The Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador has announced its shortlist for the 2012 Heritage and History Book Awards.
The shortlist, listed alphabetically by author, is:
• Kevin Major for “New Under the Sun” (University Of Toronto Press, 2010);
• Trudy Morgan-Cole for “That Forgetful Shore” (Breakwater Books, 2011);
• Agnes Walsh for “Answer Me Home” (Breakwater Books, 2011).
• Dawn Baker for “A Newfoundland Christmas” (Flanker Press, 2011);
• Andy Jones for “Jack and the Manger” (Running the Goat Books & Broadsides, 2011);
• Janet McNaughton for “The Dragon Seer’s Gift” (Harper Collins, 2011).
The winners will be announced at an event starting 7 p.m. Nov. 25, at the historic Newman Wine Vaults, 436 Water St., in St. John’s.
The Heritage and History Book Awards alternate between works of fiction and children’s/young adult books in one year, and poetry and non-fiction in the following year.
For the first time in its nine-year history, the Heritage and History Book Awards will be given to two authors, one in each category, who will each receive a $250 cash prize, representing a doubling of the total prize money awarded.