KFCs disappearing

Terry Roberts

Ten locations, including those in Carbonear and Bay Roberts, converting to family restaurants

The Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant in Carbonear is among 10 such outlets across the island that will be transformed into a chain of family restaurants called Oppy’s Diner in the coming weeks. — Photo by Terry Roberts/The Compass

The ubiquitous Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant is about to disappear from a large swath of this province, including Carbonear and Bay Roberts.

The company that owns the 10 franchise outlets outside of the St. John’s area, Marquis Ltd., confirmed last week it will not renew its franchise agreement with U.S.-based Yum Brands Inc. when it expires this fall.

Yum Brands is the owner of well-known fast-food brands KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.

Owner Renee Marquis said she plans to pursue a lifelong dream of establishing a chain of family restaurants across the province catering to those seeking healthy, nutritious food choices that are largely made from scratch.

She’s calling the restaurants Oppy’s Diner, and the first one will open its doors in Carbonear, likely in August. Others will follow as staff are trained and equipment arrives, she explained.

“I’m going back to my roots,” Marquis said.

“I’m uniquely positioned to realize a dream, and it’s now or never.”

The transformation is being welcomed by employees such as Lorraine Potter, longtime manager of the Carbonear KFC.

“I have nothing bad to say about KFC. But it’s a new chapter, and we’re all looking forward to it,” Potter said.

“I’m very excited. My staff are very excited.”

There are roughly 18 employees at each of the restaurants in Carbonear and Bay Roberts, Potter said, adding many of them have long periods of service with Marquis Ltd.

So long, Colonel

Renee’s father, Leo Marquis, brought the first KFC franchise to this province in the 1960s as part of a menu item at Barney’s Restaurant on Topsail Road in St. John’s.

He later branched out across the province, establishing restaurants in Carbonear, Bay Roberts, Clarenville, Marystown, Gander, Grand Falls-Windsor, Lewisporte, Deer Lake, Corner Brook and Stephenville.

The familiar red and white colours and the image of Colonel Sanders will now disappear from these restaurants, to be replaced by a new theme and menu that Marquis hopes will fill what she believes is a niche in the marketplace.

Oppy’s Diner will offer affordable family dining with “fresh food made simply,” she explained.

“I want to provide a service to people … that includes good value, but is also nutritious, well-prepared, healthy food. The kind you cook for yourself, but nothing instant.”

Marquis admitted she’s entering an area that’s been tried before, but in many cases has failed, since many people gravitate toward the convenience and economy offered by fast-food outlets. Her venture is different, she said, because her business is already well-established, and her 10 outlets provide a “different economic structure.”

“Because I have a bit of mass, I think I can do it,” she added.

Though she is abandoning a well-known and proven brand, Marquis was careful not to criticize KFC, which is famous worldwide for selling fried chicken by the bucket.

“I’m not anti-KFC. It’s just time for me to do something different,” she said.

“I have a young daughter and I want her to eat fresh food.”

As for the many dozens of employees at the restaurants, Marquis said their jobs are safe.

“I don’t want to lose anybody. I’m not looking to let anybody go,” she said.

She acknowledged some temporary layoffs may be necessary during the transition stage.

So is this it for KFC restaurants outside of St. John’s? Not likely, said Marquis.

“I’m certain someone will fill the void,” she said.

It’s been estimated there are 37,000 KFC outlets worldwide.

The Compass

Organizations: Kentucky Fried Chicken, Yum Brands, Pizza Hut The Compass

Geographic location: Carbonear, Bay Roberts, Oppy Bay Roberts.The U.S. Topsail Road Clarenville Marystown Lewisporte Deer Lake Corner Brook

Comments

Comments

• Mark Smith
    August 28, 2014 - 14:40

It has been rumoured that something similar to the forementioned transition is slated for the Brockville store in Southeastern Ontario?

• Nicole
    February 16, 2013 - 10:25

OPPYS is the most disgusting food I have ever eaten in my life. Healthy or not, there is no "Homemade Traditional Taste" about it. Its bland and is an insult to anyone's tastebuds.That is all.

• Deborah hillier
    January 29, 2013 - 22:04

Healthy food? Is that why at least 2 locations in St. John's have already have the mary browns signs up & ready to be converted...And since when has comfort food, especially NL traditional food been deemed healthy? I am gonna miss toonie tuesdays...please someone jump on this and become a francise owner!!!

