NewfieHulk unmasked!

Tara
Tara Bradbury

NewfieHulk

In The Weekend Telegram, reporter Tara Bradbury asks the enigmatic NewfieHulk 20 Questions, and in the process reveals his true identity. Don’t miss it!

Comments

Comments

• Middle of Nowhere
    July 09, 2012 - 13:29

Hey Arlen R, here's some help: "by our I mean us Newfoundlander's, employees" should be "by our, I mean us Newfoundlanders', employees."...Newfoundlanders is plural and the possessive form of the apostrophe goes after the 's' that makes it plural; you ARE talking about a group of Newfoundlanders, aren't you? I guess your fancy St. John's education forgot to include that unless you were too busy trying to figure out if your 'cottage' welcome sign should read "The Smith's" or "The Smiths" to pay attention. Maybe that money could have been better spent on a dictionary and additional "townie schoolin''...something to think about while you hold onto your souvenir piece of that fables overpass that divides us.

• Newfie Power
    June 30, 2012 - 07:09

I can't believe I am wasting 2 minutes to comment, but Arlan R (R must stand for Racist) you are the reason so many of us hate St.John's more and more everyday. Don't hate Newfies because the gov't is forcing everyone on the island to come to your city and work. Most of us are living here because we have no choice and would move back to our roots around the bay if we could make a living and raise a family. If you hate Newfies so much I'd suggest you move your prissy self to Toronto or Vancouver where you could fit in a little better, I for one sure as hell won't miss you.

• Linda C
    June 29, 2012 - 17:30

I'm a proud Newfie and most of my generation (50ish) have no problem with the term. I have never heard anyone refer to people from St. John's as Newfoundlanders as opposed to people from outside the city as Newfies. What garbage! And, Newffie, learn to spell. What on earth is this hulk thing anyway? First I've heard of it. And isn't it illegal to wear a mask?

• Expat
    June 29, 2012 - 14:45

Paddy- you are well spoken, I share a similar view as yourself. I have been overseas working for 17 years and even in the pits of Africa these newfie you discribe show up with their iliterate tongue. Co-workers usually comment with a raise eye brow. My point of view, newfie is very insulting, just as insulting as those proud newfies using the word.

• dawn
    June 29, 2012 - 14:04

Um, it's actually caste system with an e. HAAAAAAAA. Way to show off your intelligence. Just sayin'.

• Joe it all
    June 29, 2012 - 14:03

The word Newfie like just about any other word can be taken in a number of different ways. Many people just use it as a shortened version of Newfoundlander. Of course some (maybe many) will use it as an insult but that is more a sign of their ignorance than mine! Most times you can tell if it is meant as an insult, a person not knowing one way or another, or if it is a term of affection.

• Paddy
    June 29, 2012 - 12:38

@ Nowisee Uh, where did I say that everyone at the party is covered in vomit? I didn't. What I said was is that I have had several experiences over the years where some knob from back home shows up somewhere are proceeds to make a fool of himself. As for the rest of your comment. I still call Newfoundland home, I've been up here for almost two decades, We go home at least once every year, my wife is from NL and we travelled back to Newfoundland when she was pregnant so our children would be born in NL and have NL birth certificates. When I retire we are moving back to Newfoundland. I ride no high and mighty horse, I am a proud Newfoundlander who just happens to find the word Newfie offensive, as do many,many others. I didn`t leave home because I didn`t like it, I left because I wanted to join the Army and serve my country, which I have done for 17 years and served overseas on multiple tours to Bosnia and Afghanistan. Don`t confuse my dismissal of the word Newfie as a slight to Newfoundland, the province I love so dearly. If I could move back home tomorrow I would.

• alice g
      June 29, 2012 - 13:40

paddy - I find you stereotyping Newfoundlanders into two simple groups more offensive than the term "Newfie". If "NewfieHulk" is what he is named, than he has no problem with the term "newfie" so you have no business to say that the Telegram is wrong for doing so (especially if you moved to Alberta-for any reason).

• Michael
    June 29, 2012 - 12:34

To paraphrase Doug Stanhope. "If you're offended by the use of a particular word, it's likely because your parents did a bad job of raising you." Words shouldn't hurt you. Can you imagine if from birth your parents decided that you should be offended every time you hear "a-boogie-boogie-boo!". Being offended by newfie is just as ridiculous.

• NowIsee
    June 29, 2012 - 11:48

Well Paddy (Patrick) b'y I think you need to start to find a better group of people to hang around with. If your going to parties full of drunk people covered in vomit it really says something about the class of person you and your acquaintances are. While your riding your high and mighty horse around Alberta please try to think of us poor uneducated drunk slang throwing lazy newfies trying to make an honest days living on this rock you once called home. Maybe you could sing I'se the By'e a few times to remember just where it is you came from. Peace out brother, I'll have a few cold one's tonight for you and maybe say a prayer or two for ya...

• Arlan R
    June 29, 2012 - 11:45

A Newfoundlander is someone from St. John's who is educated and articulate. Newfies are the slobs from the middle of nowhere who are either on welware or are our, by our I mean us Newfoundlander's, employees. The cast system is alive and well in Newfoundland. Newfies are just not smart enough to realize this.

• Silly Newfies
    June 29, 2012 - 11:42

Calling someone Newfie is an insult the same as calling someone who is black the other N word. Typically the newfies are meet are poorly educated, drunk and not overly intelligent. I call them newfie to their face and they don't even know it's an insult. It's great. As for the interview with the newfie Hulk, I guess adding that word is the only way to make the Hulk, dumb already, even more dumb. Great job. Can you tell which province in Canada is run by a house wife?

