Comments

Comments

• Brad
    April 18, 2012 - 09:31

Forever optimistic I am an individual entitled to my opinion as well as anyone else. What my family does and what I do are 2 entirely separate things. The plant is going there regardless and they might as well get the work if they can, that's their choice and has no bearing on my life. At least I'm not hiding behind a false name and will put my opinion out in public with my name attached. I work in the oil industry in Alberta thank you very much and I don't think the world owes me anything, I couldn't find work in NL so I made the difficult choice of moving away from family and friends to better myself, and I don't whine about trying to work in NL like people like you. I probably could have gotten work on site in Long Harbour but I don't agree with that environmental disaster, and I would rather live on the mainland then have to work there myself. Plus the money is better out West. I would appreciate it if in the future you left my family out of this and spoke directly to me thank you very much, as I don't know who you are I can't retaliate. The houses that were sold in Long Harbour you wouldn't get $5000 for them 3 years ago, people are taking advantage of the situation and I don't blame them. Telling me that I wouldn't make it in industry and you are too chicken to publish your name. My family knows my opinion on what is going on back there so I really don't care what someone hiding behind a false name has to say. Keep being forever optimistic because you'll never get a job over there, good luck.

• Harold
    April 17, 2012 - 19:20

Forever Optimistic .. tks for informing me that younger kids dont have to travel from LA / Mt A. heights to Blaketown and that chapel arm is their school. im perfectly ok with being corrected. but 25 minutes to nearby Blaketown from Mount A. Heights and Long Hr. on a school bus?? is that really true or you want it to be true? im not sure what it takes to get from Dunville to Laval, im guessing it depends where you live in Dunville but im willing to guess it takes even longer to get from southeast placentia to st. annes in dunville, my point being,, long bus travel is not so great on any school kids, no matter where they are from. as for sour grapes,, because Vale chose Long Harbour,, im perfectly ok with the plant being "down wind" and the vehicle traffic being in your back yard. as for trying to make Placentia look better. i find that comment a little funny but im sure you meant it in a good sense. tks for the chuckle.

• Forever Optimistic
    April 17, 2012 - 19:17

Brad - I find your comments so negative and doom and gloom. For someone who have such a large number of relatives that live here... you are certainly painting a false, negative image of the community that I used to live in. There have been a dozen or so older homes sell for an excellent price in the last year or so and they were purchased by outsiders. There have been a dozen or so new homes built in the last year or so in addition to the 32 mini homes referenced in the article. Your quote "What is left over from the Erco days would deter even the most sane person from moving there." Do you consider your brother to be insane??...Didn't he just build a brand new house in Long Harbour next to your family's home and move his wife and children here to live in Long Harbour? You also say the locals are getting a few construction jobs... didn't your mother retire from the oil refinery in Come by Chance and go to work at the construction site in Long Harbour and isn't 9 of your fathers siblings also working there too and living in Long Harbour? I wonder if they share your same views. They are quite lucky...they must have the bulk of the few jobs your're talking about. I haven't lived in Long Harbour for quite a few years but I am trying to get a job on the construction site and so far no luck. I agree with you on the conditions of the roads... that is government's responsibility and they need to step up to the plate.... no doubt about it. As for the most of your views, I think they are nothing but coming from someone who thinks the world owes them... I guess you must work in a flower shop where you live cause I'm sure you wouldn't be able to sleep if you had to work in industry!! Get a grip.

• Sandy Pond sacrifice
      April 18, 2012 - 09:42

Forever Optimistic have you been to Long Harbour in the past few years? What has changed for the residents living there in the past 2-3 years since the Vale project started? There is alot done to accomodate industry and a token Fire Hall(which resources Vale will require anyway), but little else. The little infrastructure they have is falling apart, the roads aren't fit to drive, and the water isn't fit for human consumption. The ballfield and playground are falling apart, they ripped out the tennis court to build the motel for Vale, and I still don't see the huge influx of people. You are living in a cloud if you think we aren't getting hosed. What I see is a town divided between those working and those not and people don't get along the way they used to with everyone keeping to their own clicks and the community spirit being nonexistent. I wouldn't be too proud of Long Harbour getting all of that pollution either, people seem to be under the impression that because they are storing their poison in Sandy Pond that there will be no pollution, well you are wrong. I guess the propoganda works on the weak. I figure if you were any good at your job you might have work there by now.

• Brad
      April 18, 2012 - 09:54

By the way my father has 4 siblings working there and 1 had to go to Labrador to get work because of the lack of shifts. How about getting your facts straight before spewing off rhetoric that looks good on paper. I find your comments highly offensive and I would never call out someone's family like that. I love my hometown and I just don't like what I see when I go back for vacation. Things aren't rosy as you paint them. I was planning on moving back there to retire someday but now it is ruined forever. There is a little bit of housing construction going on but nothing to write home about.

• Forever Optimistic
    April 17, 2012 - 16:53

Harold - you need to get your facts straight. Where did your information about the schools that service Long Harbour come from? The 2 schools that service the children of Long Harbour are a mere 12 minutes to Chapel Arm (K-6) and 25 minutes to nearby Blaketown (7-12) which is probably comparable to what the people of Dunville have to travel to get to Placentia's Laval. If you going to make comments about Long Harbour don't be falsifying the information to make Placentia look better. Maybe its sour grapes on your part because Vale chose Long Harbour over your town.

• Scott Free
    April 17, 2012 - 13:27

We can't handle any more prosperity than we have now! Since we struck oil and became a "have-province", pardon me for chuckling uncontrollably,our educational system is in ruin; our medical system is a farce; our infrastructure is deplorable; taxes have skyrocketed; roads are not fit to drive on; and so on; but keep on slurping up that good ole Tory elixer; repeat over and over again; we are a have province; we are a have province. Sadly, we are much more gullible today than at any time in our history.

• troutbrook
    April 17, 2012 - 12:09

I agree with Griffin the dupty mayor does need to get his head out of his ARSE THE SITUATION here in Chapel Arm is terrible the price of rent has gone from $400 a mth to $1200 a month price of food has gone through the roof it would not be so bad if people could get a job on the construction site but they can not because the unions refuse to hire them even to wash dishes or sweep floors The dupty mayor says ther are 30 people working from Chapel Arm I know of 3 and those guys are with the union REID included.THERE are no spin offs in CHAPEL ARM the gas station has a contract to supply gas to the site for 3yrs the guys renting houses to the union people do not buy any groceries in town they go to ST JOHNS theres already one grocery store thathas closed its doorsI dont know how traffic like REID said is a spinoff IT is all NEGITIVE IN CHAPEL ARM NO ONE THING POSITIVE ABOUT IT

• Brad
    April 17, 2012 - 11:48

The so called spinoff benefits of this megaproject are once again benefiting people who live away from the area. The locals are getting a few token construction jobs that will only last a couple of years until the construction is done. There is nothing to encourage people to move to Long harbour no schools, no groceries, no gas, no sports or extracurricular activities for the kids. Joe Bennett is awfully excited about the eyesore of a trailer park they have built there. The people of Long Harbour are going to live with the noise and the pollution, and if Shawn Reid thinks there will be no pollution then he is pretty gullible. Long Harbour is a town that is being used and abused and they are only a spectator of a multibillion dollar company that is destroying their natural areas. The mayor is too busy blowing the money Vale gave to them building subdivisions that nobody will live in, and tooting his own horn to do anything about the issues in Long Harbour. Guess what Gary the jobs post construction are mostly spoken for and the people have homes outside of Long harbour for the most part, thay won't be moving closer to contaminants and heavy metals. What is left over from the Erco days would deter even the most sane person from moving there. The roads are litle more than cowpaths there and the huge amount of revenue the government will receive over the life of this project should enable them to lay down a few kilometers of pavement. Something needs to be done before a small town next to a major project becomes a ghost town.

• Harold
    April 17, 2012 - 08:28

after reading this article, im confussed.. is it about the roads in L.A.? the roads in Placentia? the access roads from TCH to LA or toward Dunville? where did the information about the schools come from? St. Edwars in Placentia closed and some students went to Laval while others went to St Annes academy in Dunville. Laval is a new ultra modern High school while St Annes is a high quality respectable elementary / middle school. young families moving to Dunville would make sense if they have students who attend elementary or high school. moving to Long Harbour, on the other hand, if you have school age children. your kids will have @ 2.5 - 3 hours travel every day to get to school and they will have to travel a dangerous section of highway in order to to attend school in Blaketown. i am in no way putting down nthe people in Long Harbour but it's not a town where i would want to move my kids and have them travel such a long distance to attend school. as for the roads, i agreed that roads in most towns in Newfoundland are in a sad state. every year 1000's of tourists either enter or exit our province through Dunville / Argentia via the Marine Atlantic ferry. naturally the people in the Placentia believe our roads should get priority. wasn't gary keating , mayor of long harbour, on the news a short while ago telling us that VALE was a real financial god send to the town of Long Harbour? when the A and W plant was operational in long harbour, how many people moved in to live in the town?

• griffin from chapel arm
    April 17, 2012 - 08:23

The DEPUTY MAYOR of Chapel Arm has got to get his head outb of his ARSETHERE ARE NO spinoffs there are not 30 peopleworking at LA REID is NOT hearing POSITIVE things if anthing it is NEGETIVE ask any one from chapel arm and they will say the same .local 779 hotel resturant union local 1208 labourers union will not hire a single person to work at the contruction site but they will bring people in from all over NL even the MAIMLAND they will even bring their old cronies out of retirnment before they hire from Chapel Arm so nobody working no spinnoffs .Reid has to realize it not the traffic that is negetive its the way the people of CHAPEL ARM are being treated by these 2 unions that has people PISSED OFF.