UPDATE: Family escaped fire that destroyed home

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Neighbour says explosion rocked home, followed by a cloud of smoke

Firefighters are on the scene this hour of a house fire on Balsom Street in Clarenville which began in the garage but quickly enveloped the building, prompting emergency crews to shut down the street.

Onlookers were asked to keep a respectable distance while crews worked to extinguish the blaze, with one area resident concerned about full propane tanks not far from the blaze.

Darrell Duke, who lives in the home adjacent to the one in which the fire began was warned that should the propane tanks he recently filled catch, his home too could go up in flames. 

However, the fire appeared to be contained by crews, and fortunately the prevailing winds were blowing in the opposite direction of Duke’s home.

“About half an hour ago I heard a bang,” Duke said, putting the time of him noticing the fire at 12:15 p.m.

There was an explosion and then a big pile of smoke. - Darrell Duke, next door neighbor.

“There was an explosion and then a big pile of smoke.”

Duke said he was sitting down to dinner when he heard the bang.  

He quickly exited his home with his wife and two young children and said his concern now rests with the homeowners and any pets that may have been in the building.

Duke himself has three cats.

He also said prior to the fire, his next door neighbor had been working on a car in his garage.

At this point it has no been confirmed whether there were any injuries in the fire.

Fire crews from the Clarenville Fire Department are still on the scene.

•••

(Earlier story)

A man, woman and their daughter were not injured when they escaped a house fire in Clarenville today.

The RCMP says that shortly after noon, police and the local fire department responded to the fire and found the home engulfed in flames.

Preliminary investigation by the RCMP has revealed that the homeowner was working on a vehicle inside the attached garage where the fire is believed to have started.

The homeowners, Ross and Jewell Avery, and their daughter, were able to successfully escape from the residence without any injuries.

There is extensive damage to the residence and heat damage to the residence next door. 

All homes in the vicinity were evacuated by the RCMP.

Clarenville Fire Department and the RCMP are still on scene, however, the fire has been extinguished.The RCMP are continuing to investigate the fire scene along with the Fire Commissioner's Office.  

Organizations: RCMP, Clarenville Fire Department

Geographic location: Clarenville, Fire Commissioner

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments