Comments

Comments

• Dean
    April 30, 2012 - 07:41

Last time I looked Labrador was a part of Atlantic Canada, wolves have been around here for ever. They are doing very well and contrary to some comments humans have nothing to fear from them.

• Taylor
    April 29, 2012 - 23:08

If wolves are returning to Atlantic Canada after being hunted to extinction 80 years ago, we should regard it as a positive sign of nature's resilience. Also, although ignorance makes people fear wolves more than coyotes, wolves actually pose less of a risk to humans, as the article states. I am glad to see other comments supporting less shooting and more planning so we can peacefully co-exist with nature instead of tryign to destroy it.

• Fred Penner
    April 29, 2012 - 19:44

I am no expert on the behaviour of these anilmals but it might be an idea to arm yourself if you are planning a walk in the wild.

• Johnny
    April 29, 2012 - 15:51

@Jeremiah and Stephanie: Wolves are not endangered in the first place and there are ideal protection laws for them where they are endangered. This man did not know this was a Wolf in the first place, so what could he do? Not sure where you guys got the idea that we are trying to exterminate them, by shooting them we are managing the population so it does not get out of hand. Shooting something that was thought to have been extinct on the Island in the first place is totally different, there was nothing that he could do.

• J
      April 29, 2012 - 18:54

The Newfoundland wolf is completely extinct. Doesn't get much more endangered than that. But that's not my main point. As for where they're getting the idea that extermination is the goal, I refer you back to the article, which stated, and I quote: "Biologists at Natural Resources believe wolves were hunted to extinction in New Brunswick by 1860, two years after legislation was enacted by the government to “encourage the destruction of wolves in this province.”" The idea comes from the fact that the government encouraged the destruction of the wolves. It's pretty clear. I'm not against hunting by any means; in fact, I support it. However, I DO agree with Stephanie and Jeremiah because now, two provinces are completely devoid of wolves, which is unnecessary. Who knows, with a few Newfoundland Wolves still existing, maybe less people would die from crashing into moose.

• Jeremiah
    April 29, 2012 - 14:59

Stephanie, you are so right. This "shoot anything that moves" yahoo mentality is silly. Manage those animals, don't try and exterminate.

• Devon
    April 29, 2012 - 14:16

Well, I hope the results get released next week. In my mind, no doubt that it's a Wolf.

• Stephanie
    April 29, 2012 - 12:53

we need to stop shooting these animals and come up with solution besides killing because were just going to get out of hand and endanger if not kill off their existence. Like the many other uncountable species

• Rosa
      April 29, 2012 - 16:48

I hate this picture. I am so sick of seeing this beautiful animal's dead eyes looking out of my computer screen. I know wolves and/or coyotes can be dangerous, if in fact this is what it is, but overkill is overkill. Quit printing the picture.