Comments

Comments

• A healthcare worker with an aging mom
    April 02, 2012 - 23:05

Geraldine, Sue and their family never received a response from Eastern Health as they were hoping they would go away if given enough red tape and road blocks. This is inexcusable, cold and cowardly.. Sadly this seems to be their unspoken mantra lately. Absolutely disgusting!! All the best to the Hartery/Rideout family as I pray you stay in good health and NEVER have to "rely" on the healthcare system again.... Take heed everyone!

• Lori Hartery
    April 02, 2012 - 21:35

Sue...I am so very proud of aunt Geraldine's hardworking and getting back to where she is now! You and Heather and your dad fight for her. I hope you get a reply fromEastern Health now!!

• Mary
      April 03, 2012 - 08:08

I have aging parents and in-laws and have experienced first hand the lack of care (by some, not all....but even one is too many) and the over-prescribing of medications to keep them unnecessarily sedated. I can honestly say that I wouldn't leave my dog unattended in any of these facilities. I pity the people who have no family to watch over them!!

• EH guy.
    April 02, 2012 - 13:36

ROD. It is not only bad but totally dysfunctional. How much longer do we have to put up with it, until government realises its mistake,and cuts it down to the original smaller units. Get people like the old fashioned Matron in place, and administrators who administrate and not simply shuffle papers around from one department to the other (for enormous salaries)!.

• Mommy's Girl
    April 02, 2012 - 11:14

People, do not leave your loveed ones in the hospital alone for too long as it looks like you do not care for them. If the staff thinks that you don't care, they won't either. Help the staff, offer advice and suggestions t make sure to get the proper care, but do not be too demanding or they will just ignore you all together. When all else fails, you have to take drastic measures. When my mother was in hospital for six months I had trouble getting the proper care for her, they even refused to give her a breathing mask one night that she was having trouble breathing because they thought it was futile. I fought them, they did and she got better. She then got a lawyer to appoint me as her legal health care decision maker in the event that she was not able to answer for herself. Then, watch out medical staff! Show them that peice of paper and threaten to sue them if you do not get the right care and they will go out of their way to help.

• Rod Lyver
    April 02, 2012 - 10:56

How bad is it at Eastern Health? It seems that they are in the news every other day putting out one fire or another.

• nobody
    April 02, 2012 - 10:38

She got better care at the Health Science? I'm in and out of the hospital regularly for an issue and I gave up on the health science center. I was brought in from an ambulance extremely dehydrated and sick. The nurses working that night were terrible and don't deserve to take care of toy dolls in a pre-school. They were even making fun of a mentally delayed patient and kept her close to their desk for a laugh while they enjoyed their timmys. Meanwhile ignoring all other patients and waiting to find out what MUN med student was available to come in that night. I'll never go back to the health science unless I'm sedated.

• Sharon
    April 02, 2012 - 09:40

Sue, It broke my heart to read this article.I worked with your Mom when she was at Pius X. She was the most caring school secretary that I had ever worked with. Very kind, and compassionate.I am sorry she had to go through all of this..Seniors need advocates when they enter the health system.I went through similiar things with my Mom .You have to question everything and rightfully so. Keep being an advocate for this wonderful lady>

• Scott Free
    April 02, 2012 - 08:55

Eastern Health, much like the Dunderdale Cons, is managed by crisis only; once patients take their plight to the media, action is taken; period.

• JT
    April 02, 2012 - 08:44

Having no kids of my own, if I live long enough to be Geraldine Hartery’s age, my fear is that I will be under the care of Eastern Health at some point with nobody to advocate for me as Sue Rideout has done for her Mom. Quite honestly, this is terrifying.

• Penny
    April 02, 2012 - 08:38

I know how you feel. My Mother would not be here today if we had not slept with her and questioned every medication that she was given. My faith in the health care system is zero!! My Mother was turned into a zombie by the health care system and was even given morphine as a SLEEP MED!! They tried to say that she was having pain, she was NOT in pain. This was used to keep her asleep so she would not be a bother. The stories we could tell. We also put in a complaint. Never got very far. My Mother will never be the same due to one doctor not going against another and the neglect she received while in their care. Morphine is also given without a dr instructions if a nurse wants to write that the patient had pain as a reason. Should never be allowed. It was a nightmare for us and I dread the day we have to ever go back.

• Taylor
      April 02, 2012 - 10:29

I have always encouraged my patients and family to question any of their medications. I have also never passed a medicine cup to someone without telling the patients exactly what was in it.

• mainalnder
    April 02, 2012 - 08:26

I heard many years ago - and I have no idea if this is true - that healthcare workers hired in Newfoundland (doctors, specialists, etc) do not have their credentials checked and verified. It is the only province that doesn't have this basic background check. Does anyone know if there is any merit to this?

• Taylor
      April 02, 2012 - 10:25

Every March 31, my nursing license expires, and I have to show my re-newed licence prior to April 1, 2012, or I would not be allowed to come to work. I ma slo required to show renewal of my CPR certification.

• Brett
    April 02, 2012 - 08:23

Maybe comatose patients are easier to take care of than live ones... Also - don't bed rates go up faster for new patients than the rates for people who are in them for 10-20 years? (At least they do in Toronto) I'm not saying that is the case (tongue in cheek) - but the doctor certainly got what he asked for (taking the patient elsewhere if they didn't like his service) - and now that he was proven incorrect, he will have to defend his position. Timely + costly for the whole system. Although they may want to look at other patients of his that are on the same nausea drug.

• cathy
    April 02, 2012 - 08:02

sue, your mom is a very lucky woman to have a daughter who is looking after her when she can't speak for herself. kudos to you!

• Marie
    April 02, 2012 - 07:28

If that was me I would have asked for a copy of my medical records and if they were not forth coming with them I would then go see a lawyer. You have the right to answers to your questions. Eatern Health has been making to many mistakes these days and something needs to be done. I am just glad none of the mistakes has happened to any one in my family. I am glad that your mother is doing well now despite the mistake made by Eastern Health.

• Whaddaya At ?
    April 02, 2012 - 07:21

She's still waiting for a reply from Eastern Health because they don't have all their ducks in a row yet. Eastern Health was asked a simple question: why was a particular drug prescribed for this woman and who ordered it ?. You can be damn sure there's more to this than meets the eye.

• JT
    April 02, 2012 - 07:18

My faith in our health care system has continually eroded since the various debacles which have been made known to the public. Stories like this I fear are merely the tip of the iceberg.