Man posts video of own arrest for impaired driving

Barb
Barb Sweet

A Spaniard’s Bay man has posted a video to YouTube depicting him being arrested for allegedly operating his vehicle while impaired.

Chris Hayward, 39, said he shot the video entitled, “Dey got me b’y,” because his rights were being infringed upon. The image bounces around, but the audio clearly follows Hayward’s encounter with the law.

Subscribe to The Telegram's YouTube channel.

Comments on the video so far have not sided with Hayward, who appears to offer RCMP Const. David Loder $15 in the video, which the officer returns, waving the cash at the camera.

“He give it back to me,” Hayward told The Telegram.

“That’s all right. I’ll mail it to him.”

Hayward said he was stopped shortly after 9 a.m. on Feb. 28 when he left his Bay Roberts workplace to pick up a friend’s spouse who was stranded.

“That remains for the justice system to work out,” Hayward told The Telegram of the allegations against him.

“Maybe it’s going to be no contest. I don’t know what I’m going to do. The night before was a rough night, OK, and I was just trying to get to work. … Innocent until proven guilty, isn’t it?”

Hayward said he was working with friends on a project at his house the night before the traffic stop.

He told The Telegram he is now no longer with his former employer of three years.

He was brought to the Bay Roberts police detachment, where he took a breathalyzer test. He is accused of impaired driving, driving with a blood alcohol level exceeding 80 milligrams and resisting arrest, according to RCMP spokesman Sgt. Marc Coulombe.

The YouTube video had fewer than 700 views as of Tuesday.

“Why on earth would you post this??? You ought to be embarrassed,” one commenter remarked.

“I wanted to be heard,” Hayward told The Telegram. “I was fair and reasonable. I said ‘Yes, here’s a shot of me not looking good.’ Here’s my face. My eyes is not good. I’m tired. It’s early in the morning.”

Hayward insists he has more of the recording and isn’t trying to “compromise the image of the RCMP unnecessarily.”

Coulombe said there’s nothing illegal about Hayward posting the video, but he noted Hayward has the matter before the courts in May and has now put it before the court of public opinion.

“It’s his prerogative if he wants to do that,” Coulombe said.

And he said if Hayward were to film himself committing a criminal offence, the RCMP can seize his phone and obtain a judicial order to download the video as evidence.

But he said while Loder allowed the video to be taken, it was up to Hayward, for civil law purposes, to get permission from the officer to place his image on social media.

Coulombe said as a result of the infamous video of Rodney King, a black man brutally beaten by officers in the 1992 L.A. riots, police officers know that at any given time the public can be at a scene with a video camera, which is even more likely now because of the proliferation of smart phones.

“We’re at a point in this day and age, police officers are aware this can happen, and they are prepared for it,” Coulombe said.

But he said Hayward’s action is unique.

“I have never seen someone videotape their own arrest,” he said.

As for the $15 offer, Coulombe remarked while it’s a small sum, it wasn’t the smartest thing to do.

Loder is  heard on the video pointing out he is not trying to stop the recording and Coulombe said officers wouldn’t do that unless their investigation is being obstructed in some way.

Hayward claims Loder was trying to take the phone and was violating his rights. He is heard yelling to his female passenger that his lawyer is on the other end of the phone.

“It’s still running. It’s his phone. I am not touching it,” Loder is heard to say.

As Loder requests a breathalyzer technician for the Bay Roberts detachment, with Hayward handcuffed in the back of the patrol car, Hayward called out, “I thought yesterday was a bad day.”

To watch video, CLICK HERE.

bsweet@thetelegram.com

Twitter: bsweettweets

Organizations: RCMP, The Telegram

Geographic location: Bay Roberts

Comments

Comments

• Amanda
    March 26, 2012 - 22:47

What a freaking idiot... I can't believe anybody would want to post this video of themselves...Wow! That police officer needs an award for dealing with this guy... Lock him up and throw away the key...

