Transocean oil rig ‘Henry Goodrich’ in Mortier Bay. Paul Herridge Photo
The offshore drill rig Henry Goodrich is in the process of being towed to Conception Bay South and will get there in about three days, according to a notice issued by the offshore regulator.
A Husky Energy spokeswoman said the tow to C.B.S. is “to facilitate our review of last week's incident.”
A Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board (CNLOPB) spokesman has told The Telegram the rig is being brought to land by the company. The move was not ordered by the regulator.
Operations aboard the Henry Goodrich had been on hold since a close call onboard — a "dropped object" incident — Thursday afternoon, Aug. 23.
The company has been conducting an investigation into what caused a hydraulic cylinder, part of the equipment that handles the drill string on the rig floor to be dropped during work on board.
There were no injuries in the event, but operations were expected to be offline for a few days, according to a company spokeswoman at the time, to allow time for the company to investigate.
Safety officers from the CNLOPB have been in contact with the company and the board spokesman has stated operations on the Henry Goodrich will not be allowed to resume until the chief safety officer signs off.
"The board will receive a report from the company once their investigation is complete. We will review it to determine if any further action is necessary by them or by us," stated an email from the board rep earlier this week.
The Henry Goodrich is being used by Husky to drill a development well at the North Amethyst site, a satellite of the White Rose oilfield.