Comments

Comments

• Duffy
    December 19, 2012 - 14:48

Please understand what is happening here. The Towns "Overseers" always say "We don't raise taxes" and then use the mill rate based on valuations to raise your taxes. Nothing but BS from them as they spend more-more-more because it is not their money. They use the valuations system to raise and get more revenue and then pretend it is not their fault.

• Derek
    December 19, 2012 - 12:36

Interesting math as if based on a value given as $220,000. before the 45% value increase (more in the tune of 47%) the take, based on last years rate would have been $2024. but at the new level and rate the take will be $2137. or an increase of $113. (not $75.) which is an increase of 5.6%. The poor folk in CBS faired worse if you use the same house values and same supposed 45% value increase the go from $1958. per year to $2201., an increase of $243. or 12.41%. Based on a 47% re-assesment it increases to a 14% increase in tax. Guess the differance in Mount Pearl and CBS is that CBS has a harbour and 2 fire stations of their own.

• Patrick
      December 20, 2012 - 07:50

Derek the calculation assumes $220,000 is the 2013 assessed value, resulting in taxes of $1474 at 6.7 mils. If you back 45% increase off of $220,000 you get just over $150,000 which would be $1403 in tax at 9.25 mils. That difference is $71 in tax or somewhere under 5% change.

• Wince
    December 19, 2012 - 09:30

I'm also from Mt Pearl. Those garbage cans are the bomb!!! I have no trouble with wind, and I haven't seen any of my neighbours bins blow around, although they do tip over. If you have trouble wheeling it through snow, I suggest shoveling first.

• Jenny
      December 19, 2012 - 09:37

I also live in Mt. Pearl and I absolutely love the new garbage system. No worries about gulls or crows tearing up the garbage - even with the garbage nets, they managed to haul it out through the mesh!! Mine is always at the end of my driveway when I get home at the end of the day. It's the same system being used in many cities - cudos to Mt Pearl for implementing this system!

• Steve
    December 19, 2012 - 07:22

Just how much was wasted on the city's new garbage can fiasco? There is a reason St. John's dropped the same program. It should be fun pushing these damn things around during snow storms and trying to find them down road during windy days. I wonder how many will end up in snow banks during plowing operations? Just who supplied these garbage can, and the cost?

• Steve
      December 19, 2012 - 08:07

It's funny, Steve, I am a resident of Mount Pearl and my garbage can hasn't blown away on me and I have had no issues rolling it through the snow. Finally, on those days when it might be 'too bad' out there for weather I just leave the bin where it's stored. Our home (two adults and one child) only ever generate one bag of garbage in the run of a week and the bins can take up to 3 or 4 full bags, so it just goes out the following week.