Here’s a suggestion that would go a long way to making your dad feel special this weekend. Direct him to his favourite chair, pour him a cup of coffee and place a copy of The Weekend Telegram print edition in his lap. Then, let him enjoy a quiet time of reading all that the paper has to offer.
Some of the articles this weekend include:
On our front page, an eye-opening story of a man sentenced after stalking a Labrador child over the Internet; the mother warns other parents about the dangers of the online world.
Also on the front page, an interesting story about housing in Botwood and more on the wild week in the House of Assembly as politicians debated the new access to information legislation.
While The Telegram website offers a small selection of our stories, and latest news updates throughout the weekend, the print edition provides readers with indepth coverage of news events along with special features, movie reviews, sports scores, entertainment items, business stories — and even cartoons and puzzles.
• Automated garbage collection? See page A8 for a story about automated garbage trucks in Mount Pearl.
• With the school year coming to a close, read this science education feature by reporter Ashley Fitzpatrick on page A5.
• On page F1, Karl Wells reviews Bianca’s on Water Street in St. John’s. Check out this restaurant review.
• Test your mind with the weekend puzzles on page F3: Premier Crossword, Quotes Maze, Whizword, Arithmetic Squares and Logic Minesweeper.
• Local book reviews on page F4. This week, “Birdseye: The Adventures of a Curious Man” by Mark Kurlansky and “To Be Frank: Memories of an Extraordinary Life” by Frank Dyke.
• Maybe you are elbow deep into your gardening this month. On page A6, gardening columnists Janice Wells and J.J. Strong provide good advice and insight. (In fact, Wells offers a homemade recipe for a weed killer; while Strong discusses ways to keep pets out of your gardens).
• For the outdoor enthusiast, turn to page D6.
• Thinking of taking in a movie this weekend, or the coming week. We have movie reviews in Section E of the paper including a look at Ridley Scott’s “Prometheus.” Is “Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted” a good family movie? Check out what critics have to say.
• On page D4, an inspiring Father’s Day story.
• Web Spin takes up the space on page D3. This week it offers a sample of the type of comments we received on our website in relation to the stories headlined “No benefits from Zamboni ‘liberation’ MS treatment: Sullivan” and “Dollars for ‘Doyle’.”
• The popular 20 Questions feature resides on page D2. This week, Dr. Tony Gabriel, president of the Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association.
• On D1, read about the success of local filmmaker Jordan Canning.