Comments

Comments

• concerned bsa
    March 16, 2013 - 12:20

I am very concerned about the people less educated that fish for a living that will very soon have to do everything on line and I find it so frustrating when you call any government depart. and have to press this and press that and after numerous pressing to be told, "we are experiencing a high volume a calls at the moment please try your call again" then the line goes dead or you are put on hold for almost an hour and then get cut off. The pressing of buttons are only to give the government a survey of which type of calls they get. The same person answers all calls. Losing human contact is very sad.

• small fish
    October 03, 2012 - 07:16

Retired DFO personell will start up a business assisting fisher persons in how to obtain their Licences online, for a charge of course,. lol. Does DFO really provide a worthwhile service to the people of Canada? The Coast Guard does but does DFO fisheries enforcement? please tell me what they aaccomplishment and for whom.

• a business man
      October 03, 2012 - 15:18

and as an investor, I would be interested in investing the capital to start a company and hire retired DFO personel to assist fisher persons in obtaining their licences, for a fee of course. It actually sounds like an interesting way to set myself up as a middle man and make some money.

• Marty
    October 02, 2012 - 15:52

Two thoughts on this "great plan" I guess any fisher person who doesn't have Internet access is out of luck?? More federal government jobs ( the licensing clerks)disappear in small communities where every job is desperately needed.

• Corner Brooker
      November 05, 2012 - 08:01

Blame the Harper government for reduction of services. DFO employees would love to keep the level of service where they are, and most importantly keep their jobs.

• a business m
      November 06, 2012 - 09:34

I thank the Harper government for this change. Replacing employees with machines is always a good thing because machines do not require annual wage increases, health benefits, sick leave, or pension benefits. Machines just do the work. Sure DFO employees would be happy to keep their jobs, but I, as a citizen and taxpayer, am happy to paying less wages and benefits now that there are less workers. I feel bad for the workers because they are people, but replacing them with technology was the right move because the same job gets done at a lesser cost. Plus, I am also a supporter of transferring work to the realm of technology workers, so I am happy that somewhere out there, there is an IT guy who manages this web service. Changes like this one--- innovate decisions like this one and the changes to the EI system are exactly why I voted Conservative.