Comments

Comments

• Mary
    September 17, 2012 - 09:19

I have the most respect for the garbage collectors in this city. We always put broken glass in a beef bucket with the lid taped and clearly marked broken glass.That man could have lost his life because of somebody's laziness and lack of interest in his occupational health, plus loss of full pay because of work related incident. Needles in garbage is another matter, they have to be so careful these days.People stop & think of others sometimes, what if it were one of your family members, it could easily happen to a child passing by with the shards of glass sticking out from the bag. I hope the injured person recovers quickly..

• JJ Nugent
    September 17, 2012 - 08:46

Another example of how some people are just plain ignorant of others. Obviously someone has to handle your garbage and that someone isn't going to know what is in there. Glass needs to be wrapped, contained or segregated. Personally, I box mine up and take it to the landfill myself. I have a huge amount of respect for our community services employees, and it frustrates me to see people ignorant of them, whether it's glass in the trash or speeding through construction zones. Step back a second and think about somebody else for a change...

• Downtownie
    September 17, 2012 - 08:25

I don't understand why the City can't implement a safe, convenient way to dispose of glass. Until it happens, injuries like this will continue. Lawsuits will be filed and the taxpayers will be left to pay the bill.

• Robert
    September 17, 2012 - 07:44

Municipalities can also do their part. My CBS neighbour had a broken pane of glass and went to great lengths to make sure it was wrapped properly so that nobody got hurt. But when the garbage was collected they refused accept the wrapped glass because it was not in a garbage bag.

• V M Davidson
    September 17, 2012 - 07:31

While glass recycling would be a welcome step, even cities that do have glass recycling programs (like London, ON, where I moved from) will not take broken household glass - only glass bottles and jars, which are placed in open blue recycle bins which clearly display their contents. Broken household glass still went in the garbage, but had to be wrapped or labeled to prevent injury to sanitation workers. A little common sense goes a long way to protect those who have to deal with our trash. They deserve a safe workplace too.

• just me
    September 17, 2012 - 07:11

ya know it is common sense not to just throw glass in a garbage bag.But some of know that common sense is uncommon.People just don't think or just don't care.

• Karl Kautsky
    September 17, 2012 - 06:46

Ya know, this would be less likely to happen if the city actually recycled glass. Of course that makes too much sense!