© James McLeod/The Telegram
Donor Emily Courage donates a unit of blood. Because people can only donate once every 56 days, Canadian Blood Services tries to have a large group of donors giving regularly.
Canadian Blood Services needs 500 people to book an appointment to donate blood in the province from now up to the Thanksgiving weekend.
The need across Canada is for 14,000 more Canadians to book an appointment to donate blood during that time.
“We need almost 500 appointments in Newfoundland booked between today and Oct. 8 to keep up with hospital demand, and patients are counting on more people to become blood donors,” says Peter MacDonald, Director, Donor and Clinic Services.
“We need our donors to resume their donating schedule and we need new donors to start donating now.”
According to a news release, the lead up to the Thanksgiving long weekend is always a difficult time to collect blood, as people are away or are busy with family activities. However, the need for blood is constant as hospitals continue to draw on the national blood supply.
This is why there is a strong need for Canadians to book appointments now.
- Read more special articles:
- Bouncing back
- On the mend
- Saving a life is as simple as donating blood, husband and father says
- Blood donations were key to saving boy’s leg
With a patient somewhere in Canada needing blood every minute of every day, it is important that we maintain a continuous supply of new blood donations. Most often, it takes more than one blood donor to save a patient’s life.
• Canadian Blood Services needs to collect 12 per cent more blood in October than September to continue to meet hospital demand.
• Currently, only 60 per cent of blood donors honour their appointments.
• It can take up to 50 blood donors to save the victim of a car accident and up to five blood donors to help someone undergoing cancer treatment.
• While all blood types are needed, there is a particular need for O negative, A negative and O positive donors.
To donate, visit online at www.blood.ca or call 1 888 2 DONATE (1-888-236-6283) to book an appointment.