‘He’s one in a million’

Andrew
Andrew Robinson

Telegram carrier helps elderly customer up from fall

Telegram carrier Braedon Grace gets a hug from Betty Thistle after the 13 year old rescued her after she fell. — Photo by Gary Hebbard/The Telegram

Betty Thistle thinks quite highly of her Telegram carrier, 13-year-old Braedon Grace, and not just because he delivers the paper early each morning.

The Mount Pearl resident was retrieving her weekend paper from the mailbox last month when she took an unexpected tumble onto the ground.

“I went out in me pyjamas and housecoat — there’s nobody around,” recalled Thistle, who says she has been reading The Telegram for close to 70 years.

She closed one door behind her to keep the dog inside and opened another to retrieve the paper at approximately 8:15 a.m. Betty lives in Mount Pearl with her son, David, and daughter-in-law, Sue, both of whom were inside the house at the time of the incident.

“You know Saturday’s paper is always bigger and thicker, and I was trying to dig it out, and I somehow lost my balance or misstepped or did something, and I went (down) on the flat of my back.”

Braedon was finishing off his first week as a carrier when he heard his customer scream.

“I was just after putting the other person’s paper in the mailbox, and heard a scream and a thump from her head,” he said, speaking with The Telegram while seated in the Thistles’ living room. “I looked across and I ran across and helped her.”

“I didn’t pass out,” said Betty. “I was lying there, and out of the corner of my eye I saw this young fella, galloping across the street.”

She recalls being grateful once she realized Braedon had come to help her.

“I caught him out of the corner of my eye, and I said, ‘Sir Galahad, you’ve come to save me,’” she said with a laugh.

Braedon attempted to help Betty get back on her feet, but it was not a task he could do by himself. She then told him to ring the doorbell to alert the rest of her family, which he did.

David and Sue Thistle subsequently came outside to assist her in getting up.

“As you were going,” said Betty, looking at Braedon, “you didn’t hear when I said, ‘Thank you.’”

Sue said her mother-in-law was fortunate to have fallen where she did. Had it occurred a foot  away, Betty’s head likely would have struck concrete.

In the end, the fall left a bruise on the back of her head and her lower back.

Betty is still experiencing some discomfort in her lower back as a result of the fall, though she has not felt the need to visit a hospital.

Thinking about the incident after the fact, she is very impressed by Braedon’s decisive actions. She is equally appreciative of his effort to get up every morning at 6 a.m. to take care of his paper route before school starts.

“He’s one in a million, this child here.”

arobinson@thetelegram.com

Twitter: @TeleAndrew

Geographic location: Mount Pearl

Comments

Comments

• Donna
    November 30, 2012 - 13:14

Very nice Story!! We need more of these stories in todays world! Good job to an amazing young man, amazing parents and an amazing person who is thankful for someones kindness. Kindness is all around us....Seeing it and being thankful for it...That's the key!

• Our youth
    November 30, 2012 - 11:53

Beautiful Story. Great job Braedon! Nice when we get a "Good News" story about our youth. Unfortunately we often hear the negative - but indeed there are many good news stories, like this one, that should be spread about our youth.

• Kelly Grace
    November 30, 2012 - 11:34

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. We are so proud of Braedon.

• STEPHEN SEARS
    November 30, 2012 - 11:20

GOOD JOB BRAEDON YOU WILL BE AN INSPIRATION TO OTHER CHILDREN. I TO DELIVERED THE TELEGRAM FOR 8 YEARS

• june cave
    November 30, 2012 - 10:19

Good for you Braedon, you were taught to be a good person by a very special man. He passed his good nature to help other people onto you. Your mom must be so proud of the wonderful young man you are.

• KMW
    November 30, 2012 - 09:37

Great job, Braedon! As a previous commenter said it's nice to hear a good story about teens these days since all we seem to hear is the bad. I hope others lead by your example and treat all people, especially the elderly, with such care and compassion.

• Dan
    November 30, 2012 - 08:21

What a fantastic young man, don't ever lose the heart warming helpful attitude you have, it will lead you to a fantastic and happy life.

• flexxa
    November 30, 2012 - 07:33

...good news, even better kid especially in this day and age when all we seem to hear about is the up and coming career criminals.

• SLR
    November 30, 2012 - 07:31

This just warmed my heart!!! Way to go Braedon....if this were a more serious incident (thankfully it wasn't) you may have been the one to save this ladies life!! So happy to know people(especially the younger generation) still care!

• Ron Tizzzard
    November 30, 2012 - 06:58

We live in a newsy kind of world, news at our fingertips...literally. In that kind of world and at that kind of pace we lose a lot of the small things that happen...for the most part we live off the headlines, and don't often see the stars amongst the constellations of politics, miseries ans complaints . Betty Thistle brought forward, albeit, by a happenstance (as often is the case), another shining star in Braedon Grace. Braedon, you and your generation are the essence of evidence that we, the older generation, are in good hands as we move along, with every confidence that we will be leaving this 'globe' in very good hands. Mom and Dad...I hope you are beaming....proud today.

• Nice work Braedon
    November 30, 2012 - 06:50

This is a nice story. My youngsters were paper carriers for more than 10 years. Besides learning responsibility, it was a great way for them to meet people in the neighborhood whom they would not have otherwise known. The older people in particluar really enjoyed connecting everyday with a young person. My youngest son always took our dog with him. At Christmas the older customers would always have something special for both him and the dog. When he graduated from high school, many of them were there to see their own grandchildren, but when my son went up to receive his diploma and awards, they were equally proud of him. I heard many of them say with pride, "That boy was my paper carrier. " Many of them ask to this day how he is doing. Being a paper carrier broadens the community and support system for both the carriers and their customers.