• Laura
    March 12, 2012 - 08:22

What a moron.......is he proud of this? Should be in jail!

• anon
    March 11, 2012 - 23:27

This nonsense needs to be deleted from the internet. RCMP did their job.

• M
    March 08, 2012 - 19:04

How dare all of you to make such hideous comments when you have NO idea what the circumstances surrounding this are......yes to drink and drive IS WRONG!!!! and he will face punishment for that.......but relax he does have family and friends who are awaiting the outcome! And to all the Bay/Newfie haters, take a look in the mirror!!!!!!! "Don't judge a MAN until you have walked a mile in his shoes!"

• Kristi
      March 08, 2012 - 21:42

To M-March He wasnt thinking about the 100 other familys that are traveling the roads and children that are playing around did he?? There is no excuse to drink and drive.. I personally was affected by a drunk driver that nearly took my fathers life, all because some idiot wanted to have 5 beers early in the morning.. That guy could of left his 7 children fatherless. So I have no pitty for a man like that. And his family should be thankful that he didnt harm anyone and Thanks to the RCMP officer for getting scrum like that off our street.. He added this video for reasons I will never know but he wont get the publics pitty. Hopefully he will be WALKING Miles in his own shoes and not be driving... His own fault no one elses..

• w w
      March 12, 2012 - 10:59

So you must be another of those that would drik and drive. Lock him up I would feel much safer on the roads the

• Smallsails
    March 08, 2012 - 11:16

He looks like he's wearing reflective coveralls - I'd like to know where this loser works, particularly if he's dealing with heavy machinery on a worksite or something. Talk about a workplace hazard. To be at work, smelling of booze and so clearly hammered, one has to wonder about his employer...

• Mike G
    March 08, 2012 - 09:48

This shows this man,s intelligence and i use the word man loosely ... In this day in age we all know full well how dangerous it is to Drink and drive We all know full well it is against the law and we know what can happen. As far as im concerned > This guy and any one who gets behind the wheel of a car while over the limit she get no second chance to kill someone Their license should be taken away for life

• cliff
    March 08, 2012 - 09:46

What a loser. Thank you RCMP for getting the drunk driver off the road. Sure won't hire this guy to do work for me.

• Kirsten Banks
    March 08, 2012 - 09:40

Despite taking and posting the actual video itself (idiot), it's the middle of the day and you're driving impaired! What a winner this gem is! GOOD JOB MOUNTIES, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! You're keeping our roads safer out there!

• Oceanous
    March 08, 2012 - 07:12

I am really shocked to some of the ignorance towards fellow Newfoundlanders in these comments!!! Because it's only people from small communities that drink yeah right, you folks need to take your head outta the clouds and look around, we are all from the same island!!!! I agree that Chris's punishment sound be more then a tap on the wrist being he not only put himself at risk but the entire community of spaniards bay ffs! I'm sure you will nod when reading this, we all know of or has lost a family member,friend or even neighbor to a intoxicated driver and in my opinion anyone to even think of driving with any substance that can obsecure your vision deserves punishment!!!!

• St John,s resident
    March 08, 2012 - 06:08

First of all this man left his work place to go get his lady friend,what kind of boss does he have to even allow him to be at the work place in the first place,maybe OHS should be brought in and investigate this.Not only was it unsafe for him to be there while imppeared,it was also unsafe for his co-workers,he should been sent home by taxi,also being called stupid Newfies ,if most of you watch the news other then just the local news you would find out that this drunk driving is happening all over Canada and the world.As for being called a Newfie I certainly corrects people when they refer to me as a Newfie or a goofy Newfie.I,m from St John,s drunk driving is a big problem in the city not just the small ares outside the city limits.

• Patrick
    March 07, 2012 - 23:31

We have just had a horrible highway crash here in Alberta involving a drunk driver smashing into another vehicle and killing 4 of the 5 passengers. If anyone in their right mind thinks it is okay to drink and drive ,put yourself in the position of the families who have lost their loved ones due to someone elses stupidity.

