UPDATE: Fortune workers urge union to accept OCI proposal
- Fish, Food and Allied Workers' (FFAW) union president Earle McCurdy speaks to protesters who arrived from the Fortune area today. The protesters want the union to support a proposal by OCI that would see their plant open. — Photo by Keith Gosse/The Telegram
- Fortune plant workers. — Photo by Keith Gosse/The Telegram
- Fisheries Minister Derek Dalley addresses a group of fish plant workers and supporters from Fortune this morning at Confederation Building in St. John's. — Photo by Daniel MacEachern/The Telegram
- A group of fish plant workers and supporters from Fortune gathered this morning at Confederation Building in St. John's. — Photo by Daniel MacEachern/The Telegram
- Darin King, who had been provincial fisheries minister before last week's cabinet shuffle, addresses a group of fish plant workers and supporters from Fortune this morning at Confederation Building in St. John's. — Photo by Daniel MacEachern/The Telegram
- A group of fish plant workers and supporters from Fortune arrived this morning at Confederation Building in St. John's. — Photo by Daniel MacEachern/The Telegram
- Top of the page
- bunch of whiners
- - October 22, 2012 at 13:54:13
lost in the fog, you are still lost in the fog. KEEP ON WHINING !
- lost in the fog
- - October 22, 2012 at 12:37:46
"bunch of whiners" whoever you are, give your head a shake. if you want to paint yourself tory blue or harper CRAP ,thats your right but check the facts , newfoundlanders sent all political stripes to Ottawa. John Crosbie was Tory, wasn't he "bunch of whiners" or does your memory go back that far? In 1949 Newfoundland signed over OUR fishery to the parliament of Canada. Ottawa made the rules. Ottawa enforced the rules, at least on newfoundland fisery persons, not sure if they enforced them on foreign fishers. Ottawa said who catches "A" fish. where the fish is caught, how the fish is caught so if there is mismanagement wouldn't it be Ottawa who is to blame and not just any one particular party. read some of the history books on Newfoundland, start by reading this book " distant water fisherman"
- - October 22, 2012 at 12:06:47
Come on Fortune. Your Mayor is having a grand Time on your behalf. If you truley believe OCI is doing you justice God help the lot. They have put this forward for their benefit. You people of Fortune take off your blinders., and smarten up. OCI does;t give a dam about you . They are howling at you, for considering to disband FFAW. Do so and see how quick the oci will give you anything . More like take take take. Then cry WOLF. THIS P.C. goverrment said no way in the first place. Now as usual they climb into a hole and wimper. Blame it on FFAW, Grow up see the LONG PICTURE. ONE maybe 2 years work, while IT oci reaps and depletes. I am no fisherperson, or oci benefactor. But I can see the writing on the wall. Grow up take control . Eradicate OCI and remember this P.C. supposedly Government. Wish you all the best. SHORT TERM GAIN LONG TERM SHAME
- bunch of whiners
- - October 22, 2012 at 12:01:38
no one to blame but the people. time after time you send LIBERAL/NDP members to parliment. they sit in the backbenches and do nothing but WHINE WHINE WHINE, everytime the conservatives to something to help your province. wasn't it an ndp member mr. cleary who critizized the seal hunt. I THINK SO ! but once again newfoundlanders vote for him. QUIT your whining folks, live with what you voted for.
- disgusted unionist
- - October 22, 2012 at 11:48:20
call in the NDP, after their wine/dine meeting at the battery, they seem to have all the answers when it comes to the fishery. your 2 ndp mp's and the provincial ndp would probably blame harper for the mess. your union seems to be useless as a 3 dollar bill, the only time the union don't screw up is when they are collecting dues.
- - October 22, 2012 at 11:42:02
The FFAW is the main reason the fishery in nl is in such a mess to hear ryan cleary on open line talking from both sides of his mouth only proves these people along with unions are are being one hundred per cent political with their affiliation with the ndp they are in constant campaign mode they should represent the people who elected them the workers of fortune are being dealt a raw deal just to help a political party get votes