Raymond Newman case on assault, threat charges in court today

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Raymond Gerald Newman. — Telegram file photo

Raymond Gerald Newman — acquitted last month of murdering his estranged wife in 2007 — had his case on charges of assault, uttering threats, mischief and failure to comply with  conditions of an undertaking called in provincial court in St. John’s today.

The matter was set over to Dec. 21.

Newman was represented in provincial court today by his lawyer Mike King.

King told Judge Lois Skanes that this case has been ongoing for sometime, but was put over to await the outcome of the murder case in Newfoundland Supreme Court. Now that the murder case is over, King said he is in discussions with Crown prosecutor Phil LeFeuvre on how the case on the current charges will proceed.

Newman — who had been awaiting trial for murder in connection with the stabbing death of his estranged wife, Chrissy Predham-Newman — walked away a free man Nov. 28 more than three years after he was arrested and charged with murder.

The acquittal was entered after most of the evidence collected by police during the investigation into the death of Chrissy Predham-Newman was thrown out in pre-trial applications, leaving the Crown no choice but to cease proceedings.

The Crown is appealing the decisions in the pre-trial applications.

Predham-Newman's body was found in her Airport Heights apartment in St. John's Jan. 21, 2007.

Organizations: Airport Heights

Geographic location: St. John's

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Elik
    December 13, 2012 - 21:00

    Absolute incompetency by RNC dealing with the Newman case(s). My Christmas wish for him is a 8 x 10 box that will last about 10 years.