RNC net drugs, cash and weapons from St. John's bust

Colin MacLean

RNC

The RNC arrested three people Friday afternoon following a drug bust at a home on Mayor Avenue in St. John's.

The drug investigation unit, with a search warrant, converged on the home just past 5 p.m. They found an undisclosed quantity of cocaine and drug paraphernalia, more than $10,000 in cash and several prohibited weapons of unknown type.

A 23-year-old woman has been charged with possession of a prohibited drug. She was released to appear in court at a later date.

The other two accused, both men, one 24 and the other 26, have been charged with possession of a prohibited drug for the purpose of trafficking.

Pending its investigation, police may also lay weapons related charges.

The men were held overnight to appear in court Saturday morning.

Geographic location: St. John's

Comments

Comments

• mike
    June 11, 2012 - 04:17

Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Teachers, Police officers, Fire fighters, Professors, Reporters, Politicians, Business owners, Nurses, .....do you know what one of the common things I can say about at least one or more of my friends who hold these titles? They all, on a regular basis, on their private time, use cocaine and other recreational drugs. You may have a 1950's propaganda poster stuck in your head, however just like alcohol, cocaine and other recreational drugs are being used daily all over the world by well educated and highly regarded members of the community. Demand will NEVER go down, supply will ALWAYS be there, and prohibition will NEVER work. Want to reduce crime, create jobs, and reduce taxes? Legalize recreational drugs under the same legal framework as alcohol.

• Kent
      June 11, 2012 - 10:24

@ Mike Yeah sure, having crack-heads walking our streets will help reduce crime and create employment. Tell me? Are you high right now? There’s nothing recreational about any drug. Drugs are for therapeutic use not recreation. If taking a drug is your idea of recreation, then you my friend having serious issues. So what if professionals use illegal drugs? It doesn't make it any more acceptable. Every person that I know who uses these kinds of drugs regularly are screw-ups of one sort or another. Just because a lot of people do something wrong does not mean the activity should be condoned or legalized.... A lot of people drive drunk too. Murder, rape, speeding, drunk driving will never go way either. Should we legalize these as well? Think about something productive and sensible.

• Andrew
    June 10, 2012 - 14:20

Unsurprisingly the most intelligent, level-headed, and well-constructed statement on this article came from Anon. The accusations and assumptions levied his or her way afterwards is ridiculous. Much as it isn't the guns that kill people but rather the idiots that wield them, the same can be said for drugs and the crime that extends from their usage. While I appreciate everyone's right to ignorantly rain down generalizations and prejudice from their high horse, I'd advise all to refrain from it when deconstructively attacking anyone that offers an intelligent and, for once, thought-provoking comment in the oftentimes unbearably stupid comment section on this website. Cheers.

• Amazing
    June 09, 2012 - 17:38

ANON's comment has to be the most amazing comment I've ever read on here. The only people who would support anything to do with drugs are other drug users. I have absolutely no pity over any of these people caught and if I had my way I can guarantee you no one would ever mention the saying a slap on the wrist again. Drug dealers, drug users, and criminals themselves should not be pitied and should not be given the exact same freedom, if not more, then I get by working my butt off to support my family and give them everything they want the legal way. No more of this 1-2 years for selling with time and a half time served or whatever the hell it is. Start at 5 or 10 years. Have a 3 strike policy. You screw up 3 times your not coming out. No more big meals in prison. If their meal costs over 3 bucks it's too much. Bread and water. No more giving drugs to get off drugs while in prison bull. You want something like that, get a job, get medical insurance and find a doctor for it and pay for your damn insurance itself. I shouldn't have to pay for scum. I don't care who agrees with me and who doesn't. I'm sick of the way the world is shaping up. The reason why so many children are obese now is simply because parents are too worried about letting their kids out to play by themselves because god knows who they might run into. And you know what I understand that fear fully. What happened with the days of being able to go out and playing baseball or other sports with your friends when your 7 or 8 years old and hanging out in your neighbourhood. Drug users stole that from these kids.

• seanoairborne
      June 09, 2012 - 18:22

AMAZING>>>Ever think of running for office?Please do!

• bonaventura
      June 11, 2012 - 10:32

I don't do any drugs and I think drugs should be completely legalized. I see no reason why the government should be interffering in what people do on there own time with there own bodies. Why even put people in prison? It would still cost too much. Some one would have to give them the bread and water. Why don't we just execute them on the spot? We'll use old nails as bullets to save money! Maybe drowning would be even cheaper? But then we would have to pay some one to carry a big bucket of water around. Gee AMAZING, maybe you don't know this but often drug addiction is a symptom of another problem like unresolved mental distress from sexual abuse,etc. God forbid some one in your family develop a drug problem. I can only assume you would want to help them get clean and sort out there problems rather than have them locked up and tortured with withdrawl. A lot of people do drugs and never develop a problem. How do I know this? Well drug profits are as high as ever and all that money can't be come from the poor can it? So some relatively wealth individuals must be doing drugs and somehow society is still functioning. I have to say this is one of the funniest and most ignorant things I have ever seen written on the internet, "The reason why so many children are obese now is simply because parents are too worried about letting their kids out to play by themselves because god knows who they might run into." I'm starting to think that post is satire! Parents who refuse to let their kids out of the house have serious separation issues and for the benefit of the entire family should seek medical help. I would explain to you why children are becoming obese but really if you don't already know I don't think I can help you. SEANOAIRBORNE- I'm guessing that's sarcasm? That's just what we need more of in government, self-righteous, emotionally unbalanced, egomanical, clearly sadistic, irrational rednecks. Thanks for voting Harper

• Wish
    June 09, 2012 - 14:40

As for being a repeat offender, what else are you going to do when you lose everything and no one will hire you after your name and face was plastered all over the newspapers and television? You got no choice but to go back at what you were doing- Really Anon? No choice? How about get some help and make something of your life?