• Jason
    December 19, 2012 - 12:32

I work at KFC. I cook. I best cook they have. I need new job. Hire me

• Unsatisfied Customer
    December 16, 2012 - 06:37

My husband and I just ate at the Oppy's in Carbonear.....(Dec 15/12) The food was horrible. The fountain pop was flat and tasteless, I had fries, D & G, the fries were burned, or possible fried for the 2nd time that day. The gravy was absolutely tasteless. I salted it 3 times and vinegared it twice, just to make it edible...............My husband had a clubhouse and fries......his pop was also flat and tasteless, fries were same as mine, the mayo on the clubhouse had no taste, the coleslaw was bland, and when he asked for ketchup.....it too had bery little taste.....Not sure how anyone can ruin a clubhouse sandwich and fries, but Oppy's did it in fine style. I would suggest that instead of cheaping out with no name supplies, that you invest in Miracle Whip, Kraft and Heinz.... We won't be back. After our experience, someone told us that the Oppy's in Grand Falls or Gander was horrible too.

• ltsn
      January 07, 2013 - 07:00

If you consider food salted three times and/or vinegared twice edible, the problem isn't the food, it's your taste buds, or lack thereof.

• Tony
    December 15, 2012 - 23:42

Newfoundland food healthy? Really.

• Paul Delaney
    July 17, 2012 - 18:24

I very much like the sound of this. If they can produce good fresh food that people will eat again, then this will be good for many. When young we would occasionally have some of the various fast foods, like A&W, but maybe only once a month. But we were also very active, so we never gained weight. In NL it's easy to see the effect of fast foods, with grease and chips and Pepsi, along with decreased activity due to loss of the fishery and traditional life along with the onset of TV and computers. So I agree with Chis and others that this should be looked upon as a positive thing and I wish them all the success in NL. If near one at the right time I will certainly offer my support by dropping in.

• Chris
    July 15, 2012 - 10:42

Despite all the negative comments, I really hope it works out. This is good for the province in my mind. People come to visit us in Newfoundland, and want to try Newfoundland food, and it is often hard to direct them somewhere decent. Not to mention what has now become "Newfoundland food" in day-to-day living has become fast food/deep fried. For all the haters who try and imply the traditional diet was so unhealthy, I say not so fast. It is the current fast food, deep fried, carbo overload, "chips and pop" diet that has made us fat. My grandparents on both sides ate salt beef true, but how many root vegetables, greens, fresh fish,seal,berries did they eat with it? How much physical activity did they do? You bet lots. If we all could eat more/live more off the land like we had been, we wouldn't be faced with an obesity epidemic. Like I said, in all respects, I really hope this works, and I for one will rally hard behind her.

• clearasmud
    July 14, 2012 - 00:22

well my favourite food will be closing...KFC closing in Corner Brook...here i was wishing they would put one up on the hill for easier parking...the best chicken anywhere (my Preference)the difference in St. John's chalet and the Corner Brook was maybe the extras that was in the restaurant...the CB store was a hole in the wall compared to SJ...i hope someone picks it up...the food may not be healthy but neither is the over sprayed bug repel that is sprayed on all the fresh fruit...yupp...i bet that is healthy..when we grow up and move away from our parents we then should be allowed to buy whatever we want for supper and not have the only choice be a healthy restaurant...i can't remember the last time i had a healthy meal and enjoyed it,,,yuck...life is short try to be happy or as happy as you can be because if the fried food or insect repellant don't kill us something else will...i will get my KFC tomorrow just in case they do something crazy and close the joint down...gl to all that hope the restaurant can stay here in town

• Away
    July 12, 2012 - 06:13

Implying its some form of discrimination against "baymen" is what is entirely wrong with the mind set of too many people in the CB area - surely you cannot be serious. I grew up in CB and for the last 40 years its been boohoo east of the overpass gets left out. Now there might be some truth in this on governmental things but a fast food restaurant chain - come on buddy! I'm going to assume here that once this lady gives up her franchise agreement - any "baymen" that wanted one could go get one and open their own KFC. It's not the responsibility of Ms. Marquis that someone else opens a KFC or you keep yours. Her money, her business. If you don't like your options - perhaps someone on the west coast should step up to the plate and make the investment its the responsibility of the residents of the community to invest in their community - not anyone else's.

