In this May 25 file photo a Department of Natural Resources helicopter heads towards a fire that burnt approximately 700 hectares around 5 Wing Goose Bay. — TC Media file Photo by Jamie Lewis
The Telegram has learned some interesting information about what started a fire that burned out about 700 hectares of forest around 5 Wing Goose Bay, Labrador, beginning May 25.
The blaze had cut a path about five kilometres wide within a couple of hours.
Check out this story on the front page of The Weekend Telegram print edition.
Also on the front page this weekend … Hidden inside the pages of one volume of an eight-volume set of hardcover books in Ottawa are two old letters — both written in the fall of 1944 and referencing St. John’s resident James Joseph Picco.
An interesting mystery you don’t want to miss.
The Telegram website offers only a sample of the stories our reporters, editors and photographers work hard to get to the public every day.
Saturday’s print edition of The Weekend Telegram, on the other hand, contains much, much more, from news to opinion, to local and national sports, to our expanded A&E section.
Some of the items inside Saturday’s print edition:
• From Manuels to the Playboy Mansion — a young C.B.S. woman is living out her dream in Los Angele as a Playboy model.
• The first of a number of benefit concerts for singer/songwriter Ron Hynes is happening in his hometown of Ferryland next weekend.
• The spokesman for the union representing workers at Canadian Coast Guard radio stations in Newfoundland and Labrador claims the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Halifax has purposely downplayed local contributions made to recent marine rescues.
• Lots of columns to suit various interests.
• Movie and book reviews, including listings of top books sold in Canada, and local book launches, signings and readings.
• Classes for students in the K-12 system got underway earlier this week, and despite the many infrastructure upgrades made over the summer, all students were able to start on time.
Remember, for updates and the latest Breaking News, check www.thetelegram.com.
For the full picture, pick up a copy, subscribe to the print edition, sign up for the SmartEdition or download The Telegram app.