Comments

Comments

• Mike Manning
    March 22, 2012 - 23:37

Congratulations to Sharon Pippy and Mary Bishop for what appears to have been a very successful session. It's good to see how much interest there is in this great project. I know Aly would be very pleased. I wish everyone involved every success. I wish I could have been there. Mike Manning

• Interested
    March 22, 2012 - 14:16

Great comments by everyone.....I hope that the comments were provided at the public consultation - but if not, that folks are also sending their comments to the consultant as well......no sense in having public comments go nowhere! As the article mentioned - comments should be forwarded to: spippy@nl.rogers.com or CBCL at 364-8623 I think this is a wonderful thing - agriculture in this province is not highlighted nearly enough...there is a thriving ag industry here that many people do not even know we have.....however I do agree with Waynes comments as well regarding funding the project - and will be sending my comments to CBCL!

• wheres there a will....
    March 22, 2012 - 13:45

The meeting ought to have presented a copy of the actual will and the subsequent deed to NL, and the tely publish it. It is confusing - what is actually in the will (and the deed) and what is merely what people think are "Ally's wishes". What does his executor think? Is either realistic. It is one thing to restrict the sale to particular parties or classes of parties, it is another to forbid subsequent sales or block other loopholes not to mention powers of expropriation. What about "Ches's wishes" did he want the Outer Ring Road through his (Pippy) Park? Ally's farm must have huge development pressure on it and the tax base irresistable to a tax hungry city. How long can they hold out? How powerful would an "O'Brien Farm Conservation Society" be against development?

• wayne
    March 22, 2012 - 13:14

Marc: I think that the bike lanes were a collosal waste of money too. I fully agree that extravagant press conferences are a waste of money. The tourism industry is great. It employs thousands of people....but (in my opinion) the best use of government money ( my taxes ) is in promoting and marketting. The current TV ads are good examples of this. To spend money on the O'Brien farm "might" attract some tourists, but there are many such heritage farms in north america and europe.....it's unlikely that people would make a special trip to see this one. I would love to see this farm preserved. I would not object too much a small one time grant, but we ( the gov't) should not get into any long term arrangement. If this can be a viable operation that will make money , then some entrepreneur will step up to run it......if not then let some non-profit group take it over....but please "not on my dime" or on the "dime" of some fellow who lives hundreds of miles away in a small community that had many similar farms once upon a time.

• Ken O'Brien
    March 22, 2012 - 13:09

The public open house was a good chance to see what ideas are on the board and discuss them with others. Like many people, I was fortunate to know Aloy O'Brien and his brothers (no relation to me). The Province bought the property after Aloy's death and the O'Brien Farm Foundation will help guide its future use, including raising funds for it. This property will help us recall or learn about the farming heritage of Newfoundland and the people like the O'Briens who settled here and farmed the land. I hope Aloy is smiling as always.

• Blaine
    March 22, 2012 - 12:39

They should have a mouse circus and charge the parents a dime a piece and 2 cents for the kids.

• Marc
    March 22, 2012 - 11:13

I would rather have "taxpayer money" go towards this than keep funding bike lanes that cost a hundred thousand dollars to build and are used by few. Who freaks out about "my taxpayer money" when government blows thousands on overblown press conference? Gotta draw more tourists here to help pay for our "expenses" Taxpayer money is a phrase tossed out there too much, no matter what you believe our taxes will never be spent the way every person wants, at least it would benefit our community. And once up and running donations and volunteers could make this a self sustaining project. People like Wayne are examples of old school Newfoundland that holds us back from making the most of our culture.

• Christopher Chafe
      March 22, 2012 - 11:34

We should be more concerned with attracting new business here to NL/St. John's rather than worrying about increasing tourism. Tourists are not going to stop the "brain drain".

• Christopher Chafe
    March 22, 2012 - 09:36

Agree 1000% with both TAXPAYER AND WAYNE!

• Taxpayer
    March 22, 2012 - 08:44

I agree with Wayne. Taxpayers should not have to foot the bill to maintain/operate this former farm.

• wayne
    March 22, 2012 - 07:49

Ally O'brien was a great old character and did much to preserve the old links between the Irish heritage of Nfld and Ireland. Many of the idea's expressed about the property were very fine....there should be one condition though.....the taxpayer MUST not have to fund it. There are much more basic and fundamental needs that are currently under funded. Let the Johnson family Foundation, Fortis, Exxon Mobile or some philanthrpist step up to the plate. the taxpayers of the province or the city are taxed enough......that, I believe , is " what Ally would have wanted"