• robert dunning
    July 11, 2012 - 17:32

being on Vancouver island and seeing so few KFC, i really need my chicken fix. so anyone on the rock wants to open one here in Comox, BC, please do. salivating already!

• CBGirl
    July 11, 2012 - 15:13

Healthy food? Per the article in the CBC today (in the offbeat section oddly enough) she mentions cooking her Aunt's recipes like Ribs, Chicken Pot Pie and Macaroni and Cheese. What the people of the world call Comfort Food. While this is a slight incease in the nutritional value in terms of vitamins and minerals, the amount of fat, processed flour and salt will most likely remain the same with those specific menu items. And NLers are known for being picky ('This Mac and Cheese is not like Moms, so I won't eat there again'). The places I feel bad for are the areas which already have "Mom and Pop' restaurants offering comfort food on their menus, even as weekly specials (like those places with Cold Plates and Jiggs Dinner). Most of the affected towns do have these type of establishments. Why do we always have to come to the 'DQ in Corner Brook' argument? Those in the know realize that DQ could have opened in any location in the city at any time after it closed, but the franchise holder would not let go of the license nor would he reopen...anywhere. There is no shortage of places it could have went in CB. It would have thrived anywhere, especially for the Ice Cream alone (DQ can now be 'Ice Cream' or 'Ice Cream and Burgers' type places now. As the Franchisee would have to re-brand the place with DQs new branding, I would imagine that was a deal breaker in itself. As for Quizno's (And Mr Sub owned by the family of the DQ License), their failure was based solely on the stranglehold that Subway has in CB with its three locations (the aforementioned pickiness being key). Oppys success will be based on a few factors- Quality of Service, knowledge of the local tastebuds, and its established competition. I guess a Cora's (Breakfast) franchise was too expensive. THAT is the Franchise I would like to see across NL. I'd put my money on Gluten Free Bakeries before opening a chain of Small Town Comfort Food restaurants.

• George
      July 11, 2012 - 23:12

CBGIRL, another who can't do sums, and doesn't understand healthy. Though I do agree about her Corner Brook comment. A Cora's franchise runs around $500,000, the average min cost of a KFC outlet is $1.3M. Cora's is a breakfast and lunch operation. a/ Newfoundlanders do not go out for breakfast, b/ you can't run a profitable business on lunchtime trade only. Excluding salads, Cora's is a waffle, french toast and crepe diner, all are 'fried' in butter. Don't get me wrong, I love butter, in moderation, and salt. I'm sick of bland food, just use the right kind of salt, FYI your body cannot survive without it. You wouldn't get a single investor for a gluten free establishment either. The biggest problem with Newfoundlanders, is a/ the only seasoning they have ever cooked with is salt and pepper, b/ they wont try anything new. The reason 'mom & pop' style eateries close here, like the one that closed this week in CBN, are that they served up frozen crap. 4x4 fish, with raw batter and breaded chicken you wouldn't feed you cat, gravy that tastes like packet water and a 1 1/2 wait for takeaway are the road to fail. Come to my house, Jamaican jerk chicken with rice and black beans, traditional Hungarian Goulash ( not pasta ketchup and ground beef ) roast beef and turkey dinner with herbed scratch gravy made with white or red wine, bay, thyme and a celery onoin carrot base.

• Shawn
    July 11, 2012 - 13:04

With KFC being quite profitable in both CB and DL(and I'm sure the other locations as well), along with the fact that the KFC Franchise setup and fee's are not as expensive as alot of the other big name brandings, I would think there is already a new franchisee in the works or soon to be. Look at this a an opportunity for CB to acquire two new restaurants, The new branding of Oppy's Diner as well as a new KFC under a new owner. I wish Mrs Marquis the best of luck with her new direction. On another note, CB truly has a warped sense of reality when the hottest topic of the day in the Western Star is a local fast food joint closing up.

• Frank
      July 12, 2012 - 07:59

It's a small town, rarely does anything more significant than a local fast food joint closing, happen here.

