Police not ruling out possibility of further arrests
Const. Talia Murphy spoke with reporters Friday outside the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary offices about the third arrest made in the murder case of Nick Winsor. - Photo by Keith Gosse/The Telegram
With three people now facing charges in connection with last year's murder of Nick Winsor, police are not expecting any further arrests.
But that's not to say the investigation is complete.
"At this time, there's no anticipated arrests to be made," RNC Const. Talia Murphy told reporters Friday.
"However, this is an ongoing investigation and there's always a potential."
On Thursday - nine months after Winsor was shot dead in an east-end St. John's house - police arrested Jonathan Eugene Rowe.
The 29-year-old was charged with being an accessory to murder by reportedly helping another accused man, Philip Wayne Pynn, escape from the scene after Winsor was killed.
The murder happened on July 9, 2011, at 271 Portugal Cove Rd.
Police were first called to the house at around 10:30 p.m., where they found 20-year-old Winsor dead and another man wounded. The injured man was treated at hospital and released a short time later.
Police confirmed the murder was not a random act of violence.
Three days later, the RNC took 25-year-old Pynn into custody. The next day, Lyndon Malcolm Butler, 22, was arrested.
The two are jointly charged with second-degree murder and attempted murder, and face other charges, including possession of a dangerous weapon, assault with a weapon and attempted robbery.
Pynn is also charged with pointing a firearm, a breach of probation and two breaches of recognizance.
Murphy said Rowe's arrest came as a result of information that was gathered during the investigation, but wouldn't say what that information was, when they received it or where it came from.
When asked why it took so long to make the third arrest, Murphy said, "With investigations of this nature, it often takes times to arrest all individuals involved, and information is received at various times throughout the investigation that leads to additional charges and arrests."
Murphy wouldn't say what Rowe is suspected of doing the night of the murder.
However, there's speculation he may have driven the get-away car after Winsor was shot.
Rowe has an extensive criminal history, with convictions for theft and possessing property obtained by crime in 2003.
In 2009, he was convicted of possessing drugs for the purpose of trafficking and unlawfully using a firearm.
For the latter charge, he was sentenced to an 18-month jail term, with two years' probation and a 99-year firearms prohibition.
Rowe's case is due back in court April 20.
While in custody, he was ordered to have no contact or communication with the co-accused - Pynn and Butler - along with another man, Gerry Kinsella.
A preliminary inquiry for both Pynn and Butler has been scheduled to begin June 28.
The hearing - which determines whether there's enough evidence to proceed to trial - is expected to last three weeks.
Pynn remains behind bars, while Butler was released from jail March 29 on strict conditions.
Halifax lawyers Brian Casey and David Wright were retained last month by the Crown to handle the prosecution against Pynn and Brown.
They will also handle Rowe's case.
The reason a lawyer from outside the province is needed in the case has been banned from publication, at the request of the Crown.
Meanwhile, police are asking anyone with information about the murder to contact the RNC office at 729-8000 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
Information can also be provided anonymously on the NL Crime Stoppers website at www.nlcrimestoppers.com.
email@example.com Twitter: @TelyCourt