March 07, 2012 - 19:52

Great job by this RCMP officer. His professionalism was very outstanding. A perfect example of what these police officers have to deal with on a daily basis which has to be difficult. As for Hayward, there are not enough words to describe that!

• Sally
    March 07, 2012 - 19:03

Ya all would do well if you got him into a treatment center . Maybe the Police will suggest that when he stands before the judge. Yes he did a foolish thing. He needs help.

• daily occurrence
    March 07, 2012 - 18:54

The sorry thing about this is, this is an everyday occurrence and not just in NFLD.As you can see these offenders THINK they are doing no wrong and that their LAWYER is in contact with GOD or something..and will pull this rabbit out of a hat and save him from the action 's of the the courts.All the while they are being mislead by the disease they have which is alcoholism(and stupidity and ignorance)....and from the sounds of things this guy is a repeat offender and has a record for violence....there is research saying that before you get picked up for impaired..you have done it a hundred times before...and to top it off his female partner is a big time enabler and tolerates this behaviour....but then again birds of a feather stick together.............. these are the people who kill innocent people....then blame somebody else.................Good job by the RCMPolice

• Typical
    March 07, 2012 - 17:51

It's obvious why he recorded it all. Remember, we only got the edited version. By him. I'll bet Heidi started recorded the moment the cops lights flashed. He was hoping the officer would slip up during the arrest allowing him to get off on a technicality. I mean the guy got on the radio proclaiming that his rights were violated. Even though he nor anyone else would be able to say what was wrong with the job the officer did, a devious enough attorney could spin something together and turn it around just enough allowing him to walk away. People who are always in trouble with the law become pros at dodging it and keep lawyers in business.

• S
    March 07, 2012 - 17:35

This man is not an idiot. He is actually a nice person who would do anything in the world for you. I agree it wasn't the smartest thing to post, but everyone has their bad moments in life.

• Political Watcher
      March 08, 2012 - 06:27

Dear S; if this guy just took the incident and moved on you may be correct: He videoed the incident and posted it on the web; called open line radios shows to plead his case and then showed the video all over town. Yup, he's an idiot

• Betty Smith
    March 07, 2012 - 16:33

You get idiots everywhere in this world and clearly chris is one. Newfoundlanders are good people and it is people like him that shames me. I am a proud Newfoundlander who don't drink and drive , nor do I have to move to a big city to have class. I am from the same town as Chris but nothing like him, and shame on anyone you sterotypes people on others actions.

• kim
    March 07, 2012 - 16:17

To Dave J...... We're not all silly newfies as you put it,you j... a.. You should be ashamed to call yourself an honest newfoundlander.Crawl back in the hole you crawled out of.It only takes an a.. like this to make the rest of respectable honourable newfoundlander's LOOK bad.

• Christine
    March 07, 2012 - 16:14

Kudos to the Const. Loder and the employees who ratted him out!! After seeing this video don't you all feel just a tiny bit smarter??? I know I do!!

• BoyOBoy
    March 07, 2012 - 16:08

A lot of people are calling him an idiot. They should apologize to all the other idiots.

• Finn
    March 07, 2012 - 15:56

This past Monday morning I had the misfortune of having to listen to this idiot as I waited in Carbonear hospital emergency room. He was there showing everyone who was willing to listen this video. Basically bragging and claiming the cop put him in danger. Anyone with with common sense could see that he was a complete idiot. His idiotic nature continued to shine through over the next 7 hours I had to wait. With him talking loudly on his cell phone and showing the video numerous times.After seeing the video on here its clear he was imparied at the time of his arrest. I commend the professionalism of the police officer who had to deal with him.

• Dwayne
    March 07, 2012 - 15:42

I'm amazed at how the Officer had to handle this guy with caution as to not "violate his rights". What kind of a system have we created??? Be nice now be nice...don't hurt the poor man (idiot)...

• DD
    March 07, 2012 - 15:27

First and foremost, this guy should be ashamed to admit he was drinking and driving. That in itself, speaks for what kind of a person he is... a big loser who has no regard for others. Secondly, to take a video of it and put it on YouTube just go to show how low functioning he is. This man needs help. First though, I think he should be thrown a stiff jail sentence for driving under the influence before he kills or seriously hurts somebody. I hope he's reading all of these comments and realizes what an a** he's made of himself and decides to change his life for the better!

• george martin
    March 07, 2012 - 15:17

Mr.HayWIRE,I'm stuck for word's and that's not me.You're friend in the car with you should go to jail also.For letting you drive..Sounds like she could make a good Mrs. HayWIRE..Thank's for the RCMPolice...

• aCs
    March 07, 2012 - 15:15

This guy thinks the officer did something wrong? He did nothing but follow procedure. All this impaired driver is doing by recording his arrest is embarrassing his self, way to show to world how deserving you were to be arrested! It would have been a different story if he hit another car or person, he probably wouldn't of recorded that!

• Bart
    March 07, 2012 - 15:00

To sillee newfie. Your comments are about as smart as the guy in the video.

• greg lecuyer
    March 07, 2012 - 14:53

This is good fodder for This hour has 22 minutes

• BONITA
    March 07, 2012 - 14:38

STUPID, STUPID,,,, NOW I KNOW WHY NEWFIE'S ARE CALLED STUPID..... U ARE AN EMBARRASSMENT TO NL... FOR GOD SAKE,,,,

• Dave J
    March 07, 2012 - 13:29

He should have been picked up for being stupid. For the idiot (Sillie Newfies) that mentioned the thing about town and around the bay. You are just as much of an idiot, that is being arrested. I spent 30 years in the military and it is idiots like you that give us real Newfoundlanders a crappy name..Smarten up!!

• Dean
      March 07, 2012 - 17:26

This why our justice system is the way it is becaue of people like you,you should be put in jail for good, any buddy dumb enought to be drinking and drving in the first place, and then record it and expect the public to feel bad for them needs thier head checked, what if you killed someone,did you think about that, I hope the judge puts you in jail for good, you sick person.

• dennis
    March 07, 2012 - 13:23

Please post my petition on this news story. Thank you. http://www.petitiononlinecanada.com/petition/update-the-hta-stop-the-revolving-door-court-rooms/793

• Stephanie
    March 07, 2012 - 13:17

This is the stuff our officers have to face every day!! Bravo officer for keeping your cool. Not sure if I could be so calm. Really was there any need of this guy being such an idiot. At least there's one more drunk driver off the road (for now) Bet ya he'll do it again.

• Joe it all
    March 07, 2012 - 12:36

I read the story and thought "What an idiot". Then I watched the video and realized that I wasn't even close!

• Nik
    March 07, 2012 - 12:30

WHAT AN IDIOT !!!

• j
    March 07, 2012 - 12:16

Bravo RCMP!!

• Solomon
    March 07, 2012 - 11:55

I hate the "N" word some people who fit the stereotype use to describe Newfoundlanders. Anyone who uses that vile word, this is an example. That word should be struck from our vocabulary.

• David Wilson
    March 07, 2012 - 11:38

What an idiot. I am ashamed that you call yourself a Newfoundlander. Wish I could call you a Darwin Award winner.

• M Matthews
      March 07, 2012 - 12:39

Well, yet another great candidate for 'Ride Along Programs' everywhere. To actually see first hand what our emergency personnel must witness, in aftermaths, when dealing with people under and influence of either drugs or alchohol when driving. People, please remember...To drive is NOT our right!! IT IS A PRIVILEDGE TO DRIVE A MOTOR VEHICLE, on the same streets as our mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers and sons and daughters. Hats off to this officer for his professionalism and composure. Fortunately, this arogant idoiot was apprehended before he caused any carnage...and hopefully, the officers great work won't be in vain when this case makes it to court.

