Comments

Comments

• Mom
    October 14, 2012 - 17:28

I think every licensed driver should have to take a practical on-road test every five years when you renew your license. There are drivers of all ages that pick up bad habits while driving. None of us are perfect. How many of us drive the same route to and from work everyday and then on weekends or when we are not working find ourselves on autopilot driving the"route to work" without realizing it. Come on now, think about it, if you say it hasn't happened to you, you are lying! Complacency in all things leads to mistakes. So judge not so you be judged yourself.

• Ray
    October 14, 2012 - 09:42

Younger drivers get into accidents more frequently, it's a fact. But it is not due to physical and/or mental slow down, it is inexperience and/or bad habits. The young(er) person can learn and develop their driving ability, the elderly persons (more than likely) will decline, this is also a fact. With that said, 6 cars? Really? It's normal to accidentally touch the gas instead of the break, we've all done it. But in a parking lot, when you hit the gas and go forward you realize that it was the gas and take your foot off, you don't push it down more! I agree (partially) with Townie. Those who disagree are ignoring my main point. Young drivers require training, and unfortunately there is a time in ones life when you are no longer fit to drive. Solution? Stricter testing criteria for new drivers, or maybe a more in depth "drivers ed". For the elderly, beyond a certain age yearly (or every 2-3 years) a practical exam as well as notification from one's doctor if he/she believes their patient should be retested or have their license revoked. And DownTowny - I get aggravated when people drive the speed limit in front of me... When they are in the passing lane... I also do when someone doesn't do a courtesy lane change to allow others to enter the highway from an on ramp. Should I seek help? Or are you the type of person who practices these idiot driving habits?

• Allison Prior
      October 14, 2012 - 22:01

There was a bad accident on Brookfield Road tonight around 6:15pm hope no one got seriously hurt, I guess we'll hear it on the news sometime tomorrow..

• Bronson
    October 14, 2012 - 08:04

To settle this arguement going back and forth here regarding young and old drivers let me tell you this. I always thought that highway 63 was a horrible commute to work. Newfoundlanders may actually be he worst dirvers in the contry. I am a newfoundalnder but i drive the TCH to work everyday and it baffles me to see young and old drivers not knowing the basic rules of the road. Keep right except to pass is a biggie, driving on a divided highway doe not mean you can Have your Highbeams on 100% of the time. Locking your brakes up when there is nobody in front of you and 10 vehicles behind you in the passing lane is dangerous. When Hebron starts it will be worse. This may be a bad winter for accidents cause by bad drivers.

• paul
    October 14, 2012 - 07:29

what i noticed driving is that i never see an older driver TEXTING they are always looking at the road being more careful than younger ones texting speeding going nowhere.i would sooner be in traffic with the older ones any day.

• Allworld
    October 14, 2012 - 04:05

The parking lot version of a "demolition derby".

• Allworld
    October 14, 2012 - 03:48

The parking lot version of a "Demolition Derby".

• PETER L
    October 13, 2012 - 21:48

@TOWNIE, Actually that is in palce, like driver says it's an accident, and new drivers are the worst for accidents. If you look at the stats, the older drivers have less accidents. Research before you balme!

• Kevin Power
    October 13, 2012 - 21:41

I have more respect for and certainly trust an elderly river much more than some aggressive, inexperienced driver any day of the week. I give elderly drivers a break whenever I see them, they do not have the same reflexes as younger drivers, but they certainly are not out being a problem and a danger to all.

• carogers
    October 13, 2012 - 18:19

Well aren't we full of ourself. 90% of us are unable to follow your volcabulary are we? The only arrogant person on this site is you, moron. Young and old all make mistakes, its not learning from these mistakes is contemptuous. I see terrible driving habits all over this city...re-testing is a logical suggestion particularly after a person causes damage to six cars or are responsable for a serious/fatal injury. Improving driver awarness and skill should be required in such cases.

• downtowny
    October 13, 2012 - 18:04

dear townie, since you tossed the first stone, you must be sans sin ... but, have you checked the insurance rates for seniors compared to your age group?......how many speeding tickets have you received compared to both your parents? .......do you become annoyed when people driving in front of you are keeping the speed limit. ...seek help, svp, if you do so....? road rage hurts not only its victims but even your relatives and friends who are driving with you and have to put up c/ it while they are next to you....shite occasionally happens such as this accident, and thankfully that no one had been hurt, but have you smelled your own words lately?

• Townie
    October 13, 2012 - 15:29

Sorry if this sounds insensitive - But, how many more times is an elderly person going to mistake their accelerator for the break before some sort of legislation is put in place to retest people or require a medical to renew drivers licenses once people reach a certain age. I'm very happy that no one was hurt in this incident. The next time this happens someone else may not be so lucky to come out the other side unscathed.

• Driver
      October 13, 2012 - 17:37

I'm sick of the morons on this site putting off the most contemptuous arguments. for those of you who don't know what the word means (i bet 90%), it means arrogant. older drivers aren't the problem. if anyone has every looked into the statistics, the new drivers are the worst. I know a young driver who mistook gas for the brake pedal and drove off a hill into on-comming traffic. people make mistakes and when you make one you should toy with the idea of giving up driving. or, you could just learn from your mistake like most people do.

• Steve
      October 13, 2012 - 21:23

I'm not sure at which age it happens, but past a certain age a medical doctor is supposed to certify that a person is fit to drive. As a matter of fact I believe they have to be examined every two years.

• Jeff
      October 13, 2012 - 23:27

Driver.. You must have that word of the month toilet paper and contemptuous was today's #2.. You are really quick to call people morons but struggle with your own grammar and spelling.. Makes me wonder if you are the moron responsible for this accident. Peace brother!!! Enjoy your life of misery and self righteousness