Makkovik searchers find body of snowmobiler

Colin MacLean

RCMP Logo

RCMP and search and rescue teams from the Labrador community of Makkovik have located the body of a young snowmobiler who has been missing since Sunday.

The 14-year-old's remains were found on ocean ice about seven kilometers from shore.

Searchers used a helicopter to follow a set of tracks leading away from the community to the deceased.

The identity of the boy is not being released at this time.

The RCMP has extended its thanks to everyone who helped in the search.

The search for the boy began after he was reported missing Sunday at 7:30 p.m., six hours after he left his parent’s home on a snowmobile.

Police say the boy left his parent’s house around 1:30 p.m. and made a short stop at his grandmother’s home before heading to an unknown destination.

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Makkovik, Labrador

Comments

Comments

• Victor Andres
    February 03, 2012 - 11:06

My condolences to the family. I am from Winnipeg, MB. I am deeply saddened by this boy's passing, the circumstances, and can't help but feel we, as a country, let him down when he needed us most. For Search and resuce to show up three days after being asked is unacceptable. What is going on with SAR??!! This little man walked 7 kilometers before succumbing to the cold. What an epic struggle and attempt to survive. Rest in peace Burton.

• Jennifer Price
      February 04, 2012 - 10:00

Victor, to add to your comment, this country and SAR has most definitely let us all down. Two days is far to long of a response time. When a local company was able to donate air time in their own small chopper and a universal chopper was able to come from Goose Bay, but SAR wasn't able to get here until Tuesday evening and are using weather as an excuse, there's something most definitely wrong. These small helicopters are not equipped with things such as heat detecting or low level flying over water/ice. Then they say that they are only to come if independent search is unavailable!? Yes, we were all searching, but because we were, does that mean they didn't have to do their job? It's disgusting. That poor boy drove, lost, for 11 km, then walked an additional 19 km before he could go no further and succumbed to the elements. An absolute tragedy, that I hope will haunt whoever is responsible for this lack of response for the rest of their lives.

• shirley ryan
    February 02, 2012 - 08:23

so sorry for the families loss, sending my deepest condolences for such loss as a young boys life, Rest in Peace Darling and the memories your family and friends hold inside, may it comfort them in he pleasure of knowing you at this sad sad time..

• Eli
    February 02, 2012 - 08:19

Sad hardly covers it. Heartbreaking. Will we ever get the message thru about going into the wilderness alone.

• Rosa
    February 01, 2012 - 21:33

This is so sad. I so hoped he would be found safe. I cried when I heard the outcome. Little soul. My sincere sympathies to his family and friends. Rest in peace little guy.

• saddened
    February 01, 2012 - 19:23

very sorry to hear of this sad loss of a young life. can someone please explain to me why a helicopter was not conducting a search Monday. why was it just assumed he went into open water? his snow mobile found in the area. tracks in the snow leading from the snow mobile to where he was found. my heart goes out to the family and the community.