• Political watcher
    March 07, 2012 - 11:35

The only right violated here is the right to be an IDIOT! He even makes most idiots look good. Drunk driving at 9:00 in the morning; resisting arrest; trying to bribe an officer; and to top it all off, he videos it and shows it to the world. Gene pool shallower the a beer cap.

• David Wilson
      March 07, 2012 - 11:40

Political Watcher - "Gene pool shallower then a beer cap." That sums it up, well said.

• David
    March 07, 2012 - 11:31

This person's existence is a danger to the public, and an embarrassment to civilization.

• Earl
    March 07, 2012 - 10:58

In the court of public opinion... the prosecution rests, you're honour! As if the fact Mr Hayward has phoned radio talk shows to claim innocence, protest his arrest and "violation of rights," he makes available a video showing the exact opposite. Bloodshot eyes and smell of alcohol is all it takes to be detained, and Mr Hayward had to make it worse by making a scene. Also, to everyone from outside the province... this man is not a fair representation of what us Newfoundlanders and Labradorians are like.

• Rod Lyver
    March 07, 2012 - 10:40

Great Job by the RCMP. Very professional and well deserving of praise.

• Joseph McGrath
    March 07, 2012 - 10:40

This should be a real eye opener to us and the Judges.Idiots like this who drive while drunk cause so much hurt and harm in this Province and take so many lives they need to have their driving license removed for no less then 10-15 years.This vidio should be played in court before his sentence and the time given for driving suspension once he is found guilty should be 12 years.

• Rod Lyver
    March 07, 2012 - 10:40

Great Job by the RCMP. Very professional and well deserving of praise.

• A concerned motorist.
    March 07, 2012 - 10:26

What an ass,I don,t know what point he was trying to make,I agree with Carol Ann if you are impaired at 9am in the morning,how much did you drink,or when did you start to drink.I still don,t know why the media and police constantly report these people who are behind the wheel drinking and driving,and all these losers who owe all these big fines,they know the system and they know they are getting off with a slap on the wrist.And Heidi find yourself a new friend he,s not worth it,unless you are as bad as he is.

• Sillee Newfies
    March 07, 2012 - 10:25

The guy being arrested is pretty typical for most Newfies I've met who aren't from St. John's. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised here. His sentence should be to move to the big city and learn some class.

• Taylor
      March 07, 2012 - 11:08

I wish people would leave stereotyping out of it. Bottom line Mr. Hayward is an ass-period!

• Round The Bay
      March 07, 2012 - 11:30

Dislking your comment about Newfies who aren't from St. John's .. where in St. John's are you to learn class; with the break and enters, drugs, stabbings, murders; who needs that kind of class! Do not judge people just by where they live; there are quite a few townies who die to come 'round the bay for an excursion. Life does not end at the overpass!

• Newfiechaos
      March 07, 2012 - 11:32

I can't believe that your so closed minded to think all newfies is like Mr Hayward. I was born and breed a Newfoundlander and i don't even drink. Drinking and Driving happens everywhere and anyone caught deserves what they get and much more .. Its not newfies that are idiots its DRUNKS... especically those that are behind the wheel !!!

• prufock
      March 07, 2012 - 13:22

Yeah, townies never drive impaired. *Reads VOCM.com* Oh, wait.

• Newfie Away
      March 07, 2012 - 15:11

Not all of the newfoundlanders that live out side St johns are like that, so i think you should get your facts straight before opening your big mouth. Just because you live in the city makes you think your better then us. NOT. Your just as much an Idiot as he Mr Hayward is.

• Betty Smith
      March 07, 2012 - 16:23

I live in a small town in NL and I don't need to move to a city to learn class,however I think the person who posted SILLEE NEWFIES should!

• steve
      March 07, 2012 - 18:29

What an insult to the good people of Spainards Bay.As for the comment by sillee newfiee about baymen being this way,you would never have the guts to say it to a baymens face,and we all know that. Cowards behind Computers ,newest townie self help group.

