Comments

Comments

• norman
    March 17, 2013 - 14:56

i fish the waterford every year and this year there is something wrong there are no fish in the river yet at all not even resident trout , i think they have a mesh by the dock and the trout cant get in the river so i think something needs to be done and somebody should look into and get it fixed right away

• Daryl
    February 23, 2012 - 20:43

I was at the river we had all the rain. I got out of my vehicle, and saw two animals on the snow near the river, They saw me, and quickly jumped into the river. I stayed there for twenty minutes or so, took out my camera and didn't move. I then begun seeing the animals race up and down the river. I snapped some pictures, and begin to videotape it. Then one started to exit the river, it came pretty close to where i was standing, and I saw that it was a Otter. Guess they came to the end of the river to feed on the fish. I counted maybe five otters that night.

• Danny
    February 23, 2012 - 10:11

In response to the person who says he's insane for eating fish out of the river. I didn't see any reference to him eating fish out of the river. Catch and release is a great thing. I wish more Newfoundlanders practiced it. As for his grand daughters. It's just great to see someone taking an interest in the outdoors with children.

• Bucky the D Clown
    February 16, 2012 - 21:23

I have to agree with what "Justin" had to say on the issue. The seal population has been on the rise in this beautiful system and is destroying the Trout population, not to mention a healthy Atlantic Salmon population that provides great recreation in April. Does anyone know if the Waterford Salmon Association is doing anything about this problem???

• jack
    February 16, 2012 - 20:50

it is a seal , because me and my gf goes out to blackhead and he is there all the time ,, full seal , it goes to the harbour and blackhead all the time

• realistnewfie
    February 15, 2012 - 09:39

He is absolutely insane for eating fish from this river. The E.Coli count is off the charts, and those "silvery fat sea trout", are coming in from St. John's harbor. I would be willing to bet if he dissected the sea trout's stomach(s) he would find corn and human feces. In all likeliness he is probably putting his grandchildren at risk by exposing them to the amount of biological pollutants in this river. There is actually a pool on this river called "syringe pool".

• norman
      March 17, 2013 - 15:00

i gutted the trout there is no corn in them or feces and the river is pretty clean , and also i got the fish tested and it came up they were a class B trout with is excellent so shut up

• Justin
    February 14, 2012 - 17:36

The animal in the river is a seal. It has been TEARING apart the trout population in the lower river and NEEDS to be REMOVED. St. Johns has the HIGHEST density of brown trout PER capita then any other area in NORTH AMERICA. Maintaining this phenomenom into the future is UNLIKELY unless we DO something about this problem.

• Joseph McGrath
    February 14, 2012 - 14:50

I know Mike Penney and he truly loves to have his day of trout fishing.To bad some one in here always has to make a wisecrack about what he may or may not have hookedDoes it matter?.The guy enjoys the outdoors,takes his grandkids out for some good fresh air and enjoys himself with his day on the river.I am glad to read your story Mike and hope you enjoy many more days at the river.

• Frank Ring
    February 14, 2012 - 08:51

A river otter maybe!!! A sea otter, not on this coast.

• Is it true
    February 14, 2012 - 07:26

“It’s the biggest mammal I’ve ever hooked on the river.” I'm guessing he's caught other mammals?????? Time for him to take up a new sport.

• Doug
    February 14, 2012 - 07:12

It was more likely a sea otter.