A pilot project to see if iron grains can be pulled from the sands around Happy Valley-Goose Bay in a commercially viable way is underway in the Big Land.
If the test is successful, final processing of the ore into a usable iron product will be done in the United States, at least for the first few years.
Get the full story on the front page of today’s Weekend Telegram print edition.
Also on the Weekend Telegram’s front page.
When ferries aroun the province break down, providing air transport to passengers and freight can be costly. Check out the article.
The Telegram website offers only a sample of the stories our reporters, editors and photographers work hard to get to the public every day.
The Weekend Telegram print edition, on the other hand, contains much, much more, from news to opinion, to indepth sports, to our expanded A&E section.
Inside the Weekend Telegram print edition this week:
• On page A7 — C.B.S. imposes a levy for new homes.
• On page A8 — Injured cyclist trying to find Good Samaritan and his mountain bike.
• On page A14 — Senior, 95, bags her first moose.
• On page A23 — Woman swims to save the Kyle.
• On page A26 — It’s the News on the Go page complete with reader photos, News of the Weird, Newfoundland Word of the Day and much more.
• The B section of the paper contains lots of sports on the local, national and international levels.
• On page C3 — Apple’s iPhone 5 starts selling.
• On page C4 — Inflation dips in Canada.
• On page D1 — Biochar test garden aims to enrich poor Newfoundland soil.
• On page D2 — 20 questions with Mark Critch and check out the audio files of Critch and Gordon Pinsent on our website.
• On page D3 — It’s the Web Spin, where we provide samples of what commenters are saying on our website.
• On page D5 — It’s the faith page, with religious articles and church listings.
• On page E1 — Book relates experiences of meeting children and answering their questions during Christmas visits.
• On page E2 — Review: A wickedly dark comic streak breaks up the vivid violence and relentless bleakness of “Dredd 3D.”
• On page E6 — A review of “Perks of Being a Wallflower” a thoughtful coming-of-age tale.
• On page F1 — Food critic Karl Wells offers his interesting weekly column.
• On page F2 — It’s our wine columnist.
• On page F3 — Our puzzle page, something for everyone who enjoys puzzles.
• On page F4 — It’s the weekend books page, featuring a number of articles.
• On page F5 — A continuation of books news, along with best seller listings.
• On page F6 — It’s the weekend gardening page.
And there’s so much more in the Weekend print edition.
Remember, for updates and the latest Breaking News, check www.thetelegram.com.
For the full picture, pick up a copy, subscribe to the print edition, sign up for the SmartEdition or download The Telegram app.
Stay informed from a trusted source.