• Mr Corner Brook
    July 11, 2012 - 07:57

First we're told we may be losing our mill and now Kentucky Fried! Maybe David is right! Is Corner Brook doomed? Naw, we'll be fine. No KFC? What odds. And,no; there's no conspiracy or discrimination here. It's just a business decision! And I truly doubt that the closure of a greasy chicken joint is any indication of a larger market trend. Some people read way too much into things! Lol

• thedreamer
      July 11, 2012 - 11:59

Embrace the change :) You will see someone start up a KFC franchise at Murphy Square or somewhere else. Didnt Quisnos only last a few months? Swiss Chalet and Harveys were horrible and the infamous Summit took a plunge. Now you finally have a Sushi place, some amazing pizza places and the shift is turning away from fastfood. I think your body will love you for it.

• George
    July 11, 2012 - 07:40

Jack, you really are a plonker and should check out your facts before spouting off. As a franchise operator paying $67,500 to renew, $99,000 pa in royalties, $19,240pa for computer maintenance and 7%pa of gross sales for local and national advertising, I wouldn't renew either if I was an owner. Note I said "owner", the franchise operator owns the building, only signage is the property of Yum. As a consumer, I am sick of being ripped off by fast food chains who charge Canadians more than their US customers, even in the UK KFC is way cheaper than it is here. The same goes for DQ, McDonalds, Subway, BK and many others. I will certainly try the new 'fresh' food on offer at Oppy's, and as a "Bayman" will be one of the first to do so in Carbonear. If the food is up to scratch and at a realistic price, I will dine there often.

• Jack
    July 11, 2012 - 06:04

Dan, its not about civil rights, its about fairness. When St. John's gets most of the popular fast food and family restaurant chains found in most of Canada, but the rest of the island doesn't, then you know that something is wrong, and that is not acceptable for a socially liberal society like Newfoundland and Labrador. Secondly, when I was living in my home province, Nova Scotia, most of their towns have fast food and family restaurant chains similar to the ones found in St. John's, thus further augmenting my argument about the fairness issue in getting access to them in the rest of the island. Case in point, the New Glasgow area, which has similar to population levels to Corner Brook, has Swiss Chalet and Montana's, but not Corner Brook.

• Frank
      July 11, 2012 - 12:43

We have to suffer to live here. Can't have all of the mainland things here too.

• buckwild
      July 11, 2012 - 14:46

My oh My you must be 400 pounds and have the stomach the size of the Bay of Islands. Get over it. It wouldnt hurt you to exercise, get healthy before you in a plot over in Bottle Cove. *Slaps forehead*

• Jaime Marie Brennan
    July 10, 2012 - 18:13

KFC is disgusting and deserves to be shut down. That is all, well except to say I think Jack is a nut.

• ExPat
    July 10, 2012 - 18:03

A lot of odd comments about discrimination in this forum. The loss of KFC may be disappointing but what is the real loss? The void will be filled by Miss Marquis' new restaurant or another franchisee. And while it's great to get healthier fare I also hear that there are economic reasons for the switch as the requirements for constant upgrades to store front/equipment can be quite demanding. Regardless I'd rather eat at home and if a lack of options requires me to be more creative then so be it.

• Linda
    July 10, 2012 - 17:37

Fantastic news! We are long over due in moving away from deep fried food-like stuff and toward healthy, real food. Looking forward to this!

• Melinda
    July 10, 2012 - 15:49

No one cares!! Get over it! Life goes on!!

• DAN
    July 10, 2012 - 13:55

JACK, I think you're getting a bit too excited about this man.. It's not a civil rights issue, it's a fast food chain closing. No one is losing their, if anything people might be a bit healthier. I think if you're really that worried about people getting their greasy fried chicken you could take this opportunity to cash in and be of service to the poor marginalized KFC-less and therefore second class citizens. Otherwise chill out.

• Raeiee
      July 10, 2012 - 17:46

wondering if this includes the KFC in Stephenville ?

• Information-Based
      July 11, 2012 - 16:00

So, Raeiee, you are wondering basically if Stephenville is in St. John's.

• CBROOKER
    July 10, 2012 - 13:48

Does this transformation include the Corner Brook KFC location?

• Gavin
      July 10, 2012 - 14:57

Yes, it does include Corner Brook. Pretty much all KFC locations on the island, with the exception of St.John's.

