Comments

Comments

• cc
    February 07, 2012 - 20:41

Education Minister Clyde Jackman doesn't give a s&*t! it's up to the parents. Let him pay for their taxis out of his fat wallet. Miserly Creep!

• Jason
    February 05, 2012 - 21:52

Trust me, Elizabeth Avenue isn't done very good or at all most of the time. There are A LOT of university students walking in this area and it is not safe at all and the city could not care less.

• Frustrated Metroite
    February 04, 2012 - 14:49

Mr. Mom, finding $6 to spend on a taxi each way every day in the winter to get kids to and from school will cost a parent $60 a week - $240 a month each month in the winter! You try finding that in a budget of a single parent making minimum wage, let alone someone on social assistance, who is also trying to pay rent in a town with a less than 1% vacancy rate and heat given the increasing cost of oil. Shame on you for implyiing that individual budgeting will solve what is obviously a matter for the City of St. John's Engineering Department and the provincial Department of Education.

• Mr.Mom
    February 04, 2012 - 11:11

Ms.Knee, while I sympathize with your problem, you have to understand that St.John's is a big city and your street isn't the only street that isn't prioritized. In the university area there are more people walking in that area and a heck of a lot more traffic passing through there. It's ok for the MUN students to walk on the road but not your children ? Sure, let then take a chance on getting struck but let's get on your topic straight away....LET'S MOVE PEOPLE !!!!! The city can only do what they can and I know the area on Pennywell Rd, I've lived there for years. I used to walk to Br. Rice High School from St.Clare Ave with no sidewalks clear. Cut something from your budget and get the kids a taxi, Franklin Ave to Bishop Abraham......$ 6.00, so if you go out with friends at times or go to bingo probably cut it from your budget and get the kids a cab.

• Marie
    February 04, 2012 - 10:37

I agree with everything said in this article, the policy is outdated and simply harming the parents and children forced to find other options. It's to late when an accident happens! There has to be a solution that will allow a sense of peace for these families. What I cannot understand is why in other areas the bus policy is not as enforced? I live in a nearby community and my child is on a bus route. However I know for a fact that a little boy in her class also gets the bus with her and he lives 2 house away from the school. it amazed me one day when because of traffic the bus was delayed so I drove her in, and passed his house where he was waiting with a teenaged sibling for the bus. The bus was already 30 minutes late, the teenaged sibling could have walked him there and back in 10 minutes...on a side street with low traffic. How does this even make sense?!

• W Bagg
    February 04, 2012 - 10:06

gotta agreehere. Pennywell from the cross Ropewalk lane to Linscott street isn't safe for any pedestrian in winter. If my kids had to walk that route, I'd be outta my mind. I would love to see a school board official or politician walk that route though. It would be changed immediately, and that is why they won't walk it. Prhaps take a video camera and record the commute some morning, send it to the school board, city and the Premier. It's hard to ignore it then.

• paddyjoe
    February 04, 2012 - 08:29

The city councillors should be challenged to walk this route as well. They live in a different world. They drive SUV's and take winter vacations. What the @*%# do they know about the problems of snowed -in sidewalks?

• JP
    February 04, 2012 - 07:56

I fully agree that the 1.6 km bus policy appears reasonable...but there has to be an allowance for the risk factors for the school kids who must walk on very busy roads. The ball is being dropped by both the province and the City of St. John's. If the City won't change their policy(ie - Making it a priority to immediately plow the sidewalks within a 1.6 km radius of all city schools.), then the province should make it a law that MUST be followed. This way the Province isn't on the hook financially, and the city is. And while I fully appreciate cost is always a factor, someone, somewhere has to give their head a shake and protect our school children who have no other reasonable or affordable option but walk to school on these very dangerous roadways.