Comments

Comments

• DEE
    March 21, 2012 - 20:11

I would like to say that first the pay is minus the benefits Scott????You see this what the skilled trades at eastern health is dealing with. The general conception that skilled trades are over paid for doing nothing is really silly. This stigma has been around too long and should be corrected at every opportuntiy. The Skilled Tradespeople at Eastern Health are nothing short of professional at their work and towards the people (sick or otherwise) they encounter on a daily basis. They are relied on heavily to keep things running smooth for O.R.'s, Lab and X-ray depts., clinics, dietry, etc.... Their professionalism alot of the time goes un-noticed and is reflected in the renumeration they receive and the demands expected of them beyond their 37.5 hr work week as essential employees. I would say that the time is here that the general public should get the facts about the people who hold this institution together. Without Skilled Trades at Eastern Health caring for the system it would be unpleasant to say the least.

• Wages
    March 14, 2012 - 19:05

From the comments made on this article, I feel NL still has the old mentality of thinking how one should be lucky to have a job or if you don't like your job, there are more people who will be willing to work at it. Why is it that this province harvests such jealousy and has such an issue with one doing okay for his/herself? It is this such thinking that places this province so behind in getting on board with the other provinces of this country in wages; employers have the mindset that you are lucky to be working with them. And for those who think unionized employees are so well or over paid, then before you comment, look at a job posting for these skill trades jobs or any job for that matter. For the education and experience these employers demand for hire, it is disgraceful what the salary is. Oh but then it is NL so it is alright. As well, what about all of those years of wage freezes, i.e. the nine straight years of a wage freeze in the early 1990s, the one and sometimes two years of wage freezes out of a 3 or 4 year contract. How many of you who have commented here, the ones that actually work, receive an increase yearly or even bonuses yearly but a unionized worker is not entitled to a raise? Time to modernize NL. No wonder so many young people finishing post-secondary school are leaving this province, they want to earn a respectable salary. There will be one more added to that increasing number of people who are moving away.

• Dave
    March 14, 2012 - 17:40

Unskilled people who are lucky to have highschool getting more pay than 75% of Newfoundland. I see you guys everyday and I know that you don't even know the concept of real work. You are whining because in the private sector you will get less pay, no benefits and couldn't hack it. Stop your whining.

• Rook
    March 14, 2012 - 16:33

Charles needs to learn some grammer before he comes on here with his ignorant comments

• Robb
    March 14, 2012 - 14:46

What a bunch of crap.........this is real union speak....hey, someone over there is getting 10 cents more an hour than me, I better strike...or at least stand up in front of some building to see if anyone cares...well guess what, we don't......we all have to take care of business....why should anyone have to listen to you whine about what you get and what you don't get......none of my business, and my business is none of yours........this union mentality is sickening.....they will look around until they can find someone in a better position, and then demand that they get the same deal.......well, why don't they compare themselves to workers in 3rd world countries....why just stop at comparing themselves to other provinces...well, it does not fit their needs...simple.........so if you don't like your job or your pay, move on.....don't complain, no one is listening.

• David WIlson
    March 14, 2012 - 14:28

This is why we live in a free society. If you don't like your current rate of pay then you move onto another employeer. Who hasn't left a job for another higher paying one. The employer won't be long getting tired of having to find replacement workers if their current workforce keeps leaving for higher paying jobs. I call it Workplace Supply & Demand. When the Supply of cheap labor evaporates then workers can Demand higher wages. Some of these guys have to leave to improve the situation for those staying around. Sad but true.

• Charles
    March 14, 2012 - 14:19

Catherine D...I have a son inlaw who work in the trade at one of those building...He come home cleaner...then he lift ...His biggest problems is to keep the ass in his pant...Yes I tell him that...he should be a shame to take a pay cheque...I can't speak for anyone else...I don't wants my taxes to go up anymore...I'm paying to much now...for the service i get for my money

• Catherine D
    March 14, 2012 - 13:54

These men are not looking to lie in the sun, they are just looking to make a decent wage next to their counter parts. They are hard workers and deserve a wage increase!

• Scott
    March 14, 2012 - 13:38

I'm getting $17: 00 per hour...you're getting $23.50 per hour...plus BENSFITS...I feel sorry for you...Your not that important to the system...so if you want a better job...leave someone else will...take your place..and be happy with it.

• Missus
    March 14, 2012 - 13:26

Ignorant comment to make there Charles. Most other provinces in Canada pay tradesmen way more than in NL. It's a shame really. There would be more Newfoundlanders moving back home if they could make the same money they do away.

• Charles
    March 14, 2012 - 13:10

BOYS IF YOU DON'T LIKE YOUR WAGE...FINE A BETTER JOB...BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO SEE MY TAXES GO UP...SO YOU CAN LAY IN THE SUN...