Comments

Comments

• Elizabeth Ann Sceerey
    October 01, 2012 - 10:03

Jamie, Heidi & Sophie......You are going to soooooo love & appreciate your dog!! I know a little of what you are going through I have 2 children with type I diabetes who were 8 & 9 when diagnosed, they are now 22 & 26 & have become very mature compassionate adults. One other thing that may help is an insulin pump but I'm sure that has been suggested already. I'm a Newfoundlander as well :)

• Common Sense
    September 25, 2012 - 06:39

Yes I hope they get the dog and everything but they still won't be able to rely 100% on it. What I read was that their child could have died because the power went so I suggested two alarms to ensure that tragedy wouldn't happen.

• Heidi
      September 25, 2012 - 07:10

We would not rely on our dog 100% and would still check Sophie's sugar 3 times a night which is more than some do. As we said before the dog will offer an extra layer of protection and give Sophie a little more freedom. We check her more often as she is most unpredictable at night. Instead of every 2 hours now we could scale that back once the dog is fully trained. I have no issue with someone offering advice but it's nice to be courteous and kind to people rather than starting with "commom sense" We have actaully been told by health professionals we check to often but we worry so much at night that we still check often. I hope you never have to know the feeling of going into your child's room at night and holding your breath while making sure they are still breathing. Bottom line our service dog is going to give us piece of mind that we have another guardian angel watching out for Sophie. Thank you to all who have responed with donations and such kind words in response to our story. Sophie thanks you all from the bottom of her sweet little heart!!

• Sometimes I Wonder
    September 24, 2012 - 16:16

Sometimes I wonder if people can really be so blind. Is the alarm all u read COMMON SENSE? What a beautiful little girl. I know her service dog will be her guardian and best friend. Wishing you Sophie and your family all the best! Just ignore the rotten comment and maybe COMMON SENSE should have borrowed some common sense before he/she posted such a mean comment. There are some idiots out there but try to remember those who give you strength and happiness for Sophie!

• Common Sense
    September 24, 2012 - 15:36

Holy moly! I was just trying to make a suggestion to make it safer for your family. The point of the story was getting a dog so you could have extra piece of mind and not have to rely entirely on an alarm clock that may fail so I was suggesting an extra one because it didn't seem like you had set two. Whoever Beep beep beep is needs to calm down and relax...seriously. A tad bit over the top. I do in fact have children and a heart and I know how scary it is to have a sick child with life threatening allergies so I can imagine how difficult it is with diabetes.

• Common Sense
    September 24, 2012 - 15:30

• Common sense
    September 24, 2012 - 11:15

May I suggest two alarms? Maybe one on a watch or a phone as a backup just in case the power goes? Since it's such an important task you are waking up for maybe trusting one alarm clock is not the best idea.

• Beep Beep Beep
      September 24, 2012 - 12:26

May I suggest you mind your own damn business! The words I would want to call you right now, they will not publish. The point of the story was the happiness of getting this potential life saving dog, not that they missed the alarm, you moron! Maybe the best idea at a time like this is butting out and being happy for a young family that will be welcoming a much needed relief into their lives. You obviously don't have children, or a heart for that matter! Holy hell, it always amazes me how stupid people are, and just when I began to have a little hope, I read a comment from a jackass like you! On a better note - the best of luck with the new dog, and I certainly hope you can raise the money sooner than later, i'm sure it will be a well deserved sigh of relief for your family!

• Heidi
      September 24, 2012 - 14:15

Clearly you have no idea what it is like to have a diabetic child. For your information we always set 2 alarms. This paticular night we had a cellphone and alarm set and never heard either. You can only inagine how scary it was to wake up and realize we missed a check. We check Sophie's sugar every 2 hours bse she is so unpredictable and I guess being overtired that was what happened. To think there are ppl out there who are so miserable in thier own lives they would pick apart this story amazes me. We love our daughter more than anything and are trying our best to make her life better by adding an extra layer of protection especially at night. I feel sorry for you...I reallly do.