Longtime urologist retires

Barb
Barb Sweet

Specialty already in shortage

Another urologist has left the province. Dr. Leoncio Best’s office in St. John’s has been informing patients he has retired.

Best said he’s been planning his retirement for some time.

“Seems there is no replacement urologist in sight, so I had to make a move at some time and this seemed a good one for me,” he said in an email.

Best has spent 33 years in practice in Newfoundland — eight in Corner Brook and the remainder in St. John’s. “There were many good times, but lately it is becoming harder to work. The load of patients is too much and there is little support to help with the work,” he said.

“I wish everyone the best and will cherish the time I spent practising in Newfoundland.”

Asked for reaction, Eastern Health said it has had no formal notice of the resignation.

But his departure means there are only four urologists, while Eastern Health has already been referring patients until further notice to Halifax, N.S.

Eastern Health hasn’t had a full complement of urologists for some time and non-urgent patients have been referred to Halifax since 2010.

Patients referred to that clinic are subject to a triage system to determine treatment.

A spokeswoman for Eastern Health said during the screening process at the Halifax clinic, some patients may be referred back to their family doctor for further testing.

“Eastern Health continues to work diligently to recruit additional permanent urologists to ensure a long-term, stable urology service for its patients, clients and residents,” an email statement said.

To fill the already existing gap in urology, the authority is counting on recruiting three local residents, with some of them scheduled to be on staff in 2013.

bsweet@thetelegram.com

Geographic location: Newfoundland, Corner Brook

Comments

Comments

• Urologist in indore
    March 04, 2013 - 01:24

I am very happy to read your articles it’s very useful for me,  and I am completely satisfied with your website.  All comments and articles are very useful and very good. Your blog is very attention-grabbing. I am loving all of the in. turn you are sharing with each one!…. Urologist in indore

• Urologist in indore
    February 16, 2013 - 02:50

• dnd
    March 29, 2012 - 11:05

I have worked with Dr Best for 20 years. His dedication and work ethic has been amazing. We have worked through incredible work loads that are unrelenting. Anything other than admiration for this man"s work is crazy. The demand for services is unmanageable. It will get much worse in the next year.

• Anonymous
    March 29, 2012 - 08:21

My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer in Feb by Dr. Best. He was supposed to refer him to a doctor at the cancer clinic before going on vacation but he never did. We were never notified he was retiring. After three weeks of hounding our family doctor we got an appointment with a surgeon who in turn told us that Dr. Best was not returning from vacation as he had sent a letter to Eastern Health giving his notice effective immediately. Thanks Dr. Best for making a stressful situation even worse. Happy Retirement!!!!!

• Name
      March 25, 2013 - 22:41

He retired reluctantly and for reasons beyond his control, if that makes you feel better.

• Mary
    March 29, 2012 - 07:49

Sorry to see Dr. Best leave, have known him since he was a resident with Dr. Winsor @ the old "General". Dr. Best is a great professional and will be missed by his patients in NL. Many Blessings, peace and much deserved rest on your retirement!!

• Dianna
    March 29, 2012 - 07:20

Congratulations on your retirement, Dr. Best! Eastern Health may hire a new Urologist but they will have some mighty big shoes to fill......