• doubledown
    July 10, 2012 - 13:01

Jack, I didn't realize that having a KFC was a civil right. I'm so glad that decades of civil rights protesters have marched on the Confederation building to bring KFC franchises to the fried chicken starved "Baymen". A few comments: 1. Nobody is "forced" to buy fried chicken. 2. A businessperson is permitted to open/close businesses as they see fit. That is how franchising (and business in general) works. 3. The lack of a KFC in any particular town is not discrimination. Of all the ways that people try to drive wedges between Baymen and Townies, this is among the funniest. 4. I'm glad to see that you like the expensive and poor quality fried chicken products from Mary Brown's (your words, not mine). 5. I'll be thinking of you as I stop into our friendly neighborhood KFC on Freshwater Road on my way home. One doubledown for the road, please.

• Steamer
    July 10, 2012 - 12:48

Jack, are you bloody serious? I don't think too many people besides yourself are going to lose sleep on this issue. I'm wondering if those are troll posts... Throwing around words like discrimination in a discussion about a fried chicken franchise is ridiculous, to say the least. Marquis Ltd. has decline to carry the KFC name brand, but you better believe that someone else was rubbing their paws this morning in anticipation of taking over some lucrative KFC franchises... The owner even acknowledged that in the article! By the way, best of luck to Marquis - I am interested to see if she makes this transformation work... I hope the name has some special significance, because it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue - I can't see its value from a marketing point of view.

• Jack
      July 10, 2012 - 13:26

Steamer, obviously, you haven't live in the Corner Brook area long enough. Over the years, Corner Brook has lost many great national chain franchises and they didn't come back, including Swiss Chalet, Harvey's, Quizno's, and most recently, Dairy Queen after Valley Mall got rid of their food court and replaced it with a junk store like Hart. Based on the Corner Brook experience, if KFC closes there, it will likely not come back, making it one of Canada`s largest settlements not to have a KFC franchise. To add insult to injury, while other communities with similar size to Corner Brook in Atlantic Canada have other good quality restaurants like Boston Pizza, Corner Brook doesn`t have it. The lessons learned from living in the Corner Brook area for four years is that once a popular fast food restaurant franchise is gone, such as Quizno`s or Dairy Queen, they will never come back, and that`s why I`m worried that KFC will do the same to this city for good as well.

• David
      July 10, 2012 - 14:41

Jack: Heres' a tip ---- Corner Brook is and has exactly what Corner Brook should be and get. It is the absolutely elitist-yet-clueless opinions of business, investment, and the market that infects Corner Brook like the plague, makes people feel and act immensely entitled, and has played an enormous role in creating the backwater, decaying town on death watch that Corner Brook is today. Your slur against Hart Stores is quintessential Corner Brook. Wake up and get over yourselves....try at least sober up for the funeral.

• Information-Based
      July 11, 2012 - 16:16

Jack, you poor soul - you think Boston Pizza is a "good quality restaurant"? You must never have eaten there in your life, or else you have never set foot in an actual good quality restaurant before.

• Darcy Fitzpatrick
    July 10, 2012 - 12:36

Jack, I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic. No one anywhere is owed a KFC franchise in their area. I can appreciate that some people might love the stuff, but you can't honestly believe that those people are being discriminated against because their favourite chicken chain is closing down in favour of a new direction for the owner, can you? I applaud Renee Marquis for her bravery in leaving behind such a sure thing to pursue her dream. We need more people like her in our great province, and more restaurants like the ones she's planning on opening by the sounds of it.

• Jack
      July 10, 2012 - 13:30

Darcy, the reason I'm saying that major centres outside the Greater St. John's area are discriminated when it comes to major restaurants is that while the city gets most of the well known restaurant franchises, other major centres in the province, particularly Corner Brook, don't have them. Besides, Corner Brook has already lost enough major restaurant chains, Dairy Queen being a good example, and they never came back. KFC will be next.

• Information-Based
      July 11, 2012 - 14:43

Jack, spare the trite hysteria - you talk about fast food franchises as if they are inherently or even generally a good thing for people and their diets and the economy. They are not. Try disproving that, perhaps, if you think you have a point, but I won't be holding my breath.

• Jeremiah
    July 10, 2012 - 11:26

After years of selling deep fried, artery clogging, heart stopping junk food now you want to try selling the "healthy" stuff. Guilt perhaps?

