A 45-year-old man from Bay Bulls was arrested Monday for dangerous driving, evading police, and obstruction as well as Highway Traffic Act offences after an incident on the Goulds bypass road.
According to police, around 10 a.m. patrol officers attempted to stop a speeding vehicle on the Robert E. Howlett Memorial Drive. The motorist stopped for officers and got out of his vehicle but as officers approached him, he jumped back into the vehicle and drove off north towards oncoming traffic.
The RNC said the man lost control of his vehicle, leaving the highway and rolling his vehicle into a ditch, but there where no injuries as a result of this incident.
He was held in custody for a court appearance.
In a 24-hour period from early Monday morning to Tuesday morning, the RNC responded to 202 calls for service in the St. John’s-metro region.
Among them were the following incidents:
• At 5 p.m. Monday, RNC officers conducted a traffic safety stop on Goodview Street in St. John's and as a result a 29-year-old woman was arrested for outstanding warrants. She was held for court.
• Around midnight Monday, RNC officers conducted a traffic safety stop on Tobins Road in Mount Pearl. A 29-year-old man was charged with driving while prohibited. He also had $14,000 in outstanding traffic fines. The vehicle he was operating was seized and he was detained for court appearance.
• Acting on two tips from the public, RNC officers responded to the area of Empire Avenue in St. John's Monday and conducted a traffic safety stop. As a result, a 33-year-old male was charged with impaired driving. He was released from police custody and will appear in provincial court at a later date.
• RNC officers responded to a disturbance on Murphy Lane in St. John's at 1:45 a.m. Tuesday and as a result a 29-year-old man was arrested under an outstanding warrant for failure to appear in court. He was detained at the St. John’s lockup for a court appearance.
• Around 6 p.m. Monday, RNC officers responded to a residential break and entry in the area of Bay Bulls Road in St. John's. Upon police arrival, a 53-year-old man was apprehended in the home. He was detained by RNC officers and held for a court appearance. Police say the man appeared to be under the influence of alcohol.