Second barn destroyed by fire

Louis Power

Firefighters are at the scene of another major barn fire in Goulds.

The barn, on Ruby Line, is fully engulfed, and firefighters are trying to get water to the scene as there are no hydrants nearby.

Seven horses and some goats were said to have been in the barn, and none are known to have survived.

The Telegram will provide more information as it becomes available.

When the fire broke out, the RNC was investigating another barn fire that happened Monday morning in the area of Back Line in Goulds.

No injuries were reported from the first barn fire, and all livestock was safely evacuated from the building. The barn was completely destroyed.

Geographic location: Goulds

Comments

Comments

• Kelly Ann
    December 11, 2012 - 10:49

This is beyond sickening. Family beyond devastated. Livestock? No. These horses were family. And if in fact this was intentional I hope the person or people involved are caught quick. This is down right muder. Makes me sick to think that someone out there would get it in their mind to do such a malicious act. My heart is with family

• John
    December 11, 2012 - 09:24

This past summer I was driving by this stable with my family, and my young children asked to stop and look at the horses out in the corral. We did, and the caretaker of these magnificent animals let us come up to the fence to get a closer look. He even took us into the stable to meet the goats. My children were especially taken up with the smallest horse named "Moose" and the caretaker brought Moose close for us to pet. Since then, whenever we drive by, my daughter wonders out loud how Moose is doing. When we heard this story on the news this morning her first statement was "I hope Moose is alright". Tragically it appears that he is not. Seeing the reaction of my daughter makes me realize just how hurtful this must be to the owner or owners.

• sue mcdonald
    December 11, 2012 - 09:23

Hi i'm writhing from OTTAWA ONTARIO this is so sad my family in NFLD are suffering with great lost i'm so sorry to here about fires. If set deliberately i hope they catch this person soon . In Ontario the government want to destroy the horse racing industry people may not get to keep the horses they love and god knows they don't wont to have to put them down. But when you cant feed your family you have to make hard choices this is a rough time for racing industry but in NFLD they race for nothing its the love of their horses that keep them going they all have jobs and race horses simply for the love of the sport and their pets. My daughter lost her horse in this fire his name was HERO and her cousin lost all her horses i hope they all RIP in a horse paradise. And in ONTARIO we will keep fighting this government so people can still make a living doing what they love best race horses its a great industry i hope the government will have a change of heart ........ Sue McDonald OTTAWA ONTARIO

• Perry Howlett
    December 11, 2012 - 09:11

Having been a horse owner and caring for livestock I am appalled at how some people think. Horses are almost human as you can teach them to do many good things.They become part of our family and indeed kept many of our families going years ago by farming the grounds and hauling the wood for heating our homes, yes and working in the mines on Bell Island. Horses did more than a lot of the lazy loots who think nothing but destroy what belongs to others. I feel sorry for these precious animals and their owners.

• Katherine Browne
    December 11, 2012 - 09:08

I think the phrase "only livestock" was very insensitive. Anyone who knows horses would know that they are so much more than just big animals we keep as pets. we build very strong connections with them and they have their own personalities. Believe it or not, its like losing good friends.

• Tracey
    December 11, 2012 - 06:29

What do you mean, "thankfully it was only barns and livestock"? That's still money that someone spent to build that barn and I am sure the barn materials inside it were costly enough. Also an animals life or a humans life. Its still a life being taken. A life for a life is still not good enough, and if it is arson, they better find whoever did it. And they better be convicted. This type of act is not good enough. You can replace materials but you can't replace a life.

• Bob
    December 11, 2012 - 06:22

It sounds too suspicious to be a mere coincidence.If it was indeed arson,the perpetrator will get a suspended sentence and a cheque from the government for all the inconvenience and hardship it has caused them.That's the way the legal system operates.

• Tracy
    December 11, 2012 - 06:09

This really screams arson, how convenient is it that there were no hydrants around. This really breaks my heart, so many people who lived in the area really enjoyed stopping to watch these beautiful animals. They will be sorely missed. I hope no more innocent animals have to perish, there's no making sense of this.

