Four hospitalized after serious accident

Keith Gosse

Four people have been taken to hospital following an apparent high-speed collision between two vehicles on Kenmount Road at about eight o’clock Saturday evening.

A witness to the accident said one of the cars passed his own vehicle at a high rate of speed just a couple of seconds before colliding with another car near the intersection of Kenmount Road and Polina Road. The collision was so violent, the second vehicle was sent spinning to the corner, tearing away the rear tire and brake assembly for that vehicle and leaving it in a parking lot about fifty meters away.

Police are still directing eastbound traffic onto Polina Road from Kenmount Road as they investigate the incident.

No information is available on the extent of injuries to any of the people taken to hospital.

Geographic location: Kenmount Road, Polina Road

Comments

Comments

• Mack Bolan
    April 10, 2013 - 13:30

Surprisingly, the windows seem to be undamaged. Well, that's one nice body, but the design does not suit my style Still, I would fix that baby right up. They'll probably try and say it's totalled too, but a mere dent like that is actually far from actually being totalled. windows winnipeg

• MikeGC
    November 05, 2012 - 12:30

I have to disagree with most here to a point. You can't place blame on the RNC for not being there to catch someone speeding...this was the driver's fault! No one elses! I hope he/she gets charged with attempted murder!

• Maggie
    November 04, 2012 - 13:19

We almost got hit last night on Kenmount Road at the left turn signal by a black truck running a red light at an alarming speed, the left turn signal had already flashed a few times and we had to swerve in the middle of the road to avoid getting hit. The interesting thing is that the police were about 10 feet away attending the accident scene and this guy still ran the light!

• Concerned
    November 04, 2012 - 13:15

I agree also. The way the RNC and RCMP sanction and encourage young drivers to speed down Kenmount Road is disgusting. It's like the free will of new drivers has been taken away. The poor driver that was forced to barrell down a busy section of Kenmount Road doing Mach chicken at 8:00 in the evening must have been terrified. I guess since no other crime is ever reported in the St. John's and surrounding area, and I mean 0, our police forces have nothing better to do but sit back with a coffee and watch the races. Maybe someday we will shut the RNC down and get a proper omnipotent police force like all other city's have.

• JP
      November 04, 2012 - 18:28

Dear Whaddaya At ?, CONCERNED and TOM: I die laughing when I read all you people who have great ideas how to do OUR jobs better, but don't have the guts to get up off the couch or your computer chairs to do something about it!

• Whaddaya At ?
    November 04, 2012 - 08:28

Saw an F-150 type truck doing at least 50 mph on Topsail Rd. on Saturday, weaving in and out of traffic and, of course, not a police car to be seen. They're attending to more important matters, parked at locations for several weeks to ensure motorists are obeying new signs, such as ' NO LEFT TURN ', ' NO ENTRY ', etc. while the speeders and cellphone yakkers and texters continue to be a threat to the lives of responsible drivers.

• Harley W
      November 04, 2012 - 09:44

Traffic these days is crazy. In the last three weeks I have seen more people blow through Red lights at speed than I can recall. Some instances the arrow for the left turning lane has flashed at least twice and then you see the car go through the red. So common now I can almost count the number of times I have seen it. Reminds me of when I lived in Winnipeg years ago, driving to work at 4 am it was necessary to slow down and look when going through an intersection when I had the green. I have no idea what is wrong with people these days. The offenders I have seen is everything from young people to women with children aboard, you know those nice stickers with the family outlined in stickmen on the rear window. They'll be the first ones on open line when something happens.

• tom
      November 04, 2012 - 10:26

I agree with you. The RNC traffic division is a joke. NFLD Drive in the mornings is like a race at every stop sign and you can regularly see people with a phone in one hand and a smoke in the other. Yet, not a cop to be seen. Ever. They don't seem to tend to little things like speeding, use of signal lights or cell phone users. I saw a cop car last night go through a red light - no emerg lights on - and go to Tim Horton's on Torbay Road.