Teacher suspended for showing high-school students infamous body-parts video

The Canadian Press
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

MONTREAL — A teacher has been suspended by a Montreal school for showing Grade 10 students the infamous video that shows a killing allegedly committed by Luka Rocco Magnotta.

The teacher showed the students the grotesque scenes on June 4 and was immediately suspended that afternoon — with pay.

CAUTION: GRAPHIC CONTENT MAY DISTURB SOME READERS.

Staff at Cavelier-De LaSalle High School in Montreal’s west end say they quickly informed the students that a team of psychologists was available to deal with any problems that might have resulted from watching the video.

“We condemn with one voice the actions of the teacher who showed students a video whose content was as inappropriate as it was offensive,” the school board said in a statement Wednesday.

“The incident is being taken very seriously.”

The teacher had been under contract as a replacement through the end of the year, for a 10th-grade history and citizenship education class.

The teacher apparently apologized to the school by email and is now scheduled to lay out his version of the facts before a labour-relations board Wednesday. A decision is expected by the end of the school year, but could also come during the summer.

Magnotta, a male escort and porn actor originally named Eric Newman, is awaiting extradition from Germany and faces murder charges in the slaying of Chinese exchange student Jun Lin.

A memorial is planned in Montreal for Lin tomorrow night.

A video circulating on the Internet — called 1 Lunatic, 1 Ice Pick — is believed by authorities to show Lin’s murder in Montreal several weeks ago.

It shows someone stabbing a man and dismembering him. It then shows the killer committing acts of sex and cannibalism on parts of the corpse.

Another Montreal high-school teacher, speaking to The Canadian Press, says he has heard from several of his students who have watched the video at home and immediately regretted it.

Education Minister Michelle Courchesne expressed anger over the incident.

“It’s horrifying,” Courchesne told reporters in Quebec City. “It’s a very, very serious and total lack of judgment. I don’t see any educational value in that (video).”

Organizations: Montreal school, Cavelier-De LaSalle High School, Canadian Press

Geographic location: MONTREAL, Germany, Quebec City

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • jarge
    June 14, 2012 - 06:17

    The Telegram is as guilty as the teacher for printing this story and giving the online access information to the public. Many, many curious youths will go and watch this which will result in lifelong psychological problems. Its time for the media to act responsibly.

  • eyeonder
    June 13, 2012 - 14:57

    The teacher who showed the kids such a video does not maintain the dignity of the profession. He is not suitable to be working with children.