Comments

Comments

• open for business
    December 11, 2012 - 11:56

mr business man you sir are a hypicrit. eg. you want to outsource to save $$ in one comment but in the other comment you dont outsource cos you want to keep the jobs in Canada. and the person who removes the "honey" bucket is just as important as the person who sits in an office on the top floor, just ask the person on the top floor after his "honey" bucket has been left around for a few days. also Mr. business man , a country worth living in is a country that looks after ALL it's citizens, you sir would pick and choose. Canada used to be one of the best countries in the world when it looked after all its citizens and there are many different ways of looking after people rather then your way. a canadian does a job and spends his earnings in Canada, a foreigner does a job and spends his earnings outside of Canada. i know this for a fact because i know foreign workers who work here in Newfoundland, it's the same for people who work in Fort mac, much of the money is sent home to eastern Canada, which is a good thing cos it's people looking after people unlike your way of thinking.

• a business man
      December 12, 2012 - 12:27

I am not a hypocrite. Rather, I am a man of free choice who has the right to pick and choose. I don't want to look after all of the jobs/workers in the economy, but rather only the jobs/workers that benefit me. I don't want my grand-kids to end up manufacturing anything, so I am happy, yes happy, to outsource and offshore manufacturing jobs. I am happy to see them go. it is not my job to look after all citizens, but it is my job to look after those that are care about. So, yes, I pick and choose. I choose not to offshore white collar jobs because those jobs are good jobs, clean jobs, respectable jobs. They are not dirty, sweaty, smelly blue collar jobs. It is my right to pick and choose. To your second point, I honestly don't care how my workers spend their money. They earned it and they have a right to spend it. If they want to send it somewhere else, or make a dollar bill sandwich, that is their choice. That said, I will not hesitate to replace them with a cheaper worker, because my sole motivation is profit. I am not in the business of providing a life or a job to people who I do not know. I am in the business of building profitable companies and making money. Please don't call me names for exercising my rights. If you disagree, then great, but why take the time to call me names when you could undermine my point. Oh, I get it. Because no matter what you say, or how you say it, I have the right to pick and choose. Therefore, your only recourse it to call me names. In any case, I will still pick and choose.

• a business man
      December 12, 2012 - 12:43

I had to post again to address your comment that " the person who removes the "honey" bucket is just as important as the person who sits in an office on the top floor, just ask the person on the top floor after his "honey" bucket has been left around for a few days"................your sentenced demonstrates the problem with our economy. We have unskilled uneducated workers who remove honey buckets for a living and think they should be part of the middle class. What skills are need to remove that bucket of honey? I am waiting for an answer. The person on the top floor has to have leadership skills, financial skills, computer skills, networking skills, confidence and common sense. They are often highly educated. The guy who moved the honey, well he just needs arms. Sorry to be harsh, but a unskilled uneducated worker is worth less than the minimum wage, and only get the minimum wage because of the law. Yes. we are all people, but we are not equal when it comes to our skills and abilities. If unskilled uneducated worker A does not want to move the honey, then I can just hire unskilled uneducated worker B. And then, if the TFWP allows me to hire unskilled uneducated worker C for a cheaper cost, then unskilled worker A and B will be shown the door, and I will ask unskilled worker C if he knows anyone to take the jobs of unskilled uneducated workers M through P. The reality is that an unskilled uneducated worker (the guy who removes the honey bucket) is just a replaceable, dispensable tool that will be used until a better/cheaper/faster model becomes available. Canada is becoming a nation where one needs a education and specialized skills to reach the middle class. And as a highly educated citizen, I am happy about this. As a taxpayer and citizen, this is the Canada that I have been waiting for.

• Canada is open for business
    December 10, 2012 - 19:45

if your a Canadian Apprentice you cant get work until you get experience. you can't get experience until you get work. same rules do not apply to foreigners cos they work for less and expect less. no problem, canadians who don't wanna work for less can work for timmies, mac's or drive taxi, after all those foreign workers need transportation and food.

• a business man
      December 11, 2012 - 09:58

Good post. When a skilled trades man, I really don't care where the come from. If a foreigner will do the work for less, then he will get the job on the sole basis that it will leave more money in my pocket. There is a shortages of apprenticeships in Canada, but the foreigners come ready to go. Again, I do not select a tradesman on the basis of developing Canada's workforce, I select based on the almighty dollar. At the end of the day, I want the best value for money. I just don't care who actually does the work, as long as it gets done.

• a business man
    December 10, 2012 - 18:30

this middle class is not dead. It has just changed. Long gone are the days when an unskilled uneducated labourer can be part of the middle class, and I think this is a good thing. I don't want a middle class that is comprised of unskilled blue collar workers. Rather, I want a middle class that is made up of white collar, knowledge based jobs. Examples include analysts, accountants, IT people and other desk jobs. I know I come on here and talk about the benefits of outsourcing and offshoring, but I have never offshored a white collar job. I have not done so because these are jobs that I want for our middle class...these are the jobs that I want for my family and friends. I am happy to offshore and outsource blue collar jobs, because I view these jobs as being not good enough for Canadians. I am a taxpayer and voter, and I am happy that blue collar middle class jobs are disappearing. Canada, as a nation, is too good for blue collar work. That is just my opinion, but I live my life by it. I am happy with economy because we have been shedding blue collar jobs for years. I am also happy that housing is so expensive because it means there are more people who are renting. As a residential landlord, this means more customers for me. I am happy post secondary education is so expensive, as that means less competition for my family members. As far as i am concerned, this is the Canada that I have been voting for.

• omg
    December 10, 2012 - 17:46

you need to eliminate the welfare system and train those who are sitting on the arses collecting tax dollars. There are more able bodied people sitting home on welfare not a thing wrong with them,,, make them work and earn a living... it would probably cost the government less to train the people already in Canada then to bring people here from other countries... from what i have seen in recent years the immigrants they have been allowing to enter the country are treated better than the people born and raised here. Train your own country men first before looking elsewere

• harold
    December 10, 2012 - 14:10

this comment was taken from the globe and mail earlier today, monday 10/12/2012. Mjefferson 11:44 AM on December 10, 2012 Dearly Beloved, We are gathered here today to remember and pay respects to our recently deceased Middle Class. It was a glorious time when a Canadian could look forward to an honest and respectful pay for a good job in Canada. When housing was a dream to be realized and a secondary eduction available for those who worked hard. Training could be had so that one could transform from an unskilled being to a decently paid high-skilled worker. Where child rearing could be done in the comfort that better days were always ahead of us. Unfortunately, apathy, media control and voter suppression infected our once proud country like the darkest of plagues. A great evil grew from our heartland and devoured our democracy and hope. In its wake, nothing was left but Corporate greed, hatred and complete government control by the heartless and Soulless. There was not penny left in the coffer for charity, education, training or improvement in Canadian standard of living. It all was in the hands of a few Godless beasts and their Corporate machine. So here we are today the faceless masses of Canadian serfs, huddled outside Parliaments Corporate Gates, realizing we don't recognize Canada anymore...just like he had promised us.