Blind dog needs help

Andrew
Andrew Robinson

Heavenly Creatures covering surgery; wants home for husky mix

Tyson, a blind husky mix, will undergo surgery today to deal with perianal tumours. — Submitted photo

A local charity dedicated to animal welfare is asking the public to help out a blind dog scheduled to undergo surgery today.

Tyson is a 6 1/2-year-old husky mix that has been blind for most of his life.

Jessica Rendell of Heavenly Creatures said the 80-pound dog needs to be treated for perianal tumours.

“Basically, he’s been dealt blow after blow,” she said.

Found as a puppy six years ago in an emaciated state on the streets of a reserve in Quebec, Tyson had lost half his tail due to frostbite.

Rendell said his blindness started setting in at the age of six months, and Tyson was completely blind by the age of two years.

His owners eventually moved to Newfoundland and Labrador, keeping Tyson indoors. When they moved again for work purposes, Tyson was passed on to relatives, who chose to keep the dog outdoors in a pen.

“Can you imagine being blind and stuck in a box?” asked Rendell.

Tyson’s owners decided last month to euthanize the dog, but Rendell said it was fortuitous that someone brought his plight to Heavenly Creature’s attention. The owners instead agreed to hand over the dog to the organization.

A recent visit to a veterinarian detected the presence of two perianal tumours. Rendell said the condition is common in middle-aged, unneutered dogs. The tumours can grow to be large in size, affecting a dog’s ability to sit or urinate.

“We’re going to get (the tumours) off and then have him neutered so they don’t regrow, and then hopefully we’ll get him all fixed up and he can start a new life.”

The surgery at Sunrise Animal Hospital is expected to cost between $1,200 and $1,500, and Rendell said Heavenly Creatures is looking to find the dog a new home.

“He’s great with other animals and people. He’s a lovely, lovely dog.”

She said additional costs related to Tyson’s care could bring the final total up to $2,000.

“We’re reaching out to the public to help raise this money and for someone to give him a home,” said Rendell.

Heavenly Creatures, which operates with a no-kill policy, is currently looking after 100 animals — 80 cats and 20 dogs.

“Right now we’re facing the worst financial debt that we’ve ever had in 11 years, and we really can’t afford to take on any more debt, but at the same time, we couldn’t turn (Tyson) down.”

arobinson@thetelegram.com

Twitter: TeleAndrew

Organizations: Sunrise Animal Hospital

Geographic location: Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

Comments

• Kelly Kurita
    September 05, 2012 - 23:39

I simply love dogs because of their faithfullness. They place their whole-hearted trust in us. Poor Tyson ! I do hope the surgery is successful and I will definitely send in my contribution. Please advise me where I should send my checque to. Good luck! Tyson! (N.Vancouver,B.C.)

• Help Tyson
    September 05, 2012 - 11:24

My wife and I have volunteered to walk Tyson while he waits for his surgery. He loves walks (although he just needs to be pointed in the right direction!). He is also pretty smart, finding his way around a house by hugging the walls to figure out where everything is. He's very gentle and quiet. He would make a good companion for someone.

• Sharon
    September 05, 2012 - 08:17

When my family heard that we could donate all of our recyables to Heavenly Creatures we started immediately. This is a heartbreaking situation. Is there a Senior's home or Senior's retirement home that could adopt him? What a wonderful win-win solution this would make. There are hundreds of Seniors who never get to hold or cuddle anything or anyone and he could be a wonderful therapy for them. His disability would never be an issue as they are so in need of unconditional love. I hope this story will have a happy ending. I will also donate to his cause.

• Krista
    September 05, 2012 - 08:07

Donations can be made online, just go to Heavenly Creatures' website http://www.heavenlycreatures.ca/donate.asp

September 05, 2012 - 08:01

This little guy so needs our help. Just made my donation to assist in his surgery!

• Natalie
    September 05, 2012 - 07:56

Where can people make a donation to help him? Awesome job Heavenly Creatures, thank god for people like you guys that are able to help sweet little furry babies like him!

• Judy Snow
    September 05, 2012 - 07:53

I gave what I could yesterday. Here's HOW TO DONATE: Donations can be made through e-mail money transfer to info@heavenlycreatures.ca, through Paypal on our website, by cheque (P.O. Box 882, Station C, 354 Water St., A1C 1C0) or by calling or visiting Sunrise Animal Hospital: 368-7981, 222 Park Avenue. They are open until 8 p.m. every weekday evening, from 9 a.m. until 3 on Saturday, and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday.

• Leah
    September 05, 2012 - 07:24

Oh my, this darling innocent dog certainly deserves a future decent life after all he has been through the past six years. I sure wish I could adopt him, but my apt. building does not allow pets. Where is Heavenly Creatures located, so I can make a donation? I pray that precious Tyson is adopted into a good loving, caring, happy home. Thank you, Heavenly Creatures, for taking him in. I also pray that his surgery is successful. He more than deserves a good break. Will you give us a "follow-up", please, on what eventually becomes of Tyson?

• Jessica Rendell
      September 05, 2012 - 07:57

Hi Leah, Thanks for wanting to help Tyson! We have a new office on Cashin Avenue, but we're not officially open yet. If you would like to e-mail your contact number (s) info@heavenlycreatures. ca, we'll call you to coordinate a time to meet do that you can bring by a donation for Tyson.

• Steve
    September 05, 2012 - 06:33

What a doll. How can we make a donation?

• Jessica
      September 05, 2012 - 07:54

Hi Steve, Thanks for wanting to help Tyson. E-mail money transfers can be sent to info@heavenlycreatures.ca Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal on our website (there's a button on Tyson's profile under Adoptable Dogs), by cheque (P.O. Box 882, Station C, 354 Water Street, A1C 1CO). Donations can also be made directly through Sunrise Animal Hospital where Tyson is being treated. They are at 222 Park Avenue in Mount Pearl; their number is 368-7981. They are open until 8 p.m. Mon to Friday and until three p.m. on Saturdays.