• AM
    June 09, 2012 - 14:30

Good....hopefully this means more scum off the streets....

• Anon
    June 09, 2012 - 11:12

So what, Alcohol will kill more people than cocaine and guns this weekend in our country. Saying that drug pushers are targeting children because of bright-colored or cartoon-shaped pills is like saying that Alcohol manufacturers are targeting children with flavored vodkas,coolers etc. IT's all about marketing and the drug world is no different. Everyone has better stuff than the other guy and everyone has better prices etc. etc. There are serious prescription medications which also take on colours and shapes that could be easily mistaken for a tic tac or a piece of candy so get off of that horse. As for being a repeat offender, what else are you going to do when you lose everything and no one will hire you after your name and face was plastered all over the newspapers and television? You got no choice but to go back at what you were doing. These damn drugs should be made in a qualified laboratory by qualified chemists and sold for recreational purposes in a regulated market. You can hum and haw all ya want but the drugs are still gonna get made, people are still gonna do drugs, and sometimes one of those people might be a teenager but can't you agree that if people are going to be doing this crap that it should be as safe as possible? We'd still be going blind if Alcohol was still illegal! As for the majority of the posts made to this site with respect to recent drug busts, it seems that they want to be babysat by the government while everyone else is too. Apparently big boys and girls can't make up their own minds about what chemicals to put in their bodys. I don't smoke cigarettes and I don't do drugs but if I wanted to sniff some coke and pop some pills what business is it of yours? I'm not hurting you. Yes some pill heads might rob a store, a car or a house to support their habits but these are fringe members of the drug community and represent a very small portion of addicts - most of them just want help but there isn't any available. How about you stop advocating the death penalty /cruel & unnusual punishments for drug crimes and just move to China where they do that anyway. I hear they have lots of jobs over there and nothing to fear if you've nothing to hide. Sounds like a good country for most of you folks.

• seanoairborne
      June 09, 2012 - 15:15

"Alcohol will kill more people than cocaine and guns this weekend in our country"where did you pull that bogus stat from?Your fourth point of contact as we say in the Airborne Infantry?Just in the time it took you to write such garbage there have been probably 1 or 2 fatalilies involving automobiles and ,maybe,just maybe,1 from a firearm.But about twenty junkies have bitten the dust in that same period!And your' pill heads may rob a store,a car or a house to support their habits "statement is totally ludicrous!What if the car,the house or the store was yours that was being robbed?Would you still be as tolorant?I doubt it!But the most immoral statement that you made in your little legalization of drugs diatribe was,"if I wanted to sniff some coke or pop some pills what business is it of yours?I'm not hurting you"?But I beg to differ? It's plenty of my business since I live in a country ,the USA,where most of this garbage has to transit through,especially cocaine ,on it's way to your community so your low life junkies can get their fix!.There have been 50,000 murders committed in Mexico and hundreds in the US in the last 2 yrs by the cocaine cartels-- and their mules who pack the stuff across our borders every day-- and there will be thousands of others in the near future so junkies and snorkal horns for legalization like you in Canada can have your"legal"fix! And you're okay with that,huh?Well,there are thousands of American drug victims that are not!After all,you'll never have to pay the piper with your life or those of your innocent children who get in the way of the drug cartel terrorists.But it's okay if sombody elses children get snuffed so you can have "legal"cocaine?Just not in your backyard?Right?Well,that's mighty white of you!I got ya!Beam me up ,Scotty!

• CJ
      June 10, 2012 - 11:57

Wow Anon, you need to broaden your perspective . Let me just say I agree it is an individual's choice to do drugs, and just because drugs are available doesn't mean that you have to do do them. Furthermore if there was a certain drug that was made scarce by law enforcement, these drug users would find another drug to use, and there will always be those who take the place to sell the drugs that are in demand. Not to say that they should not be punished, all of their possessions should be repossessed (along with jail time), since you know the only reason they have anything is from selling drugs. There are ways to get employment even if you have a criminal record, however most people with drug addictions or those who have sold drugs either need or are accustom to a certain income and can't seem to survive off an average working wage. It is also those drug users choice to get help. How can you say there isn't help available? Most programs long term programs have wait lists, but there are detoxes and rehabs. These programs are not favoured because they are physically draining and require commitment. Most do not have patience enough to give it a chance. Too much falls on the government to provide help for those who have drug addictions, why does it not fall on the people to look after themselves? People make mistakes and should be given a helping hand, but it does fall on the person to make the decision to change.

• Political watcher
    June 09, 2012 - 08:51

Why are the women released while the males are held in custody? Wasn't it just this past week that a woman was arrested for having over 1000 pillls in the form of childrens vitamins in her posession? Wasn't this same woman released from a previous bust? When will the police and justice system realize that the reason women are used is that they will get a salp and be released to continue on with the trade.

• Big hoss
      June 10, 2012 - 20:00

I guess she only had a small amount enough to be considered personel

• Kevin Power
    June 09, 2012 - 08:40

Three more low lives acting as Merchants of Destruction and Death.