Comments

Comments

• JAMES
    February 02, 2012 - 13:47

i can hear gerry byrne, scott simms now, blaming the harper government for the layoffs. its only a matter of time folks before this mill goes down, countries no longer need paper in this computer age. GOODLUCK to all those employees.

• RESPONSE TO DISGRUNTLED NEWFIE
    February 02, 2012 - 13:12

Disgruntled Newfie said "Don't you think they can't cut management bonuses, and save jobs - I would hope to think so. It is very obvious Kruger doesn't have compassion for it's employees" ................I don't see why Kruger would want to do that? Operating with any more workers than is necessary is inefficient and wasteful. In my case, sure we could have cut management bonuses and saved jobs, heck, we could have just not cut jobs and still paid out the management bonuses....My company is profitable and yet we still engage in workforce rationalization....WHY? because we can increase our profit margins by doing the same work with less workers. And as for the managers, it is the managers who oversee the transition to doing the same work with less workers, so it is completely fair and logically for me to reward the competent managers whose ability to get the same amount of work done with less workers.....Same priniciple applies to the bonuses we give to the IT staff that led the implementation of new technologies that replaced the need for workers.

• Disgruntled Newfie
    February 02, 2012 - 10:10

Man, I can't believe these two guys above. It is very obvious they aren't affected, otherwise they wouldn't talk about effeciency! Don't you think they can't cut management bonuses, and save jobs - I would hope to think so. It is very obvious Kruger doesn't have compassion for it's employees. Furthermore, it is time for the government to step up to the plate and prevent these layoffs, and call these layoffs in bad faith, when Kruger can give out bonuses. Kruger is bent on closing this Mill as it did with Stephenville and Grands Falls! I bet they won't close the one in Montreal beacuse that is the driving force of these layoffs and shutdowns - saying not in my backyard. Newfoundland is taking the dirty end of the stick! Where is employment going in this province, I wonder and it's not hard to think?

• Mount Pearl Guy
    February 02, 2012 - 10:06

Yes and that's how you end up with short sighted managers who will cut to the bone to boost profits for a year to get a bonus and then end up dragging down the company.

• COMPANIES SHOULD ENGAGE IN WORKFORCE RATIONALIZATION AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR, AND CUTTING JOBS IS AN EFFICIENCY AND THOSE THAT MADE THE CUTS POSSIBLE SHOULD BE BONUSED
    February 02, 2012 - 07:43

This article raise two issues for me. Firstly, companies should engage in workforce reduction/rationalization program every year. The job of each and every should be looked at, and and inefficienceies should be eliminated. Often the jobs of 3 poeple can be rolled into 2 or the jobs of 6 can be done by 5. In short, there is always a way to cut a job, regardless if the company is profitable or not. Compnaies should regularly be trying to cut jobs and get efficient. Also, the article makes a point about efficiency being lost with less workers....but I content this is okay tooo in certain circumstancs. Lets say that the company cuts a worker and takes a 2% efficiency loss, but profits increase 3% (due to less wage expenditure)....TO me, this is sensible because there is a net profit increase. Lastly, I give bonuses to the managers in my company who cut jobs. THere is always an incentive to get the job done with as little people as possible. Those who find the ways to get work done with less workers are saving me money, and deserve to be rewarded with a bonus.

• J Whalen
      February 02, 2012 - 08:52

Why hide behind pseudonym " COMPANIES SHOULD ENGAGE IN WORKFORCE RATIONALIZATION AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR, AND CUTTING JOBS IS AN EFFICIENCY AND THOSE THAT MADE THE CUTS POSSIBLE SHOULD BE BONUSED "