• smalltownlady
      March 10, 2012 - 22:11

To Mr. Sillee Newfies, I think that you may be the most ignorant person on this forum. It is obvious that class is something that you don't understand, as it is not defined by your place of residence but by the way you present yourself, and you sir sound like an idiot! I am a University Educated woman from the same town as Mr.Hayward and have never driven intoxicated or would ever intend to, and believe that I do have class. Please get over yourself and get a little knowledge of other areas of Newfoundland besides St.Johns before drawing to conclusions that are so obviously incorrect.

• Courtney
      March 11, 2012 - 19:12

Sillee Newfies, I have to say that your comment is ridiculous. If you think that people from St. John's do not get arrested from drinking and driving then you must be highly uneducated. Perhaps you should be the one to learn some class and not bash people from where they come from. Just because you are from St. John's makes you no better or worse than someone from any other part of the island. If you were a true Newfoundlander then you would treat your fellow Newfoundlanders with respect. We are not surprised about the drinking and driving by no means. We are all just extremely happy that this man was taken off the road, so that he can't harm anyone else.

• why did you post that??
    March 07, 2012 - 09:57

did you pass or fail the breath test by the RCMP technician??

• Lisa
    March 07, 2012 - 09:38

Not quite sure what rights this man feels were infringed upon. In my oponion Constable Loder handled him very professionally and should be commended on a job well done.

• Don
    March 07, 2012 - 09:26

What an embarrassment to the human race.

• carol ann rogers
    March 07, 2012 - 09:17

I am gob smacked. I guess you felt entitled to do this but, filiming your arrest was one thing, why on earth did you film yourself attempting to bribe an officer?You blew the breathlizer, that is the result of technology not the opinion of the officer. If you drank that much the night before to still be drunk at 9am you have a serious problem. Do you know that if you worked on a minning site and showed up sick from a hang over your supervisor would not let you go down into the mine, it is considered equally as impared of judgment and a risk to others safety...that's a hangover, you don't get a breathlizer there, just the smell and blood shot eyes would get you sent off the job site. Who do you work for is the next question, because they let you come to work in that state, smelling of booze. You got more problems than just an impared charge. This video was your subconcious screaming for help.

• wtf
    March 07, 2012 - 09:12

Looks like the product of a small gene pool. He could barely open his eyes, acted like a fool and to top it off says "lets not make show of it" but decides to post it on YouTube. Yes sir, a real intellectual giant. Too bad he couldn't be charged for being an idiot.

• sealcove
    March 07, 2012 - 09:01

In the eyes of the police we are all criminals

• prufock
      March 07, 2012 - 13:23

Sounds like something a criminal would say.

• rodster
      March 07, 2012 - 17:01

only a criminal would think that the police have that opinion of us all,how pathetic!

• Kirsten Banks
      March 08, 2012 - 09:47

Only a criminal would write this comment. You couldn't possibly believe that unless you have a past with them where you're the bad guy. Who do you call when you're in trouble? The police would be the first you'd go to. Next time you're in trouble try calling a crack head stoner or a drunk driver. Let us know how that works out for you!

• Townie
    March 07, 2012 - 08:33

What a Maroon! Wonder what she thinks of her man now!

• sandy beach
    March 07, 2012 - 08:15

i) this is embarrassing for EVERYONE...no wonder people think as they do about us on and from this island !!...sick, sick, sick: grow up and get help before you kill someone.

• Johnny C
      March 07, 2012 - 09:30

Mr Hayward-you're an idiot.

• Calgary
      March 07, 2012 - 09:38

Good job by the RCMP officer, very professional. We need to keep these wing nuts off the road and this video illustrates the character of Mr. Hayward. Brutal!!!!!

• Thomasina
      March 07, 2012 - 11:03

I'm from the mainland, and there are people like this on the mainland too.