• Jack
      July 10, 2012 - 12:19

After a famous family diner in the Cape Breton area, Jasper's, was closed in the late 2000's due to tough competition with fast food and national family restaurant chains, I agree that Renee Marquis is treading in dangerous territory as the market conditions are in favour of fast food as opposed to more expensive and time consuming family restaurants similar to Oppy's Diner. If Renee Marquis plans to go ahead with Oppy's, hope she will not make the same mistakes like Jasper's.

• ExPat
      July 10, 2012 - 18:06

I don't really buy that argument either. It's always about the money. Otherwise she would just branch out simultaneously or convert one at a time to see if it works first.

• Unfortunate Son
    July 10, 2012 - 11:20

There's a lot of happy arteries today.

• Jack
      July 10, 2012 - 11:57

There's a lot of happy arteries but a lot of heartache and betrayal towards "Baymen" as they will not have a KFC Franchise anymore, and have to settle for more expensive and poor quality fried chicken products from Mary Browns (even though I love both). As for Renee Marquis, having new business ventures is ok as long as loyal KFC customers are not used as sacrificial lambs in the process, and as a common business practice in the franchising industry, find another franchise owner to keep loyal customers in the process. Save our KFC.

• Llewellyn
      July 11, 2012 - 07:30

Hey Jack, I lost my beloved Taco Bell from St. John's in 2009. **it Happens.

• Elizabeth
    July 10, 2012 - 11:19

I wish all the luck to this lady and her future endeavors. I say look out to the kfc in town. The ones who manage the one on Torbay Rd. by Stavanger Drive are ridiculous. I've been there many a time and they are downright saucy and always out smoking by the garbage dumpsters. From the staff to the management, I'm not interested in inhaling fumes from your dirty cigarettes and the way they treat their staff is ridiculous! I don't know how they've managed to stay there so long...the owners must be desperate.

• David
    July 10, 2012 - 11:09

This is not news...it is an ad for a new business, just like any minute thing to do with Apple Corporation. C'mon Telly....get into the NEWS business .

• Dave Sturge
      July 10, 2012 - 12:23

It may not be news for you but it is news for the people of the communities whose jobs may be affected by the transition of the restaurant to a new format. You need to chill out.

• David
      July 10, 2012 - 14:30

Well Dave, why should anyone here care about these people's jobs? These are EXACTLY the jobs that elitist twerps in this province, likely including you, dismissed and ridiculed when the changes to EI were announced......McDonalds, Tim Horton's, Wal Mart -- not fit for people of your standing and stature! I'd think you'd be celebrating their emancipation.

• Mr Corner Brook
      July 10, 2012 - 20:01

David by'. You need to chill out. You're really down on Corner Brook aren't you?! Someone or something really ruffled your feathers here didn't they(woman maybe)? Give it a rest. And ya, it IS newsworthy. Must be interesting, it got your mouth going...yet again!!! That being said, I don't exactly see any discrimination or conspiracy Jack.. I'd love to get one of those "Save Our KFC" T-shirts though! You should think about it!Lol

• Llewellyn
      July 11, 2012 - 07:29

Since there are limited dining options in Corner Brook, I think this news story is of interest to me.

• Watchdog
    July 10, 2012 - 11:02

I wish Renee well with this endeavor. We need more healthier alternatives, and i for one will be looking forward to checking it out.

• Jack
      July 10, 2012 - 11:34

Watchdog, having an Oppy's is ok as long as they found a new Franchisor for their Kentucky Fried Chicken outlets first instead of leaving "Baymen" out in the process. That's why I'm ashamed of Renee Marquis for discriminating against Newfoundlanders and Labradorians outside the Greater St. John's area residents as they will be forced to buy fried chicken from Mary Brown's, which is far more expensive and typically greasier than KFC. Because Franchises are legally property of YUM Brands and KFC according to the law, they should make a decision to close KFC outlets, NOT the Marquis Family. Until another Franchisor is found for the effected KFC's, the Marquis should not be allowed to close them and convert it to Oppy's. Its the only way to be fair to every single Newfoundlander and Labradorian, Bayman and Townie alike. Until then, lets SAVE OUR KFC as YUM Brands owns them, not the Marquis Family.

• SimpleMinded
      July 10, 2012 - 13:00

For the information of the peanut gallery, Miss Marquis only owns the KFC franchises that are outside of St. John's. The ones within St. John's are owned by another company. Your "poor baymen getting screwed again" argument holds no merit here.