Published on August 29, 2011
Elizabeth MacDonald photo The Sir Ambrose Shea Lift Bridge in Placentia was supposed to be replaced beginning this fall. As the lone bid for the job came in at nearly double government’s projected costs, the job has been postponed until government can determine which is the best route to take.
A new tender call for the construction of a modern lift bridge at Placentia, to replace the Sir Ambrose Shea Bridge, went out today, the provincial government announced.
“This tender call is the next step in providing a new lift bridge for the people of Placentia and surrounding communities,” Tom Hedderson, Minister of Transportation and Works said in a news release.
“Repairs carried out this year will ensure the current bridge will meet the needs of residents until the completion of its replacement, which we anticipate will begin construction in 2013.”
A previous tender call received no acceptable submissions by the deadline. Since then, the Department of Transportation and Works has engaged in repairs to extend the life of the current structure, and has revised the requirements for the new bridge in an effort to encourage more proposals.
“My department welcomes submissions from all construction companies as we proceed with the bidding process for this significant project,” Hedderson said.
The new bridge will be built next to the existing bridge on Route 100. The existing bridge will remain open while the construction is ongoing. The tender includes the construction of new approaches, as well as the removal of the existing bridge.