Comments

Comments

• JJ
    March 25, 2013 - 09:31

It doesn't really matter. These cops beat the crap outta the cars they have now so they'll just beat the hell outta these new ones too. I think the new cars look nice but so did the crown vics until they handed the officers the keys.

• Aguy
    December 06, 2012 - 20:15

If you do some research on this car (heck try youtube or ford's website) This car is going to be way better! It is rated at a higher fuel mileage (over a force of thousands of police cars this will save a good chunk in tax money that goes to gas), It is standard all wheel drive compared to rear wheel drive so any province that gets snow (all of us) it will handle way better in winter time, Also it is rated at a 385 hp engine compared to the old 250. Whats the bad part of it again?

• Coaster
    December 06, 2012 - 10:23

The RCMP know the condition of the Bay D'Espoir Highway and the new model - the Police Interceptor - probably wouldn't last a year on it.

• Wow
      December 10, 2012 - 10:38

I rather have a all wheel drive in the snow instead of a rear wheel to be honest . Just saying !!

• Tim Jamison
    December 06, 2012 - 10:14

If it can keep up at high-speeds the way it's predecessor did, then who cares?

• rj
    December 06, 2012 - 07:42

Guys, this is not a decision by the RCMP to switch to a new cruiser, Ford has stopped making the old one. Police cars only last 3-4 years--which means that the RCMP has to replace 25% of it's fleet every year. So the RCMP, like most other police forces that primarily use Crown Vics, has to switch to a different model. They're not doing it to save gas, and they're probably not spending any more than they were spending on the old ones.

• Why the whining?
    December 05, 2012 - 15:06

I think that this is a positive and responsible move on behalf of our government - and I rarely have the opportunity to say that! The says of high speed wild west chases are over. You can't outrun a radio and there are safer ways now being used to end pursuits. Get rid of the gas guzzlers, they've outlived their purpose. Hopefully other government agencies will follow the RCMP's lead.

• Wow
    December 05, 2012 - 14:23

You guys are idiots, your making it sound like the RCMP are changing their fleet because they want too, and your going to bash them because so!!! The story states that the crown Victoria has been discontinued by the manufacturer, where now they have no choice. Whether you realize it or not the flex fuel is probably not by choice as well as most vehicles are flex fuel to start with from the manufacturer. Thank you RCMP for letting us know that we will see different looking cars on the road. So know I will not be so alarmed being stopped or seeing someone stop by a unmarked / suspicious looking vehicle Thanks, keep doing the great job protecting us, even if the justice system is not where it should be.... Once again beyond the RCMP s control.

• david
      December 05, 2012 - 16:13

You are either employed by the RCMP, the salesman looking to sell the new vehicles, someone who does not pay any taxes, or an oblivious fool. This is as completely mindlessly stupid as stupid gets. Expensive, needless, clueless stupid.

• Wow Dave
      December 10, 2012 - 10:37

Wow you are wrong once again DAVE. I am not employed by either police force. Nor Am I employee by any vehicle manufacturer Your complaining/whining about the new vehicle. Why ??? If Ford discontinued the crown Vic then oh well take your beef to Ford not the police, what can we do. Their are probably only three manufacturers who make police pursuit rated vehicles in North America chev, dodge, and ford. I'm not going to rant because of their choice of vehicle. I could care less what they drive for vehicles. It could be the worst gas burning vehicle in the world for all I care. I don't complain about my neighbours gas guzzler nor so I complain about my very own gas guzzler. My rant was about your pointless rant and whining about the government and their choice of cars So go ahead and call me stupid and try to make my feeling hurt if you like..... Oh wait I don't have feelings. But I bet it made you feel special xo

• Missing Ifnormation
    December 05, 2012 - 13:35

Great article Telegram. The new car is more fuel efficient. What's the fuel efficiency for it? Where are the details here? This was article worthy but you didn't bother providing anything to show that it is more fuel efficient.

• ORR Navigator
    December 05, 2012 - 13:33

If it's a Ford, it'll be in the shop more often than on the road; best vehicle for RCMP to use is a souped-up dump truck; they're the fasted things on the ORR.

• david
    December 05, 2012 - 12:36

Yes...let's replace a perfectly good fleet of police cars to fuel-efficient types --- to chase down and catch criminals, bring into the completely wasteful, ineffecttive, useless justice system that results in little punishment, no deterrent, and costs a whole 'nuther fortune, and then go chase down the jerks down again, again, and again....using a bit less gasoline. Brilliant priorities there. We're saved!