• JT
    December 11, 2012 - 06:04

This looks very suspicious. If it is arson, I hope they catch the SOB. If it indeed is an arsonaist, and he/she lights up another barn, I hope he/she perishes (slowly) in the fire they set.

• Jessica
    December 11, 2012 - 05:11

I hope people realize that this is not just "livestock"... these are peoples babies being killed. Thankfully yes there was no human loss of life but these acts have turned lives upside down. The Equestrian community here is in shambles... never before have I been so worried about my horses life and safety. Dozens of people spent the nights at their barns watching over their beloved animals tonight regardless of work, exams, or other commitments... These animals come first and foremost in many peoples lives. I know I spent the entire night with my eyes on my horse, as did many other people in our tight knit horse community here. I hope this person is found and punished adequately, and soon, because no one will be sleeping soundly at my barn or any other barn here until that happens.

• JT
      December 11, 2012 - 09:00

Jessica, the punishment I would feist on an "alleged" asonist such as this would take them permanently out of society. People like this cannot be rehabilitated, they are derranged psycopath's. A rock has more empathy.

• sounds suspicious
    December 10, 2012 - 23:15

To have two fires, both in barns in the same community on the same day sounds very suspicious to me, it dont sound like it would be a coincidence, i hope that when the fire investigations are completed that if it is found that someone intentionally started them that they will get caught and pay for their actions. I hope that both of the fires were accidental in nature but like i said before, both on the same day, in the same community and both barns sounds very suspicious to me.

• Max
    December 10, 2012 - 23:13

Seems like there may be an arsonist on the loose Thankfully only Barns and livestock have been affected thus far., No Human loss of life

• Horse Owner
      December 11, 2012 - 01:12

I wouldn't exactly say "thankfully only barns and livestock have been affected thus far" That seems a little disrespectful to the owners that lost their horses and goats. I myself as a horse owner had my heart broken in half when I heard about this. We- the horse racing community of NL are VERY passionate about our animals. This is a huge loss. Being almost 3am , its safe to say all horse owners are on alert by these two tragedies. These are our pets- the same as most have cats or dogs- we have these beautiful majestic LOYAL animals who give us unconditional love back. I would look at this the same as a loss of a human. These horses are part of us and our families. If anyone is behind this., they will be caught. We may race against each other- but we stick together like a family. My heart is with all affected. Stay strong and lets hope theres some answers!

• jt
      December 11, 2012 - 06:01

Thankfully only livestock?

• AMY
      December 11, 2012 - 07:58

Please tell me I just read your comment wrong. Nope, just read it again. Max, seem like you need a reality check. Only barns and livestock? If that were my horse it would have destroyed me. The word livestock does not do these animals justice. A horse can be a pet and like mine, a family member. Have some respect.

• Niki
      December 11, 2012 - 09:15

Wow...."only livestock affected"....clearly you don't have any idea how the owners of the "livestock" are feeling today. If you knew ANYTHING of horses and equestrian life you would know that these animals are intelligent, loyal, fun loving, determined, hard working LIVING CREATURES. They pop up a shoulder to keep you on should you seem to be losing your balance. They nuzzle into your sleeve after a really great ride. They run around, tossing their head before dropping to roll joyfully in the new fallen snow. They are the legs for children who can't walk, the eyes for riders who can't see. They impact more lives than you know. They are, for some, a family member, for some, a livelihood, and sometimes both. A little respect. Human life, human hearts, are CERTAINLY affected by this tragedy.

• Harold
    December 10, 2012 - 23:08

What a senseless cowardly act, I hope the person responsible for this receives the full impact that the law can deliver.

• ...
    December 10, 2012 - 22:03

No way this can be an accident, so sad. Whoever is doing this is sick!

• Bernice Sheehan
      December 11, 2012 - 01:40

So senseless if this turns out to be deliberate then the person or persons are evilll without a concious ....... the worst of human nature