Comments

Comments

• Maggie
    December 12, 2012 - 17:39

Anyone who loves critters is grieving today. My heart goes out to the owners of these horses and goats and also to the people who lost their barns. I am glad that no people were injured including the owners and the brave firefighters. Hard to believe that both burned in the same day and the two events are unrelated. However stranger things have happened. Its a sad day!

• Emma
    December 12, 2012 - 13:44

As a horse owner of 2 I would be very upset but you can not jump to conclusion that it was arson as it was very rainy and wet out the night of the fire also hay is combustible if you know anything horses,so many barns have burnt down because of hay catching on fire , it could have Been the wiring who knows? Anything also it would have been impossible to start a fire from the inside because the barn was locked . The barn was also brand new so anything I have been in this barn before .

• Emma
    December 12, 2012 - 13:32

• Horse lover
    December 12, 2012 - 09:35

Regardless of how all this happened, those poor beautiful animals. My heart goes out to the families that may have lost in this tragedy. It is hard to suffer any loss of person or animal anytime of the year and so close to Christmas time. Breaks my heart.

• MADDIE
    December 11, 2012 - 16:53

Just for the information of the uninformed, damp/decomposing hay produces a gas that combusts, starting the majority of any and all barn fires... well, anywhere. I understand that we as Newfoundlanders typically have bright, sunny and dry weather all through December but try to be understanding that there may have been some dampness recently.

• Jill
    December 11, 2012 - 13:41

My heart goes out to the families who lost their beloved horses (and goats). It's hard to lose a pet at any time, but to loose them this way is absolutely heartbreaking.

• joe
    December 11, 2012 - 08:46

Thats what we pay all the high taxes for here in the Goulds. Services no better than what we had before we were forced to join the city!

• Don
    December 11, 2012 - 08:41

If it is arson ( and I suspect it is) then I know they will catch this sicko and I hope he's tared and feathered.

• stacey
    December 11, 2012 - 08:02

Of course its an arsonist Jack. No way in HELL 2 barns in the same area in one day. That sick sick animal will get caught and get whats coming to him, he attacked the wrong family.He murdered innocent animals who were suppose to be SAFE in their barn. This person murdered family members, beloved family members. This world is messed up, how can we be apart of the great ape family when all we do it kill and destroy this earth? Im ashamed and embarrassed for this murderer and anyone who takes the life of an animal.

• Jack
      December 11, 2012 - 08:49

Stacey, I'm only the using the words "suspect" is that we don't know if the fires are connected. Remember the string of fires that happened in the Irish Loop area last year, while suspected that arson is the cause, it turned out that the fires were not connected. That's why I'm using the term "suspected" at this time.

• Herb
      December 11, 2012 - 14:16

"Of course it was an arsonist"???? How do you know it was Arson?? A little quick to judge aren't we? You have NO facts!!! So typical. Jump to the worst conclusion before any evidence is presented. It's people like you that taint jury's and put innocent people in jail!!! And you repeatedly say "He". How do you know it wasn't a woman? Once again WAY to quick to judge. Stop the hate!!! You'll live longer!

• Jack
    December 11, 2012 - 06:49

With two barn fires in the Goulds area in one day, I'm starting to suspect that an arsonist is targeting farms in that area.

• Sadie
      December 11, 2012 - 07:47

Two barns in one day, both with many beautiful, expensive horses.......very suspicious. Has there been any word on how these fires started? And no hydrants nearby? Should be quite a cause of concern for residents there.