Comments

Comments

• Emergency medical responder
    September 25, 2012 - 09:02

Unbelieveable !!! A person's life ended and people are concerned about traffic. Wow. Real classy. Put yourselves in the shoes if the family, the ambulance crew, the truck driver, and the police. Wouldn't you want a detailed investigation into this matter to ensure that this tragedy never happens again? I work in the medical field and from what I can tell, the ambulance crew did nothing wrong and followed protocols. It's definitely a shame that this happened, thus a detailed investigation is needed Hence the reason why the tch was closed for an extensive amount of time. Think about that poor man's family the next time you complain about backed up traffic, and try to put yourselves in their shoes. Unbelievable !!!

• Emergency medical responder
    September 25, 2012 - 09:02

• Emergency medical responder
    September 25, 2012 - 09:02

• Emergency medical responder
    September 25, 2012 - 09:01

• concern medic
    September 24, 2012 - 17:05

first of all want offer my thoughts and prayers to the family and the medics also the truck driver . I think again the the system has to be look at a lot of questions to be ask and answered here we have be hearing of issues with letters in the paper etc . when it comes to Rual EMS there is surppose to be an operational review i would call on the Minster of health to let the people of the province know where this review is to again this is sad for all involed.

• BB
      September 30, 2012 - 18:05

I fell asleep in an apartment lobby one night. I had been drinking and could not get in. Somebody called an ambulance. I left the ambulance when it got to the hospital but was still charged $325 (Alberta).

• Erin
    September 24, 2012 - 15:10

Thoughts and Prayers to the family and friends of the young man who lost his life this morning, Also to the driver of the truck and the ambulance crew, who I'm sure are also having a difficult time! To all those so concerned about getting to work on time or daily traffic get over yourselves!!! A life was taken this morning, show some respect!!

• Ann
    September 24, 2012 - 14:06

Condolences to the family. Why do Telegram reporters always have to refer to someone being killed as, "Tragically killed". When someone is killed, it is already tragic.

• JOE
      September 24, 2012 - 15:09

Because it perpetuates the possibility of other stories.

• shirley
    September 24, 2012 - 13:29

to john , sally, Jk, al, eli, what in Gods name are you doing , griping on here about tim hortons, roads slowed, a young person s life is gone, do you understand that, GONE forever, with what you writing here from your petty minds and closed hearts, (if you have a heart that is) , family members will read this and it will only add more heaviness to their hearts for the loss of their loved one, you people need to grow up and learn how to have a tad bit of smypathy, just a tad, is that asking too much? you people turn my stomach, you should be ashamed of yourselves, i pity your children and what they are being taught from you.

• Eli
      September 24, 2012 - 15:18

Shirley, so closing the road for such an extended time will bring the poor soul back to life? Get off your sympathy wagon, you think I'm unsympathetic to what happend here? Poor analogy but you don't accomplish anything by locking the barn door after the horse is stolen.

• karmeny
      September 25, 2012 - 13:32

eli, you need a reality check. no, closing the road won't bring the young man back, but there are steps that have to be taken. not only was it a severe traffic accident, it resulted in the death of a pedestrian. the night before there was a single vehicle accident on the manuels access road (thankfully no deaths), and the eastbound lane leaving cbs was closed for several hours aswell. when there is an accident, an investigation has to be conducted, evidence collected, scene cleaned up, etc., and that takes time. my 3 year old son has more common sense than you. is your head so far up your own backside that you can't think of anyone besides yourself?

• Jon
    September 24, 2012 - 11:49

George wrote: "Traffic backed up all the way to Parsons Busses in Seal Cove, eastbound" This is a normal daily occurance on route 60. However it is not backed up quite that far. I am stuck in traffic on that stretch on a daily basis. One morning last week I got in line in front of Hickey's in Upper Gullies. The bypass road extension can't come soon enough. The main reason for the daily backup....the stupid Tim Horton's drive though on the corner of Legion Road and Route 60.

• Sally
      September 24, 2012 - 12:27

Isn't the last portion of the CBS Bypass Road supposed to be finished this Fall? I travel to CBS regularly on the existing part of the bypass road and I haven't seen anything done with the newer part this year. It looks like its ready for pavement but no... nothing!

• Newfie Bill
      September 24, 2012 - 12:52

Jon my boy you hit the nail on the head. Firstly, condolenses to the family of that young man and just as importaint to that poor truck driver who hit him. Sad day for all involved. The problem with CBS highway from Seal Cive to the Overpass in Paradise IS the GD Tim Hortons resturants. When are the Towns in this Province and or the RNC going to step up and not allow this business to cause such bottle necsk in the morning commutes of 10's of thousands or people. I just can't get my head around it....

• Wanda
    September 24, 2012 - 11:27

My deepest condolences and prayers to the family and friends of this young man. I am so very sorry. Also, this had to be an extremely horrifying experience for the truck driver who just could not stop in time to avoid this fatality. My thoughts and prayers are with you also.

• Para Medic
    September 24, 2012 - 11:01

He escaped the ambulance...chances are there was nothing that could be done to keep him there...Ambulance Operators are not allowed to restrain patients in an ambulance under NO circumstance...as for being transported at this hour it happens all the time if there is a bed available the patient has to be brought to town as the bed will not be held... The comment surrounding why Private Ambulance does this...well because they are the only ones that do...you will never see an ambulance from Eastern Health transport patients outside their area...that is the job of Private Ambulance Operators and their staff...which as just as qualified to do so equipped with Paramedics as well... Unfortunately I feel that the Private Service will end up taking the blame for something that should sit solely on Eastern Health's shoulders...

• Gerri
    September 24, 2012 - 10:57

So what, youre late for work,... someone's family just died! People like this got the world like it is.

• Margie
    September 24, 2012 - 10:44

Al, I posted my comment BEFORE the update appeared concerning this fatality. Words are inadequate to express my deepest heartfelt condolences to the family on this terrible tragedy.

• JK
    September 24, 2012 - 10:33

Something off about this - why would he flee the ambulance? Was in in a confused state due to some sort of condition or injury? Was he in some kind of legal trouble? Either way, he should have been restrained, right? I don't see any other logical reason for a patient fleeing an ambulance in the middle of the night on the TCH. And why was he being transported at this hour? Was it an emergency? If so, why was a private ambulance transporting him? Confused.

• Rosalind Pinsent
    September 24, 2012 - 10:23

My heart go out to this young man who had to be suffering deeply and to his family who, as well, whose hearts have to be broken. God bless you all at this most tragic time.

• Al
    September 24, 2012 - 09:50

One can assume from reading this article, that the patient was frantic and ran into the highway, and was ran over by a transport truck. If I am assuming right, that would be the explanation of having both lanes closed. That would be quite the site for passerby's to see. To Poster Margie, did you miss the part where the article said that the man escaped from the ambulance?? My condolences to family and friends of the young man.

• Margie
    September 24, 2012 - 09:24

My concentration is not the best, but does this article state that it was a pedestrian fatality at around 3:00 a.m.? My heartfelt condolences to the family. However, why would anyone be walking on the TCH at that time of night?

• Eli
    September 24, 2012 - 07:42

It's been reported on radio a transport truck was involved. If it doesn't have both lanes blocked surely trafffic could have been routed to one of 'em. I don't know the details but people have to get to work, the airport, or medical appointments. This accident, described as a crash, occurred at 3 a.m. The road was still closed at 8. Can't the police do better than that?

• mike
      September 24, 2012 - 09:56

Someone died. They have to take the appropriate amount of time to do a proper investigation.

• Gerry
      September 24, 2012 - 10:01

"Someone got killed? But I need to get to work!" Wow, man. Nice display of empathy.

• Eli
      September 24, 2012 - 11:24

Gerry, My experience is a victim, either alive or deceased, will be removed from the scene of an accident immediately. I take it that occured here. Tragic as it was the police knew what brought about the accident. I don't see any reason in the world to close the road "until further notice". That's nothing but "control" beyond reason. On a similar police note, you mean to tell me the RNC still can't release information on that Albany Street incident that took place Friday nite, the one that necessitated people leave their homes overnite?

• George
    September 24, 2012 - 07:36

Firstly, my thoughts are with the family and friends of the pedestrian and the driver of the semi. Secondly, there must be a better way to divert traffic when something like this happens. Luckily, I drive against traffic on route 60 each weekday morning, but what I witnessed this morning was alarming. Traffic backed up all the way to Parsons Busses in Seal Cove, eastbound. All this because the eastbound lane of the TCH was closed for a time?? I'd hate to think what state it would be in the middle of the winter.