• Jess
      June 29, 2012 - 14:14

What are you trying to say about housewives, exactly?

• Paddy
    June 29, 2012 - 11:40

@ The One You bet wrong skipper! I come from a middle class family around the bay and I myself am a member of the Canadian Armed Forces based in Alberta. So I'm definately not upper crust!

• The One
    June 29, 2012 - 11:27

What is wrong with all the crying going on in here over "Newfie", here we are KNOWN for our sense of humor, yet some of you people are upset by this simple term, and its not even being used in a deragatory way, grow up already. I bet Paddy and Bayman are not middle class people with your typical "Newfie" sense of humor, and they somehow find the term offensive to the rich elite class which is soon to be the populous of this province. I feel as though they worry that the word may somehow hinder the success of ourselves and the province, only a well to do upper class person would find such sorrow in such a simple word, even when its not abusive in usage.

• Paddy
    June 29, 2012 - 11:26

I can't believe in 2012 that some of you folks seem to think that "Newfie" is perfectly acceptable as a way to introduce yourself. But I do believe that there are two types of people who come from Newfoundland. Newfoundlanders and Newfies. I am a Newfoundlander- well spoken,articulate,hard working,honest,genuine,proud and respectful of my home province and its residents. Then we have Newfies, who in my experience are ignorant,boorish,alcoholic,lazy buffoons who think it is funny to be the drunkest clown at a party and think that everyone is laughing with you, when in fact they are laughing at you. I can't count how many times I've been at a gathering here in Alberta and some goof from back home shows up with a "Newfie" cap or shirt on ands proceeds to make an absolute ass of himself,deliberately speaking so fast that noone can follow him and using words and phrases that are in debate as even being part of the english language. Truly embarassing. The word Newfie is disgusting and I correct anyone and everyone who asks me where I'm from and then refers to me as a Newfie. I say "No, I am a Newfoundlander, That buffoon over the corner singing I'se the By'e by himself covered in his own vomit at 7pm, He's a Newfie"

• RG
      June 29, 2012 - 12:47

@ Arlan R - Are you implying a person from the west coast of Newfoundland, or anywhere outside of St.John's for that matter, is not a Newfoundlander? There are many individuals in this province who are not from St.John's and are very educated and articulate. Furthermore, there are many that have started and manage successful businesses if what you were implying is that any Newfoundlander from outside St.John's who is in the workforce works for one from St.John's. Unfortunately, I have met several individuals from St.John's with this attitude. Thankfully, I have met many more who show a genuine interest in those of us from other areas of the province and what we have to offer. I am not from St.John's and I am in no way, shape or form a 'slob'. Since I'm trying to remain positive, I challenge you to speak with someone from outside the city limits - heck, try the smallest town you can think of - you might just learn something!

• newffie
    June 29, 2012 - 11:18

i am a newffie and proud of it and the real way to spell a newffie is newffie

• Sandra
    June 29, 2012 - 11:14

Paddy, the telegram isnt the one using this term, NewHulk is what he calls himself. If you call yourself Paddy, we arent going to fix it to call you Patrick are we? You shouldn't slam the telegram for this, not theirs or the journalists' fault

• fognl
    June 29, 2012 - 11:00

Once again, people need to lighten up a bit, and not take themselves so seriously. I was born and raised, and lived all my life in Newfoundland, and I, in no way, find the term "Newfie" offensive whatsoever.

• NowIsee
    June 29, 2012 - 10:58

Lighten up my fellow Newfie friends, embrace the newfie term. I love it and have introduced myself as a newfie to people all over the world. People ask where are you from, I say Newfoundland and Labrador, I'm a newfie. Im proud of where I came from and what I am, a newfie...

• Paddy
    June 29, 2012 - 10:47

NewfieHulk? Really,a longstanding journalism cornerstone in NL such as the telegram should not be using the term "Newfie" in print. It is a disgusting,derogatory ridiculous term that most Newfoundlanders despise! Way to go Telegram.

• The One
      June 29, 2012 - 11:20

I for one do not have a problem with the Telegram using the term "Newfie", especially in this type of instance. However, if someone chooses to use it in a deragatory way, then sure, I would find that offensive. Call me a Newfie all you want, I'm proud of it as it symbolozes a particularly charming and humourously understanding breed of people. its quite obvious the Telegram is not using the term in a mean or insensitive manner, given that YOU ARE A NEWFIE (perhaps) you should use your Newfoundland given sense of humor and perhaps loosen up a little. Clearly I understand your point and concern as the term "Newfie" can sometimes be used in the wrong manner, but so can Asian, black, Indian Etc. I would hope you're quite intelligent enough to notice it is not and Ethnic slur in this article, and call me a Newf any time, I'm insanely proud to be called it, as long as its in the right sentence!! Cheers

• Vic
      June 29, 2012 - 12:23

I'm not a fan of the word "Newfie" either, but in this case, it's the character's name. The paper has no right to call him "Newfoundland Hulk," it's not his name. If you don't like it, blame the person behind the character... but I'm pretty sure you're missing his point. Go read his tweets, you might understand better.

• J
    June 29, 2012 - 10:41

Bayman, you beat me to it. Use the term Newfoundlander instead of the pejorative N word. Have some respect.

• Bayman
    June 29, 2012 - 09:51

Have some respect for youself and the rest of us, at least call yourself the Newfoundland Hulk

• Carol Ann Rogers
      June 29, 2012 - 12:28

With all this fuss, I'm afraid he'll decide it's best to leave the mask on!