More questions are being raised about PC MHA David Brazil, who already finds himself embroiled in controversy.
Brazil’s public disclosure form — available for viewing at the Elections Newfoundland and Labrador office — did not list any involvement in senior hockey or any hockey association.
Last week, Brazil told The Telegram that he was general manager of the Bell Island senior hockey association.
He could not be reached for comment for this story.
The Telegram website offers only a sample of the stories our reporters, editors and photographers work hard to get to the public every day.
Tuesday’s print edition of The Telegram, on the other hand, contains much, much more, from news to opinion to our expanded Family section.
Inside Tuesday’s print edition
A 19-year-old headed to hospital in St. John’s in the middle of the night ended up dead on the Trans-Canada Highway in the pre-dawn hours of Monday, in what Eastern Health officials are calling a tragic accident.
The young man was being driven to an unnamed, regional health-care facility by an unnamed private ambulance service in the hours before his death, according to the information made available to date.
“During the transport, the ambulance stopped along the highway due to the patient’s condition. While the vehicle was stopped, the patient left the ambulance and ran into a wooded area,” reads a statement issued by Eastern Health.
“The ambulance service contacted the police to assist in the search for the patient. Unfortunately, shortly thereafter the patient was tragically killed by a vehicle on the Trans-Canada Highway.”
Opposition politicians aren’t shocked a national audit has slammed Bill 29, a series of changes to this province’s access to information laws.
“It confirms what we have believed right from the start — this is bad legislation,” said Gerry Rogers, the New Democratic Party’s justice critic.
Released Monday, the 2012 Newspapers Canada Freedom of Information audit called Bill 29 the year’s biggest setback to freedom of information in the country.
The amendments to the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act increased the scope of documents the province can withhold from the public.
The Tories passed the bill in June, after the opposition parties held a four-day filibuster to voice their disapproval.
Liberal House leader Yvonne Jones said the review is vindication of what the Liberals have been saying all along.
A St. John’s man who was involved in a break-and-entry ring that targeted construction sites last year has been given a three-year prison term.
Robert Christopher Dyer was sentenced at provincial court Monday, three days after he pleaded guilty to a slew of charges.
In making his decision, Judge Greg Brown went along with a joint recommendation Crown prosecutor William Cadigan and legal aid duty counsel Jane Fitzpatrick had made during a hearing Friday.
Brown gave Dyer 1 1/2-times credit for the 405 days he’s spent in custody, leaving a year and four months on his term.
Columnist Steve Bartlett writes: “‘Do you know “Gangnam Style?”’ my 17-year-old niece asked.
I had absolutely no clue what she was talking about, and initially thought it was something completely different and even more disturbing than it was.
Then she logged onto YouTube and showed me the video for a South Korean pop song.
It did what most of today’s music does for me — absolutely nothing.”
Remember, for updates and the latest Breaking News, check www.thetelegram.com.