Comments

Comments

• babygirl
    November 12, 2012 - 23:31

In order to receive payment from lotto winnings, the winner must allow ALC to publish names of winning individuals. That is stated in the ALC privacy policy. otherwise, ALC is not obligated to issue payment.

• FERNE
    November 12, 2012 - 14:46

I don't think the winners have a choice-I believe that's a condition,that they're names be released...not suren but I do believe I have heard of it!

• L
    November 12, 2012 - 12:07

Jack it doesnt matter who announces who won what word spreads from word of mouth anyways so it will eventually come out that such and such won a lotto. ALC needs to have people identified so that some people out there dont say its ALC winners who always win :). Its a win lose situation.

• Jack
    November 12, 2012 - 08:25

After the Ferne Hawley situation in 2004, I thought that media agencies would know better than to announce major lottery winners. On May 22, 2004, Ferne Hawley, a former New Waterford area woman whom just lost her job days before, won over $10 million on Lotto 6/49. While winning a lottery would bring joy and happiness, it wasn't the case for Ferne as numerous people and organizations constantly harassed her for money. This stress took a toll on her and she suffered a heart attack, and was eventually forced to move out of Cape Breton. In light of the health problems Ferne Hawley endured as a result of winning Lotto 6/49, we know why news agencies should never announce major lottery winners so that what happened to Ferne won't happen to anyone else. Besides, if I ever win a Lotto Max or Lotto 6/49 major prize, given my bad luck over the last three years I may never win, I will request that Atlantic Lotto doesn't release my name so that winning a lottery won't jeopardize my health and people won't bug me for money.

• SLR
    November 12, 2012 - 06:54

Great to hear-hopefully it went to people who needed it and will use it wisely!.....Now, off I go to dig out my Family tree..hopefully, we are related!..just kidding....

• David
    November 11, 2012 - 15:08

Here's some related news: every other Newfoundlander is $20 to $100 more broke, and will do it again every single week for the rest of their lives...Yay!

• Jack
      November 12, 2012 - 08:16

That's a good point. I typically spend $21 per week on Lotto Max tickets over the last three years, and still never won a major prize yet.

• david
      November 12, 2012 - 10:27

Sorry to be blunt, Jack, but it isn't "a" good point...it''s the entire point. Lotteries are a tax on the bad-at-math, and they are used to subsidize and cover up the sorry finances of bankrupt governments. All while convincing people that they are making them "rich" instead of the truth. It is pure, unconscionable theft, but people go along with it out of both abject stupidity and irrational greed.