Comments

Comments

• Beth Drake
    August 26, 2013 - 20:08

History of heroism shown by people who were strong and generous is never too old to be spoken of.The men who saved so many lives that night gave their blood ,sweat and tears to save the sailors of the doomed ships with little or no thought to the dangers they faced themselves.Maybe being fishermen and hardworking miners made them feel a kinship with those who would surely have died on that bleak February night in 1942.They deserve respect and rememberance .

• Tammy Brown
    February 19, 2012 - 18:00

Wonderful story! and I love the way you ended it Mr. Bartlett...he was indeed a hero, and will always be remembered that way. Scholars come and go (thank heavens!) but heroes are forever. I'm a teacher in Los Angeles, California (formerly from Newfoundland) I will be sharing this article with my students this week!!!

• Rloc
    February 19, 2012 - 16:06

What would you have us do Mr. Dooley, forget history altogether? I am a proud member of St. Lawrence and am related to Ms. Violet Pike. Shame on you for thinking this historical event is not important to commemorate every year! Thank God not everyone feels as you do!

• redrantingtory
    February 19, 2012 - 12:26

There's always one troll hiding in the wood pile. ie, Donny Dooley. Surely not his real name as I'm sure he is not brave enough to post it. Unlike the people and the incident he criticizes. Why do people feel the need and see fit to be so vile and ignorant? Just because they can or maybe they just haven't grown up? Maybe it's because they have no conscience? Shame on the person known as Donny Dooley. To criticize such an historic event is to be a most selfish ignorant person. Once again I use this infamous quote. " It's better to be not heard and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt. This sir applies in spades to you, whoever you are.

• Colette Fleming
    February 18, 2012 - 18:34

Today I was a proud participant at the Memorial of the 70th anniversary of theTruxtun and Pollux Disaster. To hear the survivor, Dr Lainier Phillips, thank our family and friends who went to their rescue was a lifelong tribute to the ones we loved. I am so proud that our history includes the valour of our ancestors who reached out in love to help the servicemen of the United States.

• seanoairborne
    February 18, 2012 - 16:41

Donny Dooley....This incident is part and parcel of the great history of a caring and warm people who gave their all to save lives.Why should the people of Newfoundland forget about it?Because you think it has no bearing on present day Newfoundlanders?There are still folks alive that took part in this rescue and it takes a lot of gall to belittle their life saving efforts.In fact there are more than a few Americans that are still breathing and enjoying life today because of the heroic actions of Newfoundlanders.And they're very grateful for what the people of Newfoundland did for them on the that tragic night and will never forget itI.It's part of Newfoundlands heritage and therefore,history to keep this story alive,or did they teach history in the school that you attended?,Forgetting the history of your ancesters and their heroic deeds is like telling the Jewish people to forget about the Holocaust and the murdering Nazis because it happened so long ago.I think you're part of the generation that live for and thrive on Reality TV?And I pity you for that.In fact,I'd be surprised if people of your generation could find the capital of your province on a map.Sadly,I think, that this is what education has come to.Turning out ill-informed dunces!

• Donny Dooley
    February 18, 2012 - 11:10

70 years later and we're still talkin' about this? Come on! There must be another way for St. Lawerence to bring a few tourist dollars into the community. Enough already!

• j
    February 18, 2012 - 07:56

what and interesting story.....I first heart about the Truxton a few years back and ever since have been intrigued by the stories.

• F. Bursey
      February 18, 2012 - 09:48

A very interesting story. I knew a fine gentleman from the Southern Shore, Mr. F. Curran, who talked about this event quite often.