Comments

Comments

• Shannon
    October 22, 2012 - 21:36

I'd like to first say that I know this man personally. He is by far a selfish mean person. He is a loving and caring person and showed me a true friendship. He goes out of his for people, he is a good teacher and enjoys volunteering his time. He was sick while I knew him and didn't even burden me with it until I was leaving the province. He then told me and I thought he was a brave person. He never used that sickness defence for anything. I never even knew and was with him on a weekly basis. Don't judge someone on what you read in the newspaper please. He messed up and I'm sure he is dealing with the consequences especially by living in the small city of St. John's

• Ashamed
    October 21, 2012 - 17:13

As a CRA employee, I feel sick about what this man did. Integrity is one of the main principles of CRA and the vast majority of employees keep this in mind in every action they take in the run of a day. It would take a lot of planning and forethought to do what he did and it would take more than a lapse in judgment.

• Dee
    October 20, 2012 - 20:08

I agree Sheri he certainly knew what he was doing,my opinion is that the family should of also been charged.The only thing he is sorry for,he got caught.

• John A
      October 21, 2012 - 18:33

Yeah, lock up the family cat while you're at it. You can't be serious. There was no evidence implicating the family.

• Anon
    October 20, 2012 - 17:15

Taxes are merely a burden passed onto peasants to pay back interest to the 13th branch of the Federal Reserve (Bank of Canada) on the money they gave us created out of thin air. The real crooks are laughing at us in their private jets.

• sheri
    October 20, 2012 - 16:44

He wasn't too ill to make the adjustments. And credit to the right people--His family...he knew what he was doing..what a crock!..

• Lorraine Dragon
    October 20, 2012 - 14:07

Terminally ill??? Could that not apply to everyone on this earth? No-one gets out of life alive-Does that make it right to committ crimes? This man DID NOT seek medical advice until after he was charged. What an insult that he would use his medical condition to get away with this crime or having to serve time in jail. This type of "man" would never do well in jail, so his shady lawyers and our weak judicial system make it easy for him!!!! SHAME on everyone involved including his family.

• John A
      October 21, 2012 - 18:29

Take a little time to learn something about Huntington's disease. Symptoms include behavioural changes and psychosis. This is one of the truly awful ways to die. It can include dementia, loss of the ability to care for yourself and loss of the ability to interact with others. If the court wished to be nasty, just to appeal to people in the cheap seats, they could sentence him to house arrest. He is getting that anyway. Jail time will just cost us a fortune when he needs medical care. Do you know how much it costs to pay overtime to TWO prison guards to supervise someone in the hospital? That will be at least 168 hours per week, times two, time and a half at a rate of at least thirty dollars an hour. This goes up on holidays and on the second day of rest. One month in hospital will cost more than he stole. If there are no guards available, two police officers get the overtime. They need TWO because they have to allow guards to take breaks and visit the used coffee and doughnut disposal room. You are so caught up in the amount taken from 'The Crown' that you want many many times that amount thrown after it. I hope that you are pleased with the amount of suffering this man faces. If not, you can take satisfaction from the pain it will cause for his wife and children. Apparently they deserve it, according to the other comments here. All of us bleeding heart liberals are just overjoyed that he 'got away with it'. We shall all gloat about it at the next conspiracy meeting.

• David
    October 20, 2012 - 09:30

The fact that he is terminally ill now has no bearing on the intent and seflishness of the crime. We're all eventually going to die of something...is that now the perfect defense for crime? Should all people diagnosed with something terrible start planning their Christmas shoplifting now?