Comments

Comments

• Fenn
    March 05, 2012 - 07:37

This is the best story I have read in a long time. Being a former Baltimore student and basketball player, I feel so proud of our girls and the Trepassey girls for doing this for the Mobile team. That is what sportsmanship is really about!! Way to go girls!!

• Rose McNeil
    March 03, 2012 - 19:51

Being a former resident of Trepassey reading this story makes me really proud. Even though Trepassey has been a long contender in basketball they haven`t lost their sense of sportsmanship. Cheers to Baltimore as well!! A great heart touching story.

• Judi
    March 03, 2012 - 17:52

This story moved me to tears and grabbed at my heart. What wonderful students-- to put aside the glory of winning a tournament to pay tribute to a young man taken from his family and friends too soon, and to give his sister (and teammates) an honour they will never forget. Every day you hear stories of young people taking a wrong path in life. This article, and these kids strengthen your belief in mankind, and give you confidence that the world is in good hands. On March 12th, Canadian superstar Johnny Reid releases a new CD entitled *Fire it Up*. One of the lines in the single of the same name is *Ain't it crazy how one simple act of kindness can open up your eyes*. The students of Baltimore and Trespassey high schools have definitely opened up our eyes. These kids are the province's future. They are *changing the world*.

• Judi
    March 03, 2012 - 17:51

• kelly van es
    March 03, 2012 - 12:52

Sean Doyle was my highschool gym teacher and I babysat for this family when the kids were little. This story made me cry like a baby...amazing things really do happen, even in unfortunate circumstances.

• Don Lester
    March 03, 2012 - 11:12

What a beautiful gesture on the part of the teams from Baltimore and Trepassey .. There is a great lesson to learn here form the Baltimore and Trepassey teams. . That is a show of class of the highest order. They are all champions in my book.

• Brenda O'Brien
    March 03, 2012 - 10:35

Congratulations Mr. Bartlett on your wonderful story of the Emberly Family and the tournament in memory of their son, David. Everytime you turn on the radio and open a paper, all you can hear and read are stories and articles about the troubles and turmoil in the world. Finally, a story about sports which doesn't matter about how many millions the athetes make, how high the price of beer is at the concessions, the cost of tickets to get in to see a game, or a story of a coach or player's poor performance. But, for once, a story of young athletes respect for each other and respect for the memory of a former young athlete and his family. You have done the David Emberley Memorial Tournament, the parents, players, coaches and everyone involved proud by letting the world know their story. Well Done!!!

• Carlson Emberley
      March 03, 2012 - 12:52

Congratulations to Baltimore and Trepassey, a copy of this article should be printed and placed in all schools through Nl. This sportsmanship is not known through Canada. Kevin your commitment has not went on without notice you have been a winner.

• Geraldine Langdon
    March 03, 2012 - 09:25

WOW ..... I was moved to tears reading this article. These young girls are to be congratulated and commended for such a great act of human kindness. Geraldine

• Jennifer Carter Frizzell
    March 03, 2012 - 08:20

I am from Witless Bay and know some of these people. Both Mrs. Emberly and Mr. Doyle were my teachers in Mobile. This is a great story! So proud of all these girls!