Comments

Comments

• Julia
    November 27, 2012 - 09:43

I regularly fish with my family in the area of Deer Park and the old prison camp. I don't know how many times I have been up there walking from pond to pond and come close to being clipped by a speeding dirt bike or quad. You would think since you're not really out in open country up there that those who choose to enjoy their ATVs in the area would do so responsibly. I'm really surprised we haven't heard more of people getting seriously injured or killed in that area. I suspect once the cabin lots are sold off and cabins are built on the land the problem will only escalate.

• Wanda
    November 27, 2012 - 07:31

I agree totally with Lived There. I've made comments here before about the very same thing in the Brigus Junction, Whelan's Pond, Ryan's Pond and new areas being built up. Yes, ATVs and Dirt Bikes can be an enjoyable family / friendly outing, but it's really too bad in the majority of instances that's just not the case. Same dangerous driving on the ponds of Jet-Skis and high powered motor boats. If there is enough snow, the next thing is ski-doos. These are suppose to be fun items, not potential killers used improperly by humans.

• original townie
    November 27, 2012 - 06:39

This happened 11:30 Friday night. You can pretty much assure alcohol, speed and / or no helmet was involved. ATV's don't kill people. It's the person's decisions as to how they operete these machines that do. Don't fault this form of recreation because of a small percentage of "nut bars". Many families have hours of enjoyment together with these machines when right decisions are made.

• Disgusted
      November 27, 2012 - 13:36

To ORIGINAL TOWNIE- Are you serious? That has to be the most judgmental thing I have ever heard. Just because it was at 11:30 on Friday night? Seriously? Should we assume that all accidents that happen at that hour involve alcohol or speed? Everyone has the right to their opinion and surely you are entitled to yours. And you also have the right to post it as you did.... but I seriously think people who post in these threads really should take a step back and put yourself in other peoples shoes. What if this was your Father? Brother? Husband? Uncle? How would you feel if alcohol or speed absolutely were NOT involved and people were making posts such as yours? Did it ever once cross your mind that a medical problem may have caused the accident?!?! Have a little bit of dignity and respect. Believe it or not, people have had medical issues that CAUSED accidents.

• Lived There
    November 26, 2012 - 22:25

I just moved to NL this summer and had a place on that very road and had to deal with 4 wheelers on a daily basis so much so I had to go to the police to have something done .....Don't know what happen with this guy but the way they drive on that road is unreal 30 km zone and they go full out all the time ..half don't wear helmets or have license plates to even operate ..seeing children as young as 10 years old driving a 600cc bike also ..new it would only be a mater of time before one of them died ...laws should be more harsh on these in the province never seen so much stupidity in my life and they get away with it all cause the police cant chase them and charge them ...part of my moving from that area was because of the 4 wheelers running wild and crazy.. cottage country sucks in this province because of them I can tell you that much for sure ...They have no respect for the danger they can cause to others as well as themselves .....

• david