Comments

Comments

• Clare
    September 19, 2012 - 06:54

I fully understand Toby Obed's residential school experiences; I am also a residential school survivor and was taken from my parents at the age of three. When my family came looking for me; they were told that I did not want to see them or I left. This was not the case because I did not know about my family was searching for me until thirty years later. My formative years were abusive on many levels; but I had the good fortune to meet a local elder; who guided me. This elder to told me to learn all I can from the European base schools but keep in touch with my aboriginal heritage, which would make me a very unque individual. Mind you, it was very difficulty at times; the abusive residential school experiences made me stronger spiritually but I made a promise that I would never treat people the same way that I was treated while I was in the residential school system. I must say that I was one of the lucky few, who never turned to drugs and/or alcohol to cope. Instead, expressing my artistic talents became my therapy. My thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you,Toby Obed. Be Strong!

• RITA bULMER
    September 19, 2012 - 01:16

I so understand.The only ones that really benifited from this all were lawyers and consulors.I was in a convent now they changed the name to a broarding school.All I ever wanted was a day in court with a panel and a judge.The courts make it imposiable if one is not educated and I don't have enough money to sue ,oh well all I can say is one day everyone has to meet their maker.

• Mack
    September 18, 2012 - 18:21

What the world rejects God accepts. Peace be to you Obed. I would consider myself fortunate to meet you.

• Nessie
    September 18, 2012 - 09:35

I can feel the uncontrollable heartache of Toby Obed and his fellow school mates that have resulted from the controlled separation from their parents for 9 months of the years in order to attend residential-school in a far away place. My most memorable and beautiful memories come from my formative years which were all spent with my parents. I could not imagine being apart from them for even a day. My heart goes out to all alive who have experienced that awful situation, but all they can now is try and make their lives as happy as they can and the governments that were involved should make sure that they are taken care of as pleasantly and humanely as possible. A child growing up for 9 months of the year separated from their parents have extra burdens of sorrow.

• John
    September 18, 2012 - 09:04

Canada's hidden shame

• Kev
    September 18, 2012 - 08:58

Why isn't Ches Crosbie suibg the province?