Comments

Comments

• sally
    March 19, 2013 - 18:22

And nobody else ever thought that hilltops actually get a lot of our rainfall and by cutting down trees and paving / bulldozing large areas this isn't going to increase our already increasing flooding problems in st.johns.... Cause these engineers have never been wrong before or anything.... or maybe just told to look the other way.... sketchy....

• Sam Bromley
    February 16, 2012 - 09:16

Of the many people I've spoke with who are opposed to developments above 190m, not one of them were opposed to development nor change in general. To portray their views as a blanket fear of change is naive at best, and disingenuous at worst. Growth of St. John's is a positive thing. Bulldozing entire green spaces, including the top of hills visible from the entire City, is not a responsible means to pursue growth. Once can be strongly opposed to such short-sighted development while being strongly supportive of development in general. The fact is that the lands above 190m are prized precisely because they offer such views of the City, but consequently this implies that the destruction of the green space is visible from the entire City. This is about intelligent and well-planned change and growth. It has nothing to do with fear.

• Chris Chafe
      February 16, 2012 - 19:48

Mr. Bromley, your love for "greenery" certainly did not stop you from buying a property that was once a vast area of "greenery". Very hypocritical on your part and others in your neighborhood.

• Sam Bromley
      February 24, 2012 - 08:13

Dear Mr. Chafe, Thank you for you comment. Please carefully read all of my statements regarding growth and what I would like to have preserved. My property in Kenmount Terrace is far below the 190m elevation. My statements are about balance. While I appreciate the passion you express in calling me a hypocrite, I do hope that you have equal verve in seeking truth, avoiding hyperbole, and engaging in responsible and factual discourse.

• StrangeHappenings
    February 16, 2012 - 01:03

I don't think anyone was aware and given it was held the same week as PUB hearings on Muskrat Falls?? Was this also rushed through quietly by O'keefe or someone? Maybe you should hold another one and inform the public ahead.

• TJ
    February 15, 2012 - 09:54

Why are people afraid of development? It's a part of moving ahead with the times,and that can be done and still keep the integrity and charm of the city. I just don't understand what the problem is, the younger generations are not afraid of change!