Comments

Comments

• Anna
    November 20, 2012 - 08:52

This is so embarrassing, to think of the serious issues, this council could be discussing and they spend time on this. It is time for this council to get its priorities straight and stop wasting time on topics like this one.

• seanoairborne
    November 14, 2012 - 16:22

I'm all for progress also,but,to tear the bandstand down is simply ignorant!!I have many fond memories of singing with a bunch of my little friends many years ago in the old bandstand...Kinda street corner bee-bop,and hearing the echo that made us sound like Pavarottis!We'd also go in there to get out of the rain.As for the place smelling like urine,that must be a recent occurrence?We simply went behind a tree or to the (urine-smelling) washrooms to take a whiz!Maybe that's what Jay was referring to?I can't remember "pinky bottles"being strewn all over the place in the bandstand.That sounds like a security issue to me.Not the fault of the bandstand!In conclusion,the bandstand at Bannerman Park should not be torn down.It would be like tearing down the Colonial Building to make way for a modern eyesore just because it's old or because some bum decides to take a whiz behind one of the columns!!That doesn't make any sense to me at all.By all means,build high rises on Water St. despite the protests of the lunatic fringe.But,please,use your heads here and incorporate the old bandstand into something a little more usable.But keep this structure and its historical and nostalgic significance in tact!

• Eastender
    November 14, 2012 - 09:01

I don,t agree on to many things that Major O,keefe do but this one I certainly agree on I grew up in the east end downtown I like others spent alot of time playing in this park,I think this band stand should be perseved if they can do it.Yes it do need to be cleaned up and a bit of work needs to be done on it.Like the other parks this is a part of history that should remain.

• Jay
      November 14, 2012 - 14:25

Doc's nostalgia seems somewhat misplaced. If he's a westender he should probably be remembering Victoria Park, or maybe Bowering Park. I grew up in the east end and can still remember going to Bannerman Park in the morning and urging at the smell of urine emanating from the bandstand. I also remember the broken pinky bottles left by the local winos keeping you at a safe distance. I can hardly ever remember a band playing there, and the only entertainment that ever came from that place was Art Stoyles playing his accordian. It's an obsolete, poorly designed eyesore. It has absolutely no historical value, and should be torn down. Why don't we replace it with something that has decent acoustics, and if we truly want to bring some honour to the new place, we should name it after Art. He's the only one who ever added any value to it.

• Doug Smith
    November 14, 2012 - 08:48

Demolish it as fast as possible. Its as ugly as sin. There is no historical value in it, why keep it ?

• Chantal
      November 14, 2012 - 09:28

Agreed, Doug, but it's no more ugly than that broken sewer pipe passing itself off as a fountain.