The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is reminding motorists to use extra care and caution when driving during inclement weather and issues a number of tips for safe driving.
• Ensure your vehicle is equipped with proper winter tires which are in good condition.
• Fill the windshield wash reservoir and ensure that your vehicle is equipped with winter wipers.
• Ensure that your vehicle is equipped with an emergency kit and a shovel.
• Clean snow off all windows, headlights and indicator lights; and remove loose snow from roof, trunk and bonnet.
• Ensure windows are defogged.
• Reduce your speed; the posted speed limit is a maximum speed for ideal driving conditions. Remember snow means slow.
• Increase the distance between you and the car in front of you.
• When approaching intersections, slow down well in advance of the intersection to ensure safe stopping.
• Allow more time between vehicles to start from a stopped position at intersections and traffic control devices.
• Always practice the 3 C's of driving